mikey's Thread of Penguin Randomness

Jim

Postby Jim » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:09 pm

I got both of my shots, does that mean that I can drink without eating?

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:26 pm

Some time in the last couple weeks, seeing someone’s shnoz stick out of the top of their mask went from making me rage to a big nothing burger.

I feel bad for the staff, but if you’re 3 months from vaccination paradise and decide to go to a hockey game before you get your dose, it’s plant/grow. And since hospitals aren’t at capacity and doctors are getting shots already, it’s becoming more and more a victimless crime to be a mask idiot.

So I don’t know...I liked seeing fans and if they all want to roll the dice on their health, go for it at this point.

...though I will accept corrections from hospital administrator meow if I’m reading the vibe wrong from the medical professional POV

I may be wrong, but wouldn't/couldn't people not wearing their masks correctly affect the players given that there's not really anything circulating the air out of the arena?

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:58 pm

Crosby activated off the COVID list

relantel

Postby relantel » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:58 pm

Crosby activated off the COVID list
Lookout, Philadelphia!

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:59 pm

Sweet.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:00 pm

it does not matter and we'll find out the answer to that in a couple of days
Nailed it

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:02 pm

Sweet.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:06 pm

That was fast.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:41 pm

That was fast.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:00 pm

I know we didn’t care either way because pssssh why would we but I’m glad he’s back.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:42 am

POJ to WBS

crusherstasiak

Postby crusherstasiak » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:11 pm

POJ to WBS
boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
meanwhile cantmoveanyonefromthefrontofthecreeasecanthitthesideofabarnesson stays in the lineup

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:38 pm

Who dat?

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:45 pm

I have no idea...but I'm glad POJ is going down to WBS...

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:49 pm

Swapping roster stuff out of the GDT if I can...

I'd do Marcus Pettersson for Nikita Gusev right now I think...not because Pettersson didn't **** up last night (I'm not that rash)...but I just think it clears some term, Pettersson is a little bit redundant with Ceci and Dumoulin here...NJ could use a little more solidifying on their back end...Gusev was a healthy scratch the other night, it might be a spark plug type scenario for us from a skill perspective...and if not, it gets us out of term...

We also see that we probably have a third pairing LD - although, of a different type - on the way in POJ that we can probably say is going to play in the NHL in some capacity...

relantel

Postby relantel » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:25 pm

Lesson 1. Avoid defensive zone faceoffs.
Lesson 2. Win them when unavoidable.

Failure: Pray.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:38 pm

People around the league think Petterson is better than what he is. When you’re on the winning end of that kind of arrangement, you make a trade.

It’s like Kessel. That back half of his last season, if you didn’t see a guy in a free fall with no parachute you weren’t paying attention. We knew what was coming. But he had like 50 points in 50 games or something, which would have gotten a better return than after we let him poop on our playoff run again.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:15 pm

The thing about trading from a position of perceived strength - and your citation of Kessel is well taken - is you have to maximize the god dang asset...trading a falling knife in Kessel for a, uhh, whatever that spiked ball is on the end of a mace or whatever...is not a good idea...we traded in our jalopy for a lemon, that's not how you take advantage of trade-in offers...

Now, you could also state that Nikita Gusev doesn't check that box off either, and I'd buy that...I don't get the sense that Pettersson has a lot of trade value around the league...I think Gusev is about right, if there was a younger version of Gusev out there, like Kahun (who is a little less on the technical skill for me), I think that's about right...I think it's a little less than Maatta's trade value when we moved him, not adjusting for covid money troubles...

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:34 pm

Problem with Gusev is he’s a FA next year. I guess that could be good or bad thinking out loud

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:39 pm

Give me that cap space

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:12 pm

Yeah, that's actually the nature of the deal...I look at that as a feature. He was a healthy scratch in NJ the other night. He had like 1 point in his first 12 games (and then was scratched when he got hot, so who knows...). I've seen him, he can play. But we get a try out...and if not, Pettersson is a fairly redundant player for us all things considered...and even if he's not "redundant" in the truest sense of the word, the left side has gotten really crowded, so he's getting squeezed regardless...

My thought is - we'll have some ability to dip into the free agent market while teams are still a little tight, including RFAs where the QO is too rich, we'll have some cap space and open (maybe) protection slots to take advantage of teams that are actually overflowing with talent that they can't keep, and then I think you need some real strong support to help aging stars make it through...

If Gusev can be the Bobby Rousseau to our Jean Beliveau (Sidney Crosby), or - and it's a little weird to say it because the ages aren't so vastly different - but in a different non-Gusev deal, a Brendan Shanahan to our Steve Yzerman...something that just absorbs a lot of grind work and let's our stars age a little bit more gracefully...then you see how it goes...

Yzerman only won after his prime...Beliveau won 5 in his last 6 seasons after the age of 33...

Now, I know we're not gonna get a mess of Cups the rest of the way here...but I think you can look at the roster right now and go, "no, this won't do"...but if you start turning it over in a more useful way (ya know, kinda the opposite of what GMJR did, but look at how quickly he was able to turn the soil over), you don't know what you might find...for me, Gusev represents "ah **** it, let's go down swinging...", Pettersson and our bottom six (sans a couple guys) says, "ah **** it, let's just go down on ourselves..."

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:59 pm

The thing about trading from a position of perceived strength - and your citation of Kessel is well taken - is you have to maximize the god dang asset...trading a falling knife in Kessel for a, uhh, whatever that spiked ball is on the end of a mace or whatever...is not a good idea...we traded in our jalopy for a lemon, that's not how you take advantage of trade-in offers...

Now, you could also state that Nikita Gusev doesn't check that box off either, and I'd buy that...I don't get the sense that Pettersson has a lot of trade value around the league...I think Gusev is about right, if there was a younger version of Gusev out there, like Kahun (who is a little less on the technical skill for me), I think that's about right...I think it's a little less than Maatta's trade value when we moved him, not adjusting for covid money troubles...
All fine. And yes, more complicated than my first post. Kessel would have cancelled most trades anyway so what could you do?

As long as we all want Petterson to be taken by Seattle I’m good.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:07 pm

Well, my want is the get near the Maatta return...but [last song on Let It Bleed]...

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:22 pm

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:30 pm

First time Evan Rodrigues and an exclamation point have been used in the same paragraph?