mikey's Thread of Penguin Randomness

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:27 am

Sprong isn’t bad defensively. He just doesn’t want to do it.
Hockey sense is universal. Can't be smart offensively and not smart defensively...converse of each other. Can't be intelligent in the living room and dumb when you walk on to the porch...similarly, crossing painted lines does not reduce intelligence. Desire, as you note, is quite another thing.

See: Kessel's 2016 playoffs with us...Neal's first playoff with us. Both the best defensive efforts of their careers to date. Not yet duplicated.
Interesting. Not sure I am fully onboard with this. I think hockey sense can vary from zone to zone - hell, from situation to situation - so I think an offensive dynamo could be a dumbass on the D zone.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:29 am

Nope.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:38 am

Letang is neither an offensive dynamo or a dumbass in the defensive zone, but I lol’d

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:47 am

Hockey sense is universal. Can't be smart offensively and not smart defensively...converse of each other. Can't be intelligent in the living room and dumb when you walk on to the porch...similarly, crossing painted lines does not reduce intelligence. Desire, as you note, is quite another thing.

See: Kessel's 2016 playoffs with us...Neal's first playoff with us. Both the best defensive efforts of their careers to date. Not yet duplicated.
Interesting. Not sure I am fully onboard with this. I think hockey sense can vary from zone to zone - hell, from situation to situation - so I think an offensive dynamo could be a dumbass on the D zone.
Quite impossible, my dear meow. Offensive strategy...that is, tactical offensive prowess (not to be confused with pure technical skill) is just a mirror of defensive prowess. The difference is desire and deployment. When they've been asked, some of the noteworthy one-way players in the game have always come up in defensive spots...Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby is almost Selke caliber in most playoffs...Yzerman came around late in his career, Joe Thornton's fourth line roles with Team Canada, etc.

Evander Kane, Tyler Kennedy, Dion Phaneuf, etc. they had varying degrees of technical skill, and had 20+ goal seasons but their defense never changed...Kennedy just backchecked like his hair was on fire, regardless of the system...he didn't know where he was going or what he was doing...he just played the same game every night. Up my wing, down my wing, line change...up my wing, down my wing, line change...Phaneuf same mistakes as he had in Red Deer or where ever he played junior, I think Red Deer...still makes them. You know Kaner...

If you know how to manipulate the game to get offense out of it, you know how to stop your counterpart at defense. Because you know what he wants to do to get a scoring chance...

Stupidity doesn't know geographic coordinates...like I said, you can't know how to do calculus in the living room but can't figure out pre-calc on the front porch...it can't work like that. The brain doesn't lose processing power in that situation.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:18 am

Oh yeah? Then how's come in my EA NHL Be a Pro, there are attributes for offensive awareness AND defensive awareness? I didn't see no "hockey sense" slider. Answer that one, smart guy.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:20 am

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:20 am

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:22 am

Saw this crowd video on Reddit yesterday. I miss hockey.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:23 am

Best case scenario is Riikola being good enough to replace Jack Johnson. Ok, best case scenario is for Jack Johnson to play well enough to make us forget he's Jack Johnson.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:31 am

He did a good job at clearing the net and a few times he skated the puck from behind the net and into the neutral zone. I believe that is what they want from him. Other times he looked like he's never played hockey before.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:32 am

Is the idea that Gonchar makes Johnson forget his Johnson the same way Schultz forgot he was Schultz?

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:54 am

Quite impossible, my dear meow. Offensive strategy...that is, tactical offensive prowess (not to be confused with pure technical skill) is just a mirror of defensive prowess. The difference is desire and deployment. When they've been asked, some of the noteworthy one-way players in the game have always come up in defensive spots...Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby is almost Selke caliber in most playoffs...Yzerman came around late in his career, Joe Thornton's fourth line roles with Team Canada, etc.

Evander Kane, Tyler Kennedy, Dion Phaneuf, etc. they had varying degrees of technical skill, and had 20+ goal seasons but their defense never changed...Kennedy just backchecked like his hair was on fire, regardless of the system...he didn't know where he was going or what he was doing...he just played the same game every night. Up my wing, down my wing, line change...up my wing, down my wing, line change...Phaneuf same mistakes as he had in Red Deer or where ever he played junior, I think Red Deer...still makes them. You know Kaner...

If you know how to manipulate the game to get offense out of it, you know how to stop your counterpart at defense. Because you know what he wants to do to get a scoring chance...

Stupidity doesn't know geographic coordinates...like I said, you can't know how to do calculus in the living room but can't figure out pre-calc on the front porch...it can't work like that. The brain doesn't lose processing power in that situation.
Are you saying that every player has the same aptitude for the defensive side of the game as he does for the offensive side of the game? And vice versa? Is that what I’m reading or do I need another cup of coffee?

Lelldorin

Postby Lelldorin » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:46 am

Yeah, that seems untenable...in all facets...

I better watch more of last night's game (I was tied up in 2019 draft stuff, so could only catch splotches of it)...if he's able to replace a 40-point, top-4 NHL d-man in any regard, that would be sensational...that notion is crazy to me with my limited knowledge of Riikola...maybe that notion changes with more exposure to him...
Yeah, as I said in my post, it wouldn't be a 1 to 1 swap, Riikola for Schultz. I don't think Riikola has THAT much upside. I think he can be a #5 guy, and maybe a poor #4 at best. But, if the Penguins are intent on making Jack Johnson a top 4 d-man on this team, I think something is going to have to give. Guentzel needs a raise, Matt Murray has a raise in 2 years, and if there are any thoughts of retaining Hagelin or Brassard, or both, salary has to go from somewhere.

Every member of the Penguins starting 6 defense makes over 2M, and Schultz has the shortest term remaining. Nobody wants to see Kessel or Letang go, but, Guentzel, Murray, and possibly even Sprong are going to need raises. Having a solid, but cheap defenseman in the top 6 would help offset some of that cost, and, aside from Riikola or Addison, I don't think there is anyone in the Penguins system right now who could do the job. To me, moving Schultz makes sense from that perspective.
I would have used Letang to get Karlsson with extension...

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:56 am

It's clearly not the route the Sens were going to take. They wanted picks and prospects.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:58 am

Oh man, I can't wait to see Letang make dumb mistakes and then not have an injury to blame for the time being. Hockey season is truly here.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:02 am

Are you saying that every player has the same aptitude for the defensive side of the game as he does for the offensive side of the game? And vice versa? Is that what I’m reading or do I need another cup of coffee?
Oh absolutely. Since you said "aptitude" I'm assuming that you're getting the difference between technical skill and mental ability already. These players that are "sticky" defensively...the best ones, they have that defensive viscosity as I like to call it...they would be terrific offensive players if they had the technical skills to back it up or the role...

Bob Gainey, Guy Carbonneau, Sean Couturier...next up Jesperi Kotkaniemi...these are mirror guys...they mirror offense so well and they stop it from happening. When posed with the converse situation, no doubt if they had the skill to pull it off, they could do it. They have the head for it...the game doesn't change in any zone or situation, still the same game...just different emphasis. I'm living example of this at my level...strong defensive game because I think the game well...offensively, I know where to go, but I'm a total plug. So I play the Hornqvist style and still score a bunch* of goal(s)...

If I ever play well below my level, my game changes to playmaking center and I rack up apples because I have the thinking part down...I get the seams, I get the movement...when the game slows down for me, I can execute it. I'm typically playing over my head, so I settle in to the role that should play there.

Guy Carbonneau had a higher point total in his best QMJHL season than Denis Savard.

Savard was given an offensive role in the NHL - had five 100+ point seasons. Over 1300 career points...no big deal.
Carbonneau used in a defensive role, offensive skills were left behind to focus on defense...put in defensive role. Never topped 60 points...sub 0.5 point per game player in the same amount of games. Steve Kasper - QMJHL grad at the same time as Carbs and Savard, same story as Carbs.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:47 am

Best case scenario is Riikola being good enough to replace Jack Johnson. Ok, best case scenario is for Jack Johnson to play well enough to make us forget he's Jack Johnson.
I would like this to happen.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:53 pm

https://www.nhl.com/penguins/news/pengu ... -300270928
The Pittsburgh Penguins have reduced their training camp roster to 45 players, it was announced today by executive vice president and general manager Jim Rutherford.

Forwards Fredrik Tiffels and Troy Josephs, defensemen Dane Birks and Joe Masonius and goaltender Anthony Peters have all been assigned to the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins of the American Hockey League.

Six players have been returned to their various junior teams. Heading back to their teams in the Western Hockey League are forward Jordy Bellerive and defenseman Calen Addison (Lethbridge) and forward Justin Almeida (Moose Jaw). Goaltender Alex D'Orio (Saint John) and forward Jan Drozg (Shawinigan) are going back to teams in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League. Defenseman Antti Palojarvi is returning to Lukko of Finland's SM-Liiga.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:42 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, Not Tiffelllllllllllllllllllllllssssssssssss............. *sob*

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:45 pm

Free Bellerive.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:46 pm

Meh, he didn't look so hot last night. Him back to the WHL will be better, he's even lucky to be playing right meow.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:35 pm

drove from Charlotte to Wilmington today...the roads I had to take (since the main highway was washed out) were NC-71 -> NC-87 -> NC-11

this is a sign, right?

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:38 pm

I'm not super familiar with that part of the state; i.e, more than 20 miles from the coast, but I've never heard of any of those roads. Props to you. :lol:

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:15 am

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:00 am

Billy G is the man. Excellent choice.