mikey's Thread of Penguin Randomness

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:44 pm

They are going to play McCann at center to start the year.
:(

Jim

Postby Jim » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:54 pm

Also. Dupuis a plus shooter? Explain yourself immediately

It has been a while so I do not recall the specifics... but there was like a 2 year span where Dupuis led the league in ev goals, or something like that.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:38 pm

It has been a while so I do not recall the specifics... but there was like a 2 year span where Dupuis led the league in ev goals, or something like that.
Maybe I am arguing semantics here, but I see a difference between having a plus shot and being a plus shooter.

Dupuis most definitely had a plus shot. And I think you are right about the ES thing.

Dupuis was certainly not a plus shooter though.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:49 pm

From 09-10 to 12-13, Dupuis was 23rd in the NHL in EVG.

1. Stamkos 121
2. Ovechkin 103
3. Ryan 87
4. Nash 86
5. Burrows 85
18. Neal 75
19. Crosby 75
20. Ladd 74
21. D.Sedin 73
22. Moulson 73
23. Dupuis 70
24. Sharp 69
25. E.Kane 67
26. Malkin 66

##

From 2011-12 to 12-13. Dupuis was 9th in EVG.

1. Stamkos 67
2. Malkin 43
3. Tavares 43
4. Gaborik 42
5. Toews 42
6. Kessel 41
7. Ovechkin 41
8. Pacioretty 40
9. Dupuis 39
t-9. Ladd 39
t-9. Nash 39
t-9. E.Kane 39

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:59 pm

Maybe I am arguing semantics here, but I see a difference between having a plus shot and being a plus shooter.

Dupuis most definitely had a plus shot. And I think you are right about the ES thing.

There's an in-game practicality, so to speak, that Dupuis didn't really possess...Dupuis couldn't just sit the slot or in a soft area and just catch and release an accurate bullet shot in the same motion. I think that's kind of where you're going with this...in which case, that's very fair. The distinction is noteworthy...

meow

Postby meow » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:11 pm

I think the stat I am thinking about was something about having the most ES goals between power play goals. Or something along that vein

meow

Postby meow » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:14 pm

There's an in-game practicality, so to speak, that Dupuis didn't really possess...Dupuis couldn't just sit the slot or in a soft area and just catch and release an accurate bullet shot in the same motion. I think that's kind of where you're going with this...in which case, that's very fair. The distinction is noteworthy...
Exactly. Dupuis was a lot of things, but a shooter was not one of them. Even though he bombed it bar down as often as the next guy.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:48 am

They are going to play McCann at center to start the year.
:(

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:57 am

Not everyone is on board with that internally...so we'll see how it plays out...

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:10 am

Not everyone is on board with that internally...so we'll see how it plays out...
Not questioning that thought process....but who isn’t? It was reported Sully and GMJR both prefer him at center. Again, that’s a grain of salt situation. But still, it was said and it likely makes sense considering the lineup we have right now. There’s a glut of talent at left wing and that’s not even including Poulin

I don’t hate the idea of starting the season with McCann at 3C...even though I personally think he’s sort of poop there. If he rolls with it...good. If he doesn’t, we have a first rounder in 2021 that I’m sure GMJR will part with for a 3C :slug:

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:25 am

I really don't know who it is...but there is some internal recognition, whether its the pro scouts or the analytics guys or whoever, that think he belongs on Sid's wing...or just the wing in general...

The thing is, of course, you have to do better at 3C than McCann via free agency or trade...

I wonder if Craig Smith could handle returning to center...hard working, forechecking type with at least a decent skill set...

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:30 am

I really don't know who it is...but there is some internal recognition, whether its the pro scouts or the analytics guys or whoever, that think he belongs on Sid's wing...or just the wing in general...

The thing is, of course, you have to do better at 3C than McCann via free agency or trade...

I wonder if Craig Smith could handle returning to center...hard working, forechecking type with at least a decent skill set...
I don’t mind him. But I would really like to see a third line that could pot some goals once in awhile. Our “4th” like provides enough grit. A center with some skill plus McCann plus Hornquist could do some damage. I don’t think we can rely on Sid and Geno bail is out as much as they age

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:35 am

Simon-Smith-Kapanen/Hornqvist?

MR25

Postby MR25 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:50 am

I think this was from a Rossi article, so grain of salt, but apparently we're kicking tires on Chris Tanev.

Time is apparently a flat circle, since GMJR did this same stuff with the Staal Brothers.

I'm really hoping, if the report is true, that he's not just doing this as a service to Brandon to play with his brother, because the move doesn't really make sense based on the type of player Chris is (defense-first).

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:03 am

The Athletic also had an article from the wunderduo Rossi and Yohe that Rust is our best trade chip. Would be monumentally stupid to trade him, imo.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:26 am

I'm not saying I'd do it in any way, categorically...but I'd really, really be interested in what it looks like to cash out high on Bryan Rust...I really think he had a terrific year, I thought it wasn't luck or whatever, I think he has really worked to improve his ability to finish and work with skill players...

But I'm just curious as to what we could get back...if I can get a young RHS center and a big time prospect or a real decent first this year...I just want to know...could I improve the defense and add a top-four LD...? I'd be torn by curiosity...not saying I'd do it, it'd have to really blow my socks off...but we're talking about a 28 year old winger who just went from being on a career ~40 point track to being on an 84 point track...2 years of the most friendly deal as you're gonna find...I wonder what you could do...

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:37 am

Having Kap and Hornqvist as the top two RW options blows. Unless they think Poulin can step in next season, you're robbing Peter to pay Paul.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:08 am

The Athletic also had an article from the wunderduo Rossi and Yohe that Rust is our best trade chip. Would be monumentally stupid to trade him, imo.
If they think they can win this year or next, its a bad move. If not, its intriguing for parts that can be a factor in 3 years when he's gone.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:10 am

I think this was from a Rossi article, so grain of salt, but apparently we're kicking tires on Chris Tanev.

Time is apparently a flat circle, since GMJR did this same stuff with the Staal Brothers.

I'm really hoping, if the report is true, that he's not just doing this as a service to Brandon to play with his brother, because the move doesn't really make sense based on the type of player Chris is (defense-first).
He would instantly be the 2nd best defender on the team. You cant have enough guys that can stop goals. North of 4M though is a bit much.

It might happen, but it might also just be lazy reporting. Potentially uniting brothers is everyones favorite story.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:31 am

Right but I don't think this team's issue, necessarily, is having people who can defend
The need is for defenders who can contribute to the play in the O-zone, and I dont think C. Tanev brings anything more to that area than anyone else on the team.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:02 pm

I'm not saying I'd do it in any way, categorically...but I'd really, really be interested in what it looks like to cash out high on Bryan Rust...I really think he had a terrific year, I thought it wasn't luck or whatever, I think he has really worked to improve his ability to finish and work with skill players...

But I'm just curious as to what we could get back...if I can get a young RHS center and a big time prospect or a real decent first this year...I just want to know...could I improve the defense and add a top-four LD...? I'd be torn by curiosity...not saying I'd do it, it'd have to really blow my socks off...but we're talking about a 28 year old winger who just went from being on a career ~40 point track to being on an 84 point track...2 years of the most friendly deal as you're gonna find...I wonder what you could do...
I would do it for a high end prospect and a RHS center (if it’s someone making less money than rust)

We can sign a winger like Jesper Fast to fill the right side.

I really like Rust...but you always need to look at every deal you get. I wouldn’t shop him buttttt if it’s big time capital coming back to us, you gotta do it

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:03 pm

Right but I don't think this team's issue, necessarily, is having people who can defend
The need is for defenders who can contribute to the play in the O-zone, and I dont think C. Tanev brings anything more to that area than anyone else on the team.
Agreed. We need another Marino. We don’t need another Pettersson

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:05 pm

Enter Joseph.

Lelldorin

Postby Lelldorin » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:33 pm

It is me ;)

meow

Postby meow » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:49 pm

One Chris Tanev, please.