mikey's Thread of Penguin Randomness

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:19 pm

In regards to the third line's poor play, in particular Jared McCann

Does anyone here, during his time in Pittsburgh at least, believe he's a better center than a winger? Because I do not see it at all. I think it has been reported that Sullivan and GMJR feel long term that he's a center. But to me at least, he is invisible often when he plays center. And at wing, he seems to be much more of a difference maker.

We are stuck in a way because we really don't have a third line center if McCann can't do it, unless you think Rodrigues or Bluegar could do it, which I don't. Its too bad that Bjustad was injured because he could have filled that role. And a top line of Crosby Guentzal and McCann could be pretty dangerous. But thats moot now.
I also think he can't handle the pressure. I know the playoffs have been a sh*t sandwich for the entire team the past 2 years but he can't elevate his game. He regressed come playoff time last year.
Really they could put him back with Sid and Guentzel. That way he’s not “the guy” on a line and can play to his strengths without having to feel that immense pressure.
I wanted to expand a bit in this to. I keep thinking of Malone. He would show flashes of what we thought he could be all the time but seemed to consistently flounder when he was expected to be “the guy” on a line. Once he landed with Malkin and Sykora, had his role simplified, and had clear expectations as the #3 guy on that line he excelled.
I wonder if McCann Might be similar. He had that first round pick pressure and Florida half-way ruined him with that. He showed in the past he can play with Crosby and Guentzel. He kept his game simple, retrieved the puck, got in the right places to keep plays alive, and all around helped out the two better players on that line.
As it stands now Sheary’s success playing with Sid seems to have been more of lightening in a bottle than anything. I really think he’s a square peg in a round hole on that line.
Maybe it’s the pressure. But at the same time, he’s surrounded by Hornquist and Marleau....there shouldn’t be a ton of pressure on him.

I just think he’s just a better winger. I really have yet to see him perform like he’s had at wing compared to center

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:06 pm

Right, but I think the problem with that is if you put him at wing... Rodrigues is your third line center.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:14 pm

Yeah, it's not about McCann being there, it's about who the replacement player is...Cans can hold on for dear life and get insulated by converted center Marleau, and the responsible Hornqvist...the line will just aspire to be net neutral...our 4th line is a shut down caliber line it seems like...

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:18 pm

Yeah, it's not about McCann being there, it's about who the replacement player is...Cans can hold on for dear life and get insulated by converted center Marleau, and the responsible Hornqvist...the line will just aspire to be net neutral...our 4th line is a shut down caliber line it seems like...
I’m on vacation and drunk as a skunk. A previous argument against Tanev on Crosby’s line was burn out/wear and ter due to his style. At this point duck it, let him wreak havoc on the forecheck. The window is still barely open so let fet another cup at the expense of whatever. **** yeh penguins

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:23 pm

My man

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:33 pm

Sheary and Jake the Snake both have a ton of chemistry with Sid. I wouldn’t want to break that line up

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:33 pm

I'm not breaking up our 4th line to get rid of a guy who had two assists on our two real goals of the night...if you want to put E-Rod and his forechecking there, that's fine for me, rotate Hornqvist and Rodrigues there...but it's silly to break up one of the league's best 4th lines, maybe the best this year...

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:17 am

Source of the post but it's silly to break up one of the league's best 4th lines, maybe the best this year...
Agreed. I love our 4th line almost as much as our top line, and half of that is thanks to Tanev. Worth every penny.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:15 am

I was looking for an infographic on Crosby moving into the #8 spot in all-time playoff points and came across this. Not gonna lie, I laughed my ass off:

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:59 am

What do you guys think of a Malkin/Letang combo at the points, entire goal of the PP is to fed them for one timers. Have Sid/Horny/Jake clean up the garbage. Just simplify.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:40 am

It just becomes easy for a team to outnumber us and box out near the front of the net...we get basically depending on goals from distance on Price or deflection goals...

Jim

Postby Jim » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:39 pm

What do you guys think of a Malkin/Letang combo at the points, entire goal of the PP is to fed them for one timers. Have Sid/Horny/Jake clean up the garbage. Just simplify.
The turnover machines of Malkin and Letang should never be on the ice together.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:20 pm

TIL that Guentzel played one of the Hyenas in Lion King.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:34 pm

this opinion is bad and you should feel bad for having it

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:38 pm

I have more of a problem with 58 and 71 at the points, to be honest. I think you need somebody a little more responsible at the point if one of those two is back there.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:11 pm

I know Geno is more of a unselfish player in comparison to Ovi....but on the PP I wish he had more of Ovi’s mindset of anything in his wheelhouse, he’s firing at the net. And if it vaporizes a PKers foot, so be it, you have a pseudo 5 on 3 now. He gets in modes where he does that but too often I think he is hesitant to do that, waiting for a substantial opening

Now, the one issue with that is he has Letang feeding him a lot of those one timers which doesn’t always end well

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:54 pm

I was going to say Letang isn't exactly dishing him stuff to lay into on a consistent basis

Jim

Postby Jim » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:58 pm

this opinion is bad and you should feel bad for having it

If by "bad" you mean like Shaft bad, then you are correct.

If you mean "bad" as in not good, then you are delusional.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:43 pm

It just becomes easy for a team to outnumber us and box out near the front of the net...we get basically depending on goals from distance on Price or deflection goals...
Am I understanding correctly that what you’re saying is they would let the point blasts happen consistently. Absorb that risk of allowing a shot, so they could box out? Or they would structure the box/diamond to have one guy challenge the points and focus on positional play in front hopefully being able to stop a player from getting the garbage?

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:55 pm

They'd throw a guy out there to keep everyone honest...but there are some tough defenders on this team, it's tough to get to the net, it's a lot of wear and tear for our guys when we really should be utilizing our skill...

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:40 pm

They'd throw a guy out there to keep everyone honest...but there are some tough defenders on this team, it's tough to get to the net, it's a lot of wear and tear for our guys when we really should be utilizing our skill...
Okay, I wanted to make sure I understood. Obviously, it’s more frustration than anything as a fan. To have this much skill and not be able to convert, especially with a 5 on 3 is annoying and demoralizing as a fan. I can only imagine how frustrated the guys actually in it are.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:26 pm

As someone that has a lot of special teams success as a coach, any halfway decent coach eats those and wants to be better more than anyone. That's the most blueprinted part of the game, you have (short) meetings about for your next games, etc. The tough part can be not tinkering too much, so that your guys can get a rhythm.

That said, I haven't been overly impressed by what I have seen...I wonder if it's our organic plan, or we planned a PP to beat their PK...

Jim

Postby Jim » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:24 am

As someone that has a lot of special teams success as a coach, any halfway decent coach eats those and wants to be better more than anyone. That's the most blueprinted part of the game, you have (short) meetings about for your next games, etc. The tough part can be not tinkering too much, so that your guys can get a rhythm.

That said, I haven't been overly impressed by what I have seen...I wonder if it's our organic plan, or we planned a PP to beat their PK...
1 for 12. Tinker. Tinker a lot.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:29 am

That sounds good and all...but the percentage is just that, a rate...if the on-ice product looks better than the rate, you don't wanna do much...in this case, I think it tells the story, so I'd tinker too.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:31 am

Then could go 3-4 tonight and be at about 25%