mikey's Thread of Penguin Randomness

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:14 pm

#essential

shmenguin

probably
That post does say it all. The apples and the apples are somehow co-mingling without any need for context.

Whatever has happened and will continue to happen on the most toxic team in the league is going to be its own story.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:33 pm

I don’t understand that post, so I’m going to assume you agree that Sprong stinks.

Jim

Postby Jim » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:56 am

... but he was mishandled...

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:15 am

Petterrson for Sprong has been the best thing to happen to the Pens this season.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:25 am

Until JMFJ broke him.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:26 am

I'd say getting Jake signed, and Murray seemingly back into form are both better.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:28 am

Letang in the Norris conversation, particularly with Schultz missing most of the season, after the season 58 had last year...his rebound is a big chunk of the reason we have a pot to piss in right now...

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:30 am

Petterrson for Sprong has been the best thing to happen to the Pens this season.
The case for Sprong isn’t relative to what happens on Anaheim. Nor is it how he fit into Sullivan’s white knuckled grip. Or how Petterson is performing in a position that enables him for success vs how Sprong did playing with injured Cullen and butt stain Grant.

They mangled that kid. Could have been different. Didn’t pan out that way. The “what if” is the issue here for me. Hard to track that after the fact.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:31 am

I don’t understand that post, so I’m going to assume you agree that Sprong stinks.
not sure if that's meant for my post, but it's nothing more than saying he (Sprong) has really cooled off over the last month. The comparison to Petterson was a bit of a joke, but when a defensive defenseman who was previous 0 for the season has outscored you for the month, it's not a good look.

And yes,

he stinks

Jim

Postby Jim » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:47 am

The case for Sprong isn’t relative to what happens on Anaheim. Nor is it how he fit into Sullivan’s white knuckled grip. Or how Petterson is performing in a position that enables him for success vs how Sprong did playing with injured Cullen and butt stain Grant.

They mangled that kid. Could have been different. Didn’t pan out that way. The “what if” is the issue here for me. Hard to track that after the fact.

Yep, it could have been different... if Sprong wasn't a mental case, actually had the skill that people think he has, and has the hockey sense to actually use it. But he is, he doesn't and he doesn't... so it isn't different.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:12 am

Let’s talk about basic managerial guidelines. If you have a new hire that you fast track into some development plan because of their combination of talent and acumen, and then send them back to the mailroom even though you weren’t really dissatisfied with their progress, and then they do a fine job in the mailroom, followed by a promotion that’s underneath that initial level, and then you effectively fire them because of performance...what’s the takeaway here?

It’s some combination of an organizational shift and the employee not being what you originally hoped, sure.

But that is an overall staffing atrocity. If I yanked around my people like that I would blame myself and myself only. Because regardless of what this person did or didn’t do, you put them through a backwards, sloppy process. Which maaaaaybe impacted their efficacy.

Hockey isn’t so special. You still have to groom junior staff. And you gotta look inward when you botch it, and understand that they are maluable and their careers can veer a hundred ways.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:51 am

Our odds to win the cup right now are 22:1

I think that's extremely low. Especially when Tampa is 3:1

Regardless of our struggles, were a team with a pedigree. As long as we make the playoffs we always have a chance to win it all

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:59 am

It is extremely low, but I take it. Have taken it.

Jim

Postby Jim » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:04 pm

Let’s talk about basic managerial guidelines. If you have a new hire that you fast track into some development plan because of their combination of talent and acumen, and then send them back to the mailroom even though you weren’t really dissatisfied with their progress, and then they do a fine job in the mailroom, followed by a promotion that’s underneath that initial level, and then you effectively fire them because of performance...what’s the takeaway here?

It’s some combination of an organizational shift and the employee not being what you originally hoped, sure.

But that is an overall staffing atrocity. If I yanked around my people like that I would blame myself and myself only. Because regardless of what this person did or didn’t do, you put them through a backwards, sloppy process. Which maaaaaybe impacted their efficacy.

Hockey isn’t so special. You still have to groom junior staff. And you gotta look inward when you botch it, and understand that they are maluable and their careers can veer a hundred ways.

But the thing is that you found out that their "combination of talent and acumen" was nothing more than hype, and that they had the people skills of a wet rag, didn't listen to anything that superiors told them and never made a new pot of coffee when they finished the last pot.

Sprong failed Sprong... the Pens didn't fail Sprong.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:11 pm

The talent was there. And, to a decent extent, still is...

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:15 pm

A good shot and what else?

Jim

Postby Jim » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:31 pm

The talent was there. And, to a decent extent, still is...

Someone needs to tell Sprong that.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:46 pm

Big shot, very fast, developed some better puck distribution skills his last year in the minors, can gain a line even with the puck exposed to the interior...it's an intriguing tool set...one that made the NHL at 18...part of his demise, ultimately...

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 pm

Very fast? Not sure I agree with that.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:50 pm

But I think we all agree that not sending him back to juniors at 18 proved a mistake.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:51 pm

Then again if we didn't, he'd be in the AHL and Pettersson would still be in Anaheim.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:56 pm

Maybe.

Jim

Postby Jim » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:56 pm

Big shot, very fast, developed some better puck distribution skills his last year in the minors, can gain a line even with the puck exposed to the interior...it's an intriguing tool set...one that made the NHL at 18...part of his demise, ultimately...

I think that it is more that people keep thinking about the guy at 18, rather than the guy today.

Alexander Daigle called...

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:25 pm

Devils are using the pigeon logo to promote their 90s night tonight.

I hope Jagr comes out on one groin and wins the game.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:43 pm

I think that it is more that people keep thinking about the guy at 18, rather than the guy today.

Alexander Daigle called...
Daigle belonged in the league. And he belonged at 18. His best season was his 18 year old season. Daigle's problem was that he didn't want to play hockey, it's not that he wasn't talented...