mikey's Thread of Penguin Randomness

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:41 pm

5. Get a 1A goalie (more faith in jarry than most)
this is confusing me. If you have faith in Jarry shouldn't we be looking for a 1B?

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:56 pm

In priority order.

1. Geno 3 x 21
2. Ceci 3 x 10
3. Clear some dead cap (mccann, pettersson, or zucker in that order)
4. Replace the dead cap with balls (armia, Coleman, or mcginn in that order)

Honestly no reason they can't do all 5
I can’t give Geno an extension until I see him on the ice post-surgery for a couple months.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:03 pm

this is confusing me. If you have faith in Jarry shouldn't we be looking for a 1B?
I call them 1 and 1A so it's nomenclature only

Fire0nIce228

Postby Fire0nIce228 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:46 pm

In priority order.

1. Geno 3 x 21
2. Ceci 3 x 10
3. Clear some dead cap (mccann, pettersson, or zucker in that order)
4. Replace the dead cap with balls (armia, Coleman, or mcginn in that order)

Honestly no reason they can't do all 5
I can’t give Geno an extension until I see him on the ice post-surgery for a couple months.
too much term and dollars for 35+ geno. one or the other only ..

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:17 pm

This is crazy to think...but there’s a can he, albeit small one, that Geno hangs it up after this injury. From the looks of it, this is a multi-ligament injury. Rehab is gonna be a bear. I’m not saying it’s likely, if I had to guess I’d say less than a 10 percent chance he retires....but there’s a chance in my mind

Lelldorin

Postby Lelldorin » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:53 am

I want a lot of stuff ;) We can probably field almost the same team next year if we choose to do so. But some tinkering should be done.

1 - try to pick up a defenseman on the cheap before the expansion draft. Perhaps move McCann or a draft pick? Ideally, I would like someone that can be a physical presence in front of our net.
3 - hope that we lose Pettersson in the expansion draft. Matheson would also free up cap.
4 - Consider whether Jarry will redeem himself next year. I want two healthy goalies than can play in the playoffs next year, especially if Jarry is one of them. This year we had to resort to Lagace...
5 - resign Gaudreau, Blueger and Ceci if the later comes somewhat cheap
6 - explore the trade market for Zucker to free up cap space. I would be happy with a draft pick
7 - decide when to extend Letang, Malkin, Kapanen, Rust, McCann (?), Carter (?)

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:12 am

To be fair, going into the playoffs with Lagace as your backup was never the plan.

Kane

Postby Kane » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:10 am

Shame he was never given the chance to start a Lagace.

Lelldorin

Postby Lelldorin » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:45 am

I know, but it felt really bad that we had no alternative to a Jarry that were quite shaky. I am not sure how to prevent that unless you have three goalies, but I don't want to be in the same situation again.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:58 am

I want a lot of stuff ;) We can probably field almost the same team next year if we choose to do so. But some tinkering should be done.

1 - try to pick up a defenseman on the cheap before the expansion draft. Perhaps move McCann or a draft pick? Ideally, I would like someone that can be a physical presence in front of our net.
3 - hope that we lose Pettersson in the expansion draft. Matheson would also free up cap.
4 - Consider whether Jarry will redeem himself next year. I want two healthy goalies than can play in the playoffs next year, especially if Jarry is one of them. This year we had to resort to Lagace...
5 - resign Gaudreau, Blueger and Ceci if the later comes somewhat cheap
6 - explore the trade market for Zucker to free up cap space. I would be happy with a draft pick
7 - decide when to extend Letang, Malkin, Kapanen, Rust, McCann (?), Carter (?)
1 - yes, but I don't think there's a need to pick one up before the expansion draft. I wouldn't want to run the risk of picking up a cheap defenseman and having Seattle pick him because of the cheap price tag.
2 - what happened to 2? ;)
3 - Hoping they choose Petterson over Matherson despite the latter's higher price tag. Can we offer them Matheson if they promise to pick Petterson? I'm joking... maybe.
4 - Like a few other people have said earlier, I want to see how Jarry does in a real 1/1A or 1A/1B situation. I think part of the problem was that a) Jarry played a large portion of games under a compressed schedule and was either never rested or b) was hiding some type of injury that was never made public. Put him in a situation that gives him and another goalie 40-45 appearances in an 82 game season instead of the 39 in 56 games and go from there. If he can't handle a lesser workload or if the workload isn't the issue, then maybe it would be time to look elsewhere.
5 - all three should be cheap, but...
6 - the Pens are so tight against the cap as it is that somebody needs to go. Correction, they are actually over the cap at this point. $1.167m with several RFAs (ZAR @ $1m, Zohorna @ $792k, Bleuger @ $750k) that need re-signed. The expansion draft should help a little with clearing out some salary.
7 - Yes. 100% yes. I hate the fact that the Pens gave up their top defensive prospect and a first for Zucker. It's gonna suck even more when they move him for pennies on the dollar, but this move and a few more moves need to happen. I don't even mean from a housecleaning point, although that is an equally valid reason. The team is over the cap and needs money to sign RFAs. Moving Zucker for next to nothing makes that possible.
8 - Letang - yes, although I don't know how much.
Malkin - I hate to say it, but no. At some point you have to cut ties with older players. He has missed 1/4 of the games over the last three seasons. Even at a lesser AAV (I believe somebody suggested $6m) and at a 35+ contract, that's still a tough signing. And it's not that I don't believe Geno is a $6m player at 35. It's that I don't believe he'll be that same player when he hits the latter part of that extension. Could they offer a series of one year contracts? Maybe, but would he even entertain those offers?
Kapanen - yes
Rust - start working on that extension immediately
McCann - trade him
Carter - a one or two year extension until they find a more permanent replacement

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:36 am

I think the timeframe for #1 goes back to a previous lecture from Professor Mikey. Pens really only have two defensemen worthy of protecting, while having too many forwards to protect. You get to protect 7 and 3 or 8 skaters. Find a team out there that thinks they have 4 defensemen worthy of protection. They’re either gonna leave a good player exposed, leave their forwards shortchanged, or actually need a forward. That’s where you come in with a Zucker or McCann in exchange for one of the defensemen.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:49 am

Exactly. Or even a pick. There are a lot of teams in a tough spot for d-men. If you're really covering your bases and getting creative, you get with Ron Francis in Seattle and team up with him. "I'll go low, you go high" deal, where maybe you look at who they're targeting on, say, Minnesota and go, "Hey, we're about to get Dumba for a 3rd right now...I know that's a guy you want. We won't pull the trigger on that if you guys take Pettersson instead of Blugers (or whatever)"

There's just so many moving pieces and it's such a rare situation that if you're not maximizing your creativity, you're missing a chance to really improve your situation...

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:42 am

Crosby was named most complete player on 23.78% of ballots. He was tied with Boston's Patrice Bergeron, each receiving 112 of 471 votes.

Pittsburgh was well represented throughout the player poll, ranking in the top-6 in the additional categories:

If you need to win one game, who is the one player (any position) you want on your team - Sidney Crosby (No. 2 with 23.04% of player votes)
Best passer - Sidney Crosby (No. 6 with 4.23% of player votes)
Most fashionable - Kris Letang (No. 5 with 4.53% of player votes)
Most superstitious - Sidney Crosby (No. 1 with 27.35% of player votes)

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:14 pm

MAF above Price? Suck it meow

Lelldorin

Postby Lelldorin » Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:22 am

I think I had resigning Letang as #2, but then lumped him together with the rest of the upcoming UFAs...

I hope that Zucker has some trade value, otherwise I think he would be picked in the expansion draft if exposed. Seattle needs to reach the cap floor and can/should therefore pick some of the best players available unless they have too bad contracts. I don't think they would pick a Bobrovsky, for example.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:14 am

Here's the thing there...they can also get paid to take on some meaty contracts of players that are good, just not as good as the money they're being paid...

Like, we wouldn't mind Zucker at $3 mil a year, but at $6 mil he's a beast of burden...if I'm Ron Francis, I think I can grease the wheels on some of the bigger tickets...

I also have a sense they can convince Dougie Hamilton to play there...there's a connection there with Francis. That's going to be $8 or $9 million probably...

Lelldorin

Postby Lelldorin » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:01 am

Yeah I know what you mean but I will not pay Seattle to take Zucker. I would only entertain it for Pettersson. But probably not for him either. He is also an nhler but paid 1-2 millions too much.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:17 am

I’m ready to part ways with Zucker. He doesn’t really do anything for me

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:58 pm

Zucker is alright. Makes too much. If someone takes him that'd be nice. If not, he's still decent

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:23 pm

I don't get the sense that we're going to give up any asset to deal with our current group...I think we'll protect who we protect, and whatever happens happens...

I don't rule out the possibility of us trying to make an add prior to the ED...

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:19 am

relantel

Postby relantel » Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:21 pm

Trotman always seemed to be injured when he would have been the next man up

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:19 am

Ten years ago today, #jagrwatch was captivating the city of Pittsburgh.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:11 am

Ten years ago today, #jagrwatch was captivating the city of Pittsburgh.
And Jagr continued to be Jagr. Play and effort can’t be questioned but “enigma” describes his behavior/personality best.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:43 pm