mikey's Thread of Penguin Randomness

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:41 pm

Lay your concerns out before I call you a loon
Hospital Administrator Meow, you once described Murray as the most mentally tough goalie you’ve ever seen. I propose to you that this was partly coincidental and partly him riding the wave as a guy who achieved instant success and never got punched in the mouth. I think he has normal mental toughness. Perfectly adequate. Not a competitive advantage, however.

And meow. His glove is bad. I think he’s overall an above average goalie but his glove drags him down to liability level in high stakes. Nagging injury? Does it matter?

As for Sully, I’m sleepy right now. I’ll trickle this POV out over the coming months.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:00 pm

I just met Pierre McGuire in the lobby of the Marriott. AMA

crusherstasiak

Postby crusherstasiak » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:02 pm

ima virtue signal and say that my only experience with playing hockey had to do with a frozen chartiers creek and ice skates with red and green plaid lining in contrast with @meow who played the game at a high level; but imo murray's glove is fine when he doesn't make himself small. that i hear borque/armstrong/burke et al say the same thing is the only thing i got but you don't have to be an expert to see when it happens

crusherstasiak

Postby crusherstasiak » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:05 pm

I just met Pierre McGuire in the lobby of the Marriott. AMA
did you ask him if that marriot is as nice as the one in gotlmung home of the gotlmung falcons of the finnish primary league where eddie vedder's uncle, carl, is an assistant coach?

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:07 pm

:lol:

He seemed really nice. Checking in for the game tomorrow of course. Should have asked him for a selfie but didn't want to be that guy

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:10 pm

Sidney Crosby (1,185) surpassed Rod Brind'Amour (1,184) for 49th place on the NHL's career scoring list.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:33 pm

Hospital Administrator Meow, you once described Murray as the most mentally tough goalie you’ve ever seen. I propose to you that this was partly coincidental and partly him riding the wave as a guy who achieved instant success and never got punched in the mouth. I think he has normal mental toughness. Perfectly adequate. Not a competitive advantage, however.

And meow. His glove is bad. I think he’s overall an above average goalie but his glove drags him down to liability level in high stakes. Nagging injury? Does it matter?
Honestly, I would probably walk back the most mentally tough goalie comment - even though I would put him at well above average. Perhaps a 13 out of 16 and it would be a competitive advantage.

The glove is bad, no secret. Which is the issue. It’s no longer a secret. Dudes in the O weren’t wiring the puck by his glove. His rookie season(s), the mud butt glove wasn’t in the scouting reports. Nothing was in the scouting reports beyond, “welp, good luck, eh.” Now the cat is out of the bag, but you have to (well, you don’t have to, but you should) give him some time to adjust and work some kinks out.

Neither of these issues give me heartburn. What does give me heartburn is his lack of physical toughness. Don’t get this confused with injuries - that is completely unrelated and I won’t comment on that. When players get in his kitchen, he goes down easier than a woman of the night. I’d like to see the battle level up a bit. Not Mike Smith or Robin Lehner level, but don’t wilt like some...well...something that wilts easy.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:36 pm

Kevin Weekes thinks he (Murray) needs to add 10 pounds of muscle. Makes sense.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:45 pm

Hospital Administrator Meow
Meow, didn't you work for an energy company before? Someone here did.

crusherstasiak

Postby crusherstasiak » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:51 pm

is there a puck pitching machine then?

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:14 pm

That would bring his total muscle mass up to about 10 pounds.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:19 pm

Honestly, I would probably walk back the most mentally tough goalie comment - even though I would put him at well above average. Perhaps a 13 out of 16 and it would be a competitive advantage.

The glove is bad, no secret. Which is the issue. It’s no longer a secret. Dudes in the O weren’t wiring the puck by his glove. His rookie season(s), the mud butt glove wasn’t in the scouting reports. Nothing was in the scouting reports beyond, “welp, good luck, eh.” Now the cat is out of the bag, but you have to (well, you don’t have to, but you should) give him some time to adjust and work some kinks out.

Neither of these issues give me heartburn. What does give me heartburn is his lack of physical toughness. Don’t get this confused with injuries - that is completely unrelated and I won’t comment on that. When players get in his kitchen, he goes down easier than a woman of the night. I’d like to see the battle level up a bit. Not Mike Smith or Robin Lehner level, but don’t wilt like some...well...something that wilts easy.
Is going down a tactic? Might he think that’s his most effective way?

I remember that 5 on 3 against the preds late in game 6. I think he was “down like a broad” and made about 50 saves in one sequence and let out an audible “%*!* yes!!!” or something. Maybe that moment is clouding me.

If his glove can improve, cool. He cost us last year. Big. Swap him and Letang with replacement level players (and give Sully the flu or something) and we’re on our way to lose to Tampa. Letang is fixed. Those other guys...how many more chances? And I guess that’s my original question.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:25 pm

That would bring his total muscle mass up to about 10 pounds.
He looks sickly out there. I want my goalies handsome like Lundqvist.

meow

Postby meow » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:59 pm

Is going down a tactic? Might he think that’s his most effective way?

I remember that 5 on 3 against the preds late in game 6. I think he was “down like a broad” and made about 50 saves in one sequence and let out an audible “%*!* yes!!!” or something. Maybe that moment is clouding me.

If his glove can improve, cool. He cost us last year. Big. Swap him and Letang with replacement level players (and give Sully the flu or something) and we’re on our way to lose to Tampa. Letang is fixed. Those other guys...how many more chances? And I guess that’s my original question.
Not sure I follow the “is going down a tactic?” comment. That’s how the position is played now. It’s basically the only way to play it. Shooters are too good. They shoot too hard and too accurate to not play the percentages. There is too much traffic to be some Johnny Standup goalie. You have to take away the easiest avenue for goals- along the ice - as a default.

He wasn’t great last year, but on the totem pole of blame, there were two or three asses above him. It was also a season where he battled injuries for the first time. A season his father passed. A season without MAF as a mentor. A season without Mike Bales.

Even with his horrendous start, his save percentage is 9 points higher than league average. Goaltending as a whole is down this year. We are getting good goaltending most nights.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:19 pm

I see. You mean he gets knocked around easy. I thought you meant that Murray panics and breaks formation by dropping down too often. This is why I don’t talk about goaltending.

nocera

Postby nocera » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:48 pm

Pens currently out of the playoffs.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:40 am

Pens currently out of the playoffs.
Probably time to flip that proverbial switch...

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:48 am

We’ve got one game in hand on Carolina, but that’s about it. If Geno continues to play like he did yesterday, we should at least start scoring more.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:12 am

They won't miss the playoffs.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:13 am

Maybe it needs more time but that line of Bjugs Geno and Phil didn't look great yesterday

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:31 am

I was encouraged by Malkin yesterday.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:55 am

meow

Postby meow » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:07 am

Is that right? Weren’t they technically out of the playoffs on the last day during the Johnston era? They needed to beat Buffalo to get in?

Maybe I need another coffee.

meow

Postby meow » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:10 am

Hospital Administrator Meow
Meow, didn't you work for an energy company before? Someone here did.
I worked for a oil and gas brokerage while working on MHA.

meow

Postby meow » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:12 am

I see. You mean he gets knocked around easy. I thought you meant that Murray panics and breaks formation by dropping down too often. This is why I don’t talk about goaltending.
Right. I think we were two ships passing in the night.

He spends an appropriate amount of time in the butterfly.

He spends too much time acting like he got shot when he takes a minor amount of contact.