mikey's Thread of Penguin Randomness

MR25

Postby MR25 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:29 pm

So they're in last instead of 25th. A whole 6 spots.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:38 pm

mcdavid is better than kucherov and means more to his team than kucherov. he's continually disqualified because of his GM and because he plays in a city nobody wants to live in. and hall doesn't win or even get nominated last year if a few random breaks go against NJ throughout the year. so is this a system we like? seems like a crappy summary of the season. "this guy on this 8 seed won the MVP even though a guy who finished 1 points below in the standings was more deserving in every other way"...that hypothetical premise smells funny.

it should just go to whoever played the best. the "V" in MVP is a silly qualifier.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:05 pm

mcdavid is better than kucherov and means more to his team than kucherov. he's continually disqualified because of his GM and because he plays in a city nobody wants to live in. and hall doesn't win or even get nominated last year if a few random breaks go against NJ throughout the year. so is this a system we like? seems like a crappy summary of the season. "this guy on this 8 seed won the MVP even though a guy who finished 1 points below in the standings was more deserving in every other way"...that hypothetical premise smells funny.

it should just go to whoever played the best. the "V" in MVP is a silly qualifier.
I agree. But it's there so that's what I would evaluate off of. Best player was Kucherov without any debate really

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:04 pm

A.) it is ownership that keeps the trash around him
b.) he signed there long term. he didn't have to.

Lelldorin

Postby Lelldorin » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:53 am

The Hart Trophy should go the player that most teams would have liked to have on their team during the season. Which player would you have built a team around if you wanted to finish as high in the standings as possible?

McDavid should win the trophy, but Kucherov will get it.

Re: The MVP needs to take his team to the playoffs. Could a Mario Lemieux at his peak have taken the Ottawa team to the playoffs this year? Or whichever player of your choice. It would have been very hard to get his team 34 more points...

Orlando Penguin

Postby Orlando Penguin » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:49 am

If you take the MVP off a last place team (Alex Rodriguez with Rangers in 2003) or off a team that doesn't make the playoffs (McDavid this year), what happens to the team? They're still in last place or out of the playoffs. That's my first criteria when evaluating MVP candidates.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:11 pm

What’s the high level purpose of the award?

A) reward a player
B) document the season that was

For A, you could make a case for any of the finalists. For B, I suppose it makes sense to give it to kucherov since the lightning were more relevant. So maybe that’s what it comes down to. Relevance. And while it’s possible for McDavid to pull off an upset there, I think you’d need a late season push, just falling short, or something more distinct about his circumstances.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:44 pm

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:51 pm

Only one 1st round pick in that time (Kapanen), so I guess it's about what you'd expect.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:11 pm

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed May 01, 2019 5:56 pm

Igor Eronko
@IgorEronko
Malkin to
@galkevich32
: I'm used to the talks I'm get traded so it doesn't get me nervous. Now I'm in the team Russia and I'll try to prove I'm good.I had a bad season and I'm going to get me out of the pit.Sometimes criticism is justified. This time it's probably justified #Pens
Credit to him for acknowledging his poor season.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed May 01, 2019 7:42 pm

It would give me great pain to see Geno playing for Florida or New York...I'm an asset manager guy, I like to win...but I can't see a reasonable avenue where that guy leaves...

Lelldorin

Postby Lelldorin » Thu May 02, 2019 4:33 am

It would give me great pain to see Geno playing for Florida or New York...I'm an asset manager guy, I like to win...but I can't see a reasonable avenue where that guy leaves...
So you wouldn't consider the Trocheck trade you conjured? I would say it might be a possibility if you want to cash in on an aging superstar...

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu May 02, 2019 7:11 am

Igor Eronko
@IgorEronko
Malkin to
@galkevich32
: I'm used to the talks I'm get traded so it doesn't get me nervous. Now I'm in the team Russia and I'll try to prove I'm good.I had a bad season and I'm going to get me out of the pit.Sometimes criticism is justified. This time it's probably justified #Pens
If you've ever wondered why the typical yinzer has terrible hockey takes look no further than DVE sports. Geno says he has a big season, however on my ride to work this morning those clowns are saying how Geno doesn't really care that he had a bad season and is focused on playing for Russia. What did Geno do to tick them off?

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu May 02, 2019 7:18 am

So you wouldn't consider the Trocheck trade you conjured? I would say it might be a possibility if you want to cash in on an aging superstar...
Consider? Yeah, sure. Ultimately, I don't think I can do it. In a video game like EHM sure, but in real life, with real people, it's a real tough sell...

Jim

Postby Jim » Thu May 02, 2019 7:28 am

Igor Eronko
@IgorEronko
Malkin to
@galkevich32
If you've ever wondered why the typical yinzer has terrible hockey takes look no further than DVE sports. Geno says he has a big season, however on my ride to work this morning those clowns are saying how Geno doesn't really care that he had a bad season and is focused on playing for Russia. What did Geno do to tick them off?
Acknowledging and caring are two different things. Just like not acknowledging and not caring are two different things.

I can say that my posting manner tends to be rather combative and I should be more friendly. But that doesn't mean that I actually care. it just means that i know it and that I acknowledge it.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu May 02, 2019 9:01 am

Geno often discusses how he thinks the team can improve, and how he has to play better. His playing "better" doesn't align with the team philosophy, and he really hasn't shown that he wants to consistently be good on the other side of the puck, so it may be more of the same.

At 33, he does need to change his game a bit in order to continue being worth the huge cap hit. We'll see, I still don't think they trade him.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu May 02, 2019 9:03 am

https://twitter.com/TheWHL/status/11236 ... 9389664258
The winner of Brad Horung Trophy as WHL Most Sportsmanlike Player of the Year is @penguins prospect @justinalmeida27 of @MJWARRIORS!

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu May 02, 2019 10:27 am

Another anti-shemnguin player coming on board...

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu May 02, 2019 10:36 am

i don't know if i have a profile that i explicitly dislike anymore...other than brandon sutter. but that's mainly because of how people get confused about his actual value, and what the tradeoff is for that value.

i don't even dislike anyone on our team - even though i hate our team. if this guy plays hard, great. if he has some skill, even better. if he's physical, yippee whippeee.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu May 02, 2019 11:22 am

Sportsmanlike? Sounds like a *****.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu May 02, 2019 11:30 am

i don't know if i have a profile that i explicitly dislike anymore...other than brandon sutter. but that's mainly because of how people get confused about his actual value, and what the tradeoff is for that value.

i don't even dislike anyone on our team - even though i hate our team. if this guy plays hard, great. if he has some skill, even better. if he's physical, yippee whippeee.
Oh yeah...Kessel. I dislike Kessel. But not because of his profile. But because he suddenly sucks for months at a time for mysterious reasons - which is not compatible with his role as a key cog.

Jim

Postby Jim » Thu May 02, 2019 11:43 am

Oh yeah...Kessel. I dislike Kessel. But not because of his profile. But because he suddenly sucks for months at a time for mysterious reasons - which is not compatible with his role as a key cog.

Which months at a time did he suck in?

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu May 02, 2019 11:45 am

Which months at a time did he suck in?
Pardon? Is this up for debate or is it prelude to a Malkin complaint?

He was obviously performing poorly from January thru March. There’s hard data. The eyeball test. Whatever you need.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu May 02, 2019 12:23 pm

i don't know if i have a profile that i explicitly dislike anymore
There certainly is a profile you prefer

And profile is probably the wrong word. Role is a better choice