mikey's Thread of Penguin Randomness

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:58 pm

I understand Beetle sticking around. He’d be in a similar or worse situation on a different team. Riikola could be a regular somewhere and make more cash. That’s the weird one to me.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:02 pm

Riikola and Beetle back to the fourth pairing for the third consecutive year. So **** weird.
No idea why they keep signing here when the team does anything possible not to play them... And why they keep re-signing them if they aren't going to play them... Very strange.
I guess I kind of get it? I have no idea what Riikola would fetch on the open market (any ideas @mikey), but $1.15MM for two seasons is a hell of a lot more than he would get if he went back home. Ruhwedel is a guy who could make like every other fringe player in the league and jump from spot to spot every year looking for playing time but instead decided to take league minimum on a one-way deal in exchange for stability and $4mm in contract value over the six seasons he's signed for. There's no guarantee that he wouldn't be moved, but the organization likes him to the point of signing a depth defenseman to multi-year deals. It's just baffling to me from an organizational perspective that we keep signing these two, never use them, and then actively try to replace them.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:05 pm

I guess I kind of get it? I have no idea what Riikola would fetch on the open market (any ideas mikey), but $1.15MM for two seasons is a hell of a lot more than he would get if he went back home. Ruhwedel is a guy who could make like every other fringe player in the league and jump from spot to spot every year looking for playing time but instead decided to take league minimum on a one-way deal in exchange for stability and $4mm in contract value over the six seasons he's signed for. There's no guarantee that he wouldn't be moved, but the organization likes him to the point of signing a depth defenseman to multi-year deals. It's just baffling to me from an organizational perspective that we keep signing these two, never use them, and then actively try to replace them.
Ruhwedel played in 41 games last year.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:09 pm

I guess I kind of get it? I have no idea what Riikola would fetch on the open market (any ideas mikey), but $1.15MM for two seasons is a hell of a lot more than he would get if he went back home. Ruhwedel is a guy who could make like every other fringe player in the league and jump from spot to spot every year looking for playing time but instead decided to take league minimum on a one-way deal in exchange for stability and $4mm in contract value over the six seasons he's signed for. There's no guarantee that he wouldn't be moved, but the organization likes him to the point of signing a depth defenseman to multi-year deals. It's just baffling to me from an organizational perspective that we keep signing these two, never use them, and then actively try to replace them.
Ruhwedel played in 41 games last year.
Never would have guessed it was that many. Shows how injured our defense was last year.

Lelldorin

Postby Lelldorin » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:57 am

If I read the UFA list correctly, we can get Galchenyuk back for free ;) Jokes aside, it will be interesting to see what contracts he, Granlund and Vatanen get...

However, I think our GM is really tempted to sign Sheary once more.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:57 am

This may very well be a legit leak of a new jersey.

Or maybe Fanatics has a "fashion" line coming. Either way, r/hockeyjerseys seems to think this is legit. If this is the new alt, it would be maddening. If this was reversed in black, it'd be perfect.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:00 am

No.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:16 am

I like it.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:18 am

It's just frustrating because it could be perfect. Reverse the colors, get rid of that **** alt logo and replace with the triangle logo and you got fire. I'm sure some will bemoan the lack of pigeon though.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:21 am

Source of the post I'm sure some will bemoan the lack of pigeon though.
PIGEON 4 LYFE YOU HACK

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:26 am

I was raised to hate that logo because Mario did. I will not apologize.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:25 am

Hello fellow Bruins fans.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:29 am

Looks pretty bad there...

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:52 am

That looks like an internet shop job honestly

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:59 am

Yeah, I agree, but r/hockeyjerseys is pretty convinced it's legit. They think it's either a leak of the new jersey, a prototype, or a new fashion line. Prototype doesn't make sense since it would be Adidas not Fanatics. The eBay seller is from Jawa Barat, Indonesia where there is a production factory.

meow

Postby meow » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:46 pm

I’ll reserve judgement until I see the buckets, gloves, socks and shells.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:51 pm

Cody Ceci is really a weird watch...he's a half beat behind, sometimes a whole beat...and he's just surprisingly not proactive about things...outlet passing didn't look bad though...I don't know that he helps us...he's an upgrade on Johnson, but meh...I just don't know what he's programmed to do...

meow

Postby meow » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:53 pm

That’s pretty similar to my take. Little urgency. Kind of listless. At least JJ was trying to spear tackle people.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:14 pm

actually if the PITTSBURGH font was a little bigger I would like it a lot. seems like a knock off of a real jersey when the nameplates and numbers get the wrong size

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:19 pm

A bit smaller that these:

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:24 pm

Or this one..

Keep in mind that even if this is real, it's a Fanatics jersey and those are ****.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:51 pm

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/301 ... nguin-more
ESPN: The NHL draft was just completed recently. You were drafted 43rd overall in the 2007 draft by Montreal. What do you remember most about that day, and what do you think has changed the most since you participated in it?

Subban: Huh, what do I remember about that day? It was my second day at the draft. I had a beautiful suit that I had tailor-made in Toronto. I wasn't really thinking about going to the draft in the first place, because I didn't even have to go to the combine. I think it was only the top hundred or 150 ranked players that went to the combine. But I did have three teams that were interested in me: I believe it was Washington, Florida and Pittsburgh.

I remember them saying that they wanted to see if I was willing to go to the draft. So we drove to Columbus from Toronto. On the first day, there was a chance I was going to go to Pittsburgh at around 20th overall if the player that they wanted wasn't available. That player was Angelo Esposito, and they ended up selecting him. So any chance of being selected in the first round was pretty slim by then.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:00 pm

I guess we lost out on Subban but, as a result, kept dodint...?

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:01 pm

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:08 pm

There's I guess some connection here...on our board, b*tch translates to dodint. In Swedish, Subban translates to "the b*tch" I believe...