mikey's Thread of Penguin Randomness

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:49 am

Source of the post Guys on HFboards seem to think he could be sent down, fwiw.
So he can't be sent down confirmed.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:01 pm

Riikola can go down without waivers...

Crammer is one tough hombre...he hits hard...

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:44 pm

Before I moved to California in 1997, the nearest hockey rink to my house was a 45 minute drive away, either to State College or Johnstown.

Tonight, Sam Lafferty will be in the lineup v Detroit. He's from my hometown (Hollidaysburg), and it marks the first time someone from Blair County will skate in an NHL game.

FLPensFan

Postby FLPensFan » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:14 pm

Riikola looked good.
Can he be sent to WB w/o waivers?

How did Sprong look last night?
Riikola is on an entry level contract but since he's 24 I'm not totally sure. Guys on HFboards seem to think he could be sent down, fwiw. I think he could play but time in WBS getting used to the smaller rink and playing more minutes than he would in the NHL would be nice.

Sprong looked good at times, played with Grant and Jake. He looked to be more engaged away from the puck. One time he was backchecking and took a pass at a puck in the corner. Seemed like he could have scooped it up and skated it out of the zone, but decided to skate to the bench instead. Also took a hit then followed it up by taking a dumb, lazy penalty.

Also glad to have you back. Scary story in the other thread. Hope all is well.
According to CapFriendly, Riikola is waiver exempt this year. He does not have a games played limit (most players are waivers exempt unless they play X amount of NHL games OR in X amount of seasons). So Riikola is exempt this entire year.

It is still early and I need to see more of Riikola, but, my hot take so far is Riikola may allow the Penguins to move Justin Schultz at the deadline or over the summer, if they feel they need cap space for a bigger move. Here's my thinking on this:

I think Riikola, so far, has the potential to be a #4 defenseman. I think that is a stretch for him, but I think he'd be a perfectly fine, cheap, 3rd pairing option. Schultz is making 5.5M this year and next year. If he can get his offense back to somewhere between last year and the last Cup year, somewhere in the middle, trading Schultz at the deadline with still a year remaining could bring back some needed pieces. I don't think the Penguins can afford to resign Schultz again after his current deal expires. The biggest downside to moving Schultz at some point, and inserting Riikola is that would leave Letang as the only top 6 d-man in the lineup who is RH. Ruhwedel as the 7th would be the other righty.

Dumo-Letang
Maatta-Johnson
Riikola-Oleksiak
xRuhwedel

I don't think Riikola would be 1 to 1 replacement for Schultz, but, it sure would help the Penguins to have some cheaper but solid defensemen, like most teams do. Everyone making 3-4M plus isn't the best use of their cap. If Addison comes along as expected in 2-3 years, he could push Johnson back down to a 3rd pairing guy as he gets older.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:43 pm

The biggest downside to moving Schultz at some point, and inserting Riikola is that would leave Letang as the only top 6 d-man in the lineup who is RH.
@mikey just had an aneurysm.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:54 pm

Yeah, that seems untenable...in all facets...

I better watch more of last night's game (I was tied up in 2019 draft stuff, so could only catch splotches of it)...if he's able to replace a 40-point, top-4 NHL d-man in any regard, that would be sensational...that notion is crazy to me with my limited knowledge of Riikola...maybe that notion changes with more exposure to him...

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:30 pm

Is Sprong ready to replace Phil yet?

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:35 pm

We traded Phil to Finland for Riikola...

FLPensFan

Postby FLPensFan » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:52 pm

Yeah, that seems untenable...in all facets...

I better watch more of last night's game (I was tied up in 2019 draft stuff, so could only catch splotches of it)...if he's able to replace a 40-point, top-4 NHL d-man in any regard, that would be sensational...that notion is crazy to me with my limited knowledge of Riikola...maybe that notion changes with more exposure to him...
Yeah, as I said in my post, it wouldn't be a 1 to 1 swap, Riikola for Schultz. I don't think Riikola has THAT much upside. I think he can be a #5 guy, and maybe a poor #4 at best. But, if the Penguins are intent on making Jack Johnson a top 4 d-man on this team, I think something is going to have to give. Guentzel needs a raise, Matt Murray has a raise in 2 years, and if there are any thoughts of retaining Hagelin or Brassard, or both, salary has to go from somewhere.

Every member of the Penguins starting 6 defense makes over 2M, and Schultz has the shortest term remaining. Nobody wants to see Kessel or Letang go, but, Guentzel, Murray, and possibly even Sprong are going to need raises. Having a solid, but cheap defenseman in the top 6 would help offset some of that cost, and, aside from Riikola or Addison, I don't think there is anyone in the Penguins system right now who could do the job. To me, moving Schultz makes sense from that perspective.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:25 pm

Nobody wants to see Letang go
You must be new here :lol: @dodint

I get what you're saying...suggesting that Riikola has even "poor" #4 upside suggests a ton of upside. It's not easy to be a #4 in this league. Like I said, I spoke out of turn because I'm not too familiar with him. That said, if Letang continues down the path he is on...we're in tough shape and we can't afford to lose another puck mover if Letang is mush...if he continues to be mush, we waited too long to move him...if he rebounds, then we'll re-evaluate...either way, we're in a tough spot in terms of RHS d-men...

Moreover, our transition game would then be JMFJ's forays to nowhere, whatever we can scrape together of future Letang and...well, nothing else...Dumo and Maatta offer nothing above replacement level at that currently, Maatta has some upside to deliver outlets, but that's also when he's playing with someone who is a better mover than him...him leading a pairing is rough...he's a 2 or a 4...he's not a 1 or a 3...there's a noteworthy difference there...

Also, the only good shot - pending JMFJ - from the our blueline is also owned by Schultz. So, we'd need to find a way to replace that. On the PP, it's pretty easy with Malkin and all...but at ES, Malkin won't be rotating to there under any normal circumstance...

Contractually, sure, you can make a case...and it's a sensible one...but we'd need to really re-tool things on the back-end to facilitate this kind of thing...

The safest assumption, for now, is that Riikola doesn't play 100 games in the NHL...though I want to see what he can do. I am a fan of Addison, and as soon as I get my top-31 for 2019 out, I can provide some feedback on our prospects here...hopefully next week...

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:30 pm

Tanger will have a superb season.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:36 pm

Honestly if Riikola proves he can be an NHLer I think he makes Maatta available. Being that they play a similar role and that Maatta would likely have the most value and would be the easiest to move of the defensemen.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:42 pm

Moving Maatta is so dumb.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:46 pm

Which in turn means LBL is dumb.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:59 pm

k

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:01 pm

Gaucho has to be the optimistic one. I’m just assuming he’s going to be garbage on the ice throughout the entire season.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:04 pm

I didn't say Maatta should or would be moved, but Riikola would more likely make him available rather than Schultz.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:05 pm

Superb.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:20 pm

I’ll bet a decent amount of money that Riikola‘s NHL experience at the end of the season is the same as mine

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:36 pm

Tempting.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:44 pm

Beau Bennett's also on the verge of breaking out.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:52 pm

I’ll bet a decent amount of money that Riikola‘s NHL experience at the end of the season is the same as mine
He's at worst two injuries away from getting game time.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:53 pm

Beau Bennett's also on the verge of breaking out.
He's going to tear the K up.

Jim

Postby Jim » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:54 pm

Moving Maatta is so dumb.

QFT

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:55 pm

Beau's contract with Minsk has been terminated after five games.