mikey's Thread of Penguin Randomness

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu May 24, 2018 9:22 pm

So are we going to have to talk about Kessel all summer?

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu May 24, 2018 9:22 pm

yes

meow

Postby meow » Thu May 24, 2018 9:24 pm

Great. See ya in October

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu May 24, 2018 9:38 pm

Orrrrrrrrr...you can look at it like this...

Kessel is 31 before he scores another goal...statistically speaking, he's going down...down, down, down, red knight going down...how dramatic that drop is, exactly when it is...well...that's a matter for the ol' crystal ball...

What is unlikely is that his value is going to get any higher as an asset right now...do you think about cashing out...?

You gotta know what you have and you have to decide what level of loyalty you want to show...

Sometimes it sucks and you cash out on a player and it makes you look like an idiot...Jonathan Audy-Marchessault in Vegas is a good one right now that people like to pick on...RFA 26 year old, coming off of 30 tucks after scoring about 0 the rest of his transient pro career...Florida goes "eh, I don't think he's gonna do that again...we got him off of death row...I don't want him livin' us" so they give him to a loving family clear on the other side of the country...boom, 6,000 point season and Vegas looks like the bee's knees, ankles and feet...

Flip the script...

Marian Gaborik (boy, if there's a comparable to Kessel...) 41 goals in 76 games with the Rangers in 2010. 86 points. He's a second-team all-star (!)...even got some token low-level Hart votes...not far into his 30-year-old season, he gets sent to Columbus for our old friend Derick Brassard, Derek Dorsett and John Moore...he scores 9 goals for the Blue Jackets ever...after scoring 105 goals in the three full seasons he played in NY, he'll score 83 goals the rest of his career (which spanned/is spanning 6 seasons and three different teams since NY).

NY cashed out...they cashed out into Derick Brassard as a 25 year old. He helps them majorly on two deep playoff runs including Final appearance...he gets to 29 and they cash out again...they cash out into Mika Zibanejad and a 2nd...Z-bad is a 23 year old when they got him and last year he led the team in goals and was 2nd in points despite missing 10 games...

So they keep managing the assets...for better or for worse...they're going into a rebuild or at least a re-tool...they sold off a lot of inventory at the deadline and they really well...they didn't net a lot of elite talent, but you really have to draft elite talent, it's hard to acquire it...of course, that last statement is a feather in the keep-Kessel-kap yeeeeeee....cap but the concept of managing your assets shouldn't necessarily be out right dismissed. This guy isn't exactly Sidbot...Kessel of all players is not going to be immune to aging...

I'd just listen and see...but again, I'd really need to be enticed...

Jim

Postby Jim » Thu May 24, 2018 10:04 pm

I never trust Madden on this stuff. He’ll do anything to keep stirring the pot.

If it does happen, this reflects poorly on Sullivan. Trade your second leading scorer at a bargain price after the best season of his career because you’re a rigid assclown. Get out of here with that Tortorella ****. How many games did the Pens lose this year because the Hunwick over Cole bullshit?

Both points QFT

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu May 24, 2018 10:23 pm

Kessel and shoulda kept MAF over Murray.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu May 24, 2018 11:45 pm

At least it’s not should’ve drafted Toews or trade Geno talk

meow

Postby meow » Fri May 25, 2018 6:13 am

I’m having a hard time determining which is more stupid.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri May 25, 2018 6:25 am

Murray thing is stupider...

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri May 25, 2018 8:12 am

No, of course not. He'll be traded at some point, duh.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri May 25, 2018 8:34 am

I've already grown very tired of both.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri May 25, 2018 8:39 am

Because Kessel quit on the team and we'd be in the Finals if we kept Fleury over Murray?

Jim

Postby Jim » Fri May 25, 2018 8:49 am

Because Kessel quit on the team and we'd be in the Finals if we kept Fleury over Murray?

Or resigned Cullen

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri May 25, 2018 8:54 am

Or re-signed Cullen Dad
ftfy

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri May 25, 2018 9:04 am

Orrrrrrrrr...you can look at it like this...

Kessel is 31 before he scores another goal...statistically speaking, he's going down...down, down, down, red knight going down...how dramatic that drop is, exactly when it is...well...that's a matter for the ol' crystal ball...

What is unlikely is that his value is going to get any higher as an asset right now...do you think about cashing out...?

You gotta know what you have and you have to decide what level of loyalty you want to show...

Sometimes it sucks and you cash out on a player and it makes you look like an idiot...Jonathan Audy-Marchessault in Vegas is a good one right now that people like to pick on...RFA 26 year old, coming off of 30 tucks after scoring about 0 the rest of his transient pro career...Florida goes "eh, I don't think he's gonna do that again...we got him off of death row...I don't want him livin' us" so they give him to a loving family clear on the other side of the country...boom, 6,000 point season and Vegas looks like the bee's knees, ankles and feet...

Flip the script...

Marian Gaborik (boy, if there's a comparable to Kessel...) 41 goals in 76 games with the Rangers in 2010. 86 points. He's a second-team all-star (!)...even got some token low-level Hart votes...not far into his 30-year-old season, he gets sent to Columbus for our old friend Derick Brassard, Derek Dorsett and John Moore...he scores 9 goals for the Blue Jackets ever...after scoring 105 goals in the three full seasons he played in NY, he'll score 83 goals the rest of his career (which spanned/is spanning 6 seasons and three different teams since NY).

NY cashed out...they cashed out into Derick Brassard as a 25 year old. He helps them majorly on two deep playoff runs including Final appearance...he gets to 29 and they cash out again...they cash out into Mika Zibanejad and a 2nd...Z-bad is a 23 year old when they got him and last year he led the team in goals and was 2nd in points despite missing 10 games...

So they keep managing the assets...for better or for worse...they're going into a rebuild or at least a re-tool...they sold off a lot of inventory at the deadline and they really well...they didn't net a lot of elite talent, but you really have to draft elite talent, it's hard to acquire it...of course, that last statement is a feather in the keep-Kessel-kap yeeeeeee....cap but the concept of managing your assets shouldn't necessarily be out right dismissed. This guy isn't exactly Sidbot...Kessel of all players is not going to be immune to aging...

I'd just listen and see...but again, I'd really need to be enticed...
I'm with you on this, I remember Cook's column from last year following the championship seeming completely ludicrous, but at the same time, I imagined that if the Penguins were floundering last January and February, and had Kessel been plodding along, he would have been trade bait. What actually happened was that Kessel was their best player for a large portion of last season, but he hit a massive wall at some point, I didn't really pay attention until the playoffs, but he was invisible then, and i'm not sure if that slump started in the regular season.

That said, who are some young players out there that could benefit from a move to Pittsburgh, that are on teams that would be interested in Kessel like star power?

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri May 25, 2018 9:08 am

Trade him to Arizona so he can be with Tocchet. Get Domi and Chychrun in return. mikey loves Chychrun.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri May 25, 2018 9:30 am

Well, I'm going to need the help of the panel of people here who follow the other NHL teams closely...

But I'll put in this clickbait piece for the group to chew on...say we do move Kris Letang and we have a hole at RD...

How about a Kessel for Subban foundation...?

The same whispers about Kessel are happening about Subban in the Nashville market...but how about that to start your morning, eh...?

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri May 25, 2018 9:33 am

You read too much HF.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri May 25, 2018 9:34 am

I could see our media hating Subban. By and large he's a great guy, but he's a dirtbag on the ice.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri May 25, 2018 9:35 am

Well, I'm going to need the help of the panel of people here who follow the other NHL teams closely...

But I'll put in this clickbait piece for the group to chew on...say we do move Kris Letang and we have a hole at RD...

How about a Kessel for Subban foundation...?

The same whispers about Kessel are happening about Subban in the Nashville market...but how about that to start your morning, eh...?
I wouldn't hesitate.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri May 25, 2018 9:45 am

Another consideration is that he probably only has (and don't quote me on this) about $22, $22.5 million of real cash left over four years...which isn't as high as his cap hit...so that puts teams like Arizona, like Carolina, etc. into play...

Carolina has a lot of defense going on right now...not a lot of elite offensive talent...maybe there's a match there...Jim would know...

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri May 25, 2018 9:47 am

pls go

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri May 25, 2018 10:01 am

I'd take Subban in a heartbeat, but Letang has to go no-questions-asked, but really we're just trading one problem for another lol.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri May 25, 2018 10:14 am

So trade away Phil that is loved by the team but possibly not by Sullivan, and return PK who has been pushed out of one room in Montreal, and possibly another in Nashville for his shenanigans. Makes sense.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri May 25, 2018 10:22 am

if Sully doesn't like Kessel he's going to hate PK