mikey's Thread of Penguin Randomness

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri May 18, 2018 9:03 am

:thumb:

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri May 18, 2018 9:07 am

Our defensive depth is so thin, any kind of addition is good.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri May 18, 2018 9:11 am

PACK YOUR ****, LETANG.

Too soon?

Faubert5
Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - no fan of the Predators

Postby Faubert5 » Fri May 18, 2018 9:12 am

I've not read any responses to the article outside of this thread. My life is pretty good.
i have hockey itches to scratch, still. and this forum is not very active. i also cling onto the hope that there is a place where fans of several teams can come together and not drop 50 IQ points when they log in, so i still explore. this is a foolish hope.

i get that we aren't the most loveable team ever assembled, but i tell ya what...if you have to pick a team win, when your team doesn't, i really don't get why we're such a bad option. we play fast and skilled, and not dirty. and us winning means that several people and teams that you hate will not win their first - which should be everyone's #2 priority.

we are a superb compromise. and unlike how i will always root for lebron, and always did root for tiger, why is it so hard for people to sit back and appreciate a generational talent?

To your last point, blame Ken Hitchcock for starting the "Crosby is a whiner" crap. It snowballed from there.
Yes, correct. Hitchcock was all salty because Sid, at 18, dared to take umbrage at Derian Hatcher knocking out his teeth (no call). Sid scored to win in OT.
Agreed, Hitchcock is also generally horrible for the game. His teams play dirty and they clutch, grab, and hook at every opportunity often leading to almost unwatchable hockey.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri May 18, 2018 9:12 am

Yeah, Riikola is LHS...

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri May 18, 2018 9:35 am

Very underrated player, he could become NHL regullar, but alot of depends how much team wants to give looks for him. Some times as undrafted player, you gotta even have some luck in the start, because teams dont have patients.

Very strong player, physically good battle guy. Probably physically NHL readiest player that played FEL last year maybe with Savinainen but I think even readier than Savinainen.

Hard hits, strong in battle / body positition. Has good patients to make a good play, good skating. But not star caliber, I think could be high quality 3rd pairing D or even High Q 2pair.

He plays in my hometeam last 4 seasons, so Ive seen him quite alot. Last two seasons, I missed maybe 10 games and saw like 100. I think he can still take couple of more steps.

To his size, he has decent size for FEL. I think 5´11 is as stetch, downwards stretching. More like 6´0, he is over 180cm.

OT, but: What a great news for KalPa as a team, this season was 0,5M profit even before this, now its like 0,7 - 0,8M after we get the money from Riikola deal. Also last years we have got 3 other players NHL deal money, and KalPa U20 team just won FEL gold, so more young talent is still on pipeline to jump in FEL. Also Neigbhbor town team raised to Mestis lately, so young kids can be placed there too to develop. I smell FEL championship in future.

This is all from a poster called QnebO from HFboards.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri May 18, 2018 9:41 am

I smell NHL championship in future.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri May 18, 2018 11:38 am

why is Geno holding up 4 fingers on the right?

Jim

Postby Jim » Fri May 18, 2018 11:41 am

Double digit IQ?

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri May 18, 2018 11:42 am

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri May 18, 2018 11:44 am

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri May 18, 2018 1:33 pm

Re: Riikola

Game has evolved into a more offensive player that is willing to jump into the rush with more confidence since he was a junior. His skating speed doesn't really stand out to me, but his agility and lateral mobility do as a plus. He has a pretty big shot that he can get through lanes. He moves the puck well. He is a capable and willing open-ice hitter and he packs more power than his vitals would indicate, he's pretty hockey strong when he wants to be. I do question a little bit about his compete level in front of his own net...I'd like to see some more box-outability there, a little more attentiveness. He did everything for KalPa this past season, he was 22, 23 minute a night defender, both special teams units. He traditionally plays LD, but he can play on his off-side in a pinch and that makes sense because of his shot. He has a slapper and wrister. Seemed like he got confident to use his shot more this season. In Finland, he's a first-minute, last-minute guy...he sometimes will chase the play around a bit, or get pushed out too high and he doesn't do a good enough job sensing danger in this regard...I see him kind of struggle to figure out which fire is at his feet..

He has NHL talent. I could see him being a third pairing defenseman in the NHL...if he has upside beyond that, maybe it will be brought out by the smaller rink and our coaching staff...he's on a one-year contract...he's better than Bengtsson for sure...gosh, I don't know if it's unreasonable to say he's our best D prospect at the moment pending Lauzon's neck meat...

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri May 18, 2018 1:42 pm

Thanks! :thumb:

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Fri May 18, 2018 2:05 pm

Did I just read a SR on Rude Beatle?

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri May 18, 2018 2:26 pm

I don't know about that, friendo. I think Ruhwedel is much more conservative player, doesn't have a shot that can score at the NHL level from any distance, doesn't jump into the play like Riikola does. And I actually think Ruhwedel is more attentive near his cage than Riikola. I'm struggling to come up with a good comparison right now though...I'll think about it...

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri May 18, 2018 2:32 pm

you think we see him in the show for more than a few games next season?

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri May 18, 2018 2:33 pm

Yes.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri May 18, 2018 2:52 pm

RIIIIIIIKOLLLAAAAAAAA

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri May 18, 2018 2:56 pm

Might want to wait for him to provide the proper pronunciation to Mearsy before you get attached to the name.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri May 18, 2018 3:22 pm

A Rikola + Rue bottom pair...does this inspire panic or meh?

...with the understanding that we don't know who this Finn is yet. Just a fun curiosity.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri May 18, 2018 3:30 pm

I'd expect that bottom pair to be fine.

There's an option where he plays in the minors, I imagine...entry-level deals are two-way by default, he won't need waivers to go down...it's going to be pretty thin down there...and, the elephant in the room, we still have Hunwick at a couple of bills a year...a player who did not make an appearance in a two-round playoffs...

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri May 18, 2018 3:32 pm

Shoot him to the moon.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Fri May 18, 2018 8:48 pm

I'd expect that bottom pair to be fine.

There's an option where he plays in the minors, I imagine...entry-level deals are two-way by default, he won't need waivers to go down...it's going to be pretty thin down there...and, the elephant in the room, we still have Hunwick at a couple of bills a year...a player who did not make an appearance in a two-round playoffs...
He’s 24, so I don’t know that the standard auto 2-way deal exists here. Is it still considered an ELC? I have no clue

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri May 18, 2018 9:42 pm

Yes. One year elc

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat May 19, 2018 9:11 pm

...with the understanding that we don't know who this Finn is yet. Just a fun curiosity.
Indeed, there is something fun about signing these largely unknown quantities.