mikey's Thread of Penguin Randomness

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:39 am

Glad I'm paying monthly for ESPN+, because I might be cancelling it soon to prevent me from watching any more games.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:31 pm

One of the biggest things I am hoping for with a sale is to kickstart the development of the arena district.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:33 pm

The area around the arena is one of the worst in North America among venues that I've been to...there are junior hockey rinks with a better arena district than that...

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:40 pm

With the overpass park project and the FNB bank civic arena redevelopment project that area should start improving (hopefully). The park is scheduled to be done soon. The Civic Arena redevelopment project just broke ground in September.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:49 pm

Half of the bars were COVID victims (Bufords, TGI)

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:51 pm

I usually just park over on Grant, have dinner at someplace like The Commoner, and then walk to the arena. The bars that are there are packed to the point that it's just not a realistic option for me, even pre-COVID.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:58 pm

Source of the post The Commoner
Commoner has a delicious breakfast.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:39 pm

Source of the post The Commoner
Commoner has a delicious breakfast.
Just had it for the first time a couple weeks ago. Just tremendous

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:56 am

I wanted to pick a French Canadian for PAP today.

Do we really only have one on the active roster?

the wicked child

Postby the wicked child » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:17 pm

Any word on who's in or out for this trip with all teh covid stuff?

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:43 pm

Insisting that the Penguins remain his team and that he is fully committed to them, Letang knows full well that his time with the Pennsylvania organization will come to an end sooner or later. The 34-year-old skater, if he does not retire under the colors of the “Pens”, could be tempted by a visit to Montreal.

“I spent my career with the Penguins, they gave me my chance, helped me get through all the hardships in my life. I had the support of our two owners, Mario Lemieux and Ron Burkle. I have a strong relationship with several players, including Sidney [Crosby]. [...] But if I have to sit down and think that hockey is a business, that anything can happen and that one day, the Penguins will decide to rebuild and let go of the old dead wood, it is sure that the Canadian - I come from Montreal, I was born there - would be in the interesting choices, declared the one who will be eligible for full autonomy next summer.

"It's hard to imagine yourself in another jersey when you've been wearing the same one for 15 years, but if you told me tomorrow morning that the Penguins didn't want me anymore, then if I had to give you a top 3 or top 4 teams [to choose], the Canadian would be one of the teams for sure. "
https://www.tvasports.ca/2021/11/17/kri ... -canadiens

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:47 pm

"Declared the one who will be eligible for full autonomy next summer" :lol:

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:55 pm

That's news? Local boy says he'd play for local team if long-time team doesn't want him anymore?

Jim

Postby Jim » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:25 pm

Insisting that the Penguins remain his team and that he is fully committed to them, Letang knows full well that his time with the Pennsylvania organization will come to an end sooner or later. The 34-year-old skater, if he does not retire under the colors of the “Pens”, could be tempted by a visit to Montreal.

“I spent my career with the Penguins, they gave me my chance, helped me get through all the hardships in my life. I had the support of our two owners, Mario Lemieux and Ron Burkle. I have a strong relationship with several players, including Sidney [Crosby]. [...] But if I have to sit down and think that hockey is a business, that anything can happen and that one day, the Penguins will decide to rebuild and let go of the old dead wood, it is sure that the Canadian - I come from Montreal, I was born there - would be in the interesting choices, declared the one who will be eligible for full autonomy next summer.

"It's hard to imagine yourself in another jersey when you've been wearing the same one for 15 years, but if you told me tomorrow morning that the Penguins didn't want me anymore, then if I had to give you a top 3 or top 4 teams [to choose], the Canadian would be one of the teams for sure. "
https://www.tvasports.ca/2021/11/17/kri ... -canadiens
Letang ($3.625M ret) for 1st, Guhle, Byron (only real cap offset option), 2nd (for taking Byron)
or
Letang ($2M ret) for 1st, Guhle, Drouin

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:17 pm

"It's hard to imagine yourself in another jersey when you've been wearing the same one for 15 years..."

I've been imagining it for about 7 years. Let's **** go.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:24 pm

Kaiden Guhle isn't skilled enough to be my preferred return for Letang...we really need some skill on the back end if we're going to make this move...

Jim

Postby Jim » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:28 pm

Kaiden Guhle isn't skilled enough to be my preferred return for Letang...we really need some skill on the back end if we're going to make this move...
He seemed more a Dumoulin style replacement. A bit more defensive reliable guy. I want D to play D.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:31 pm

Yeah, but those guys are way easier to find (we traded for Dumo as an afterthought, we traded for Pettersson by using Sprong who had barely played in the league, etc.)...if you have your best asset in your holster, you gotta do better than the primary piece being someone you can just find along the way...you want to return an elite asset, something that is rare to find...

That's why teams like Buffalo - who trade ROR and Eichel for loose change - never ever come out on the other side...trades like Letang for Guhle...

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:34 pm

For the record, trading him after the window has closed doesn't really do anything for me. If anything it lets him off easy.

Jim

Postby Jim » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:17 pm

Yeah, but those guys are way easier to find (we traded for Dumo as an afterthought, we traded for Pettersson by using Sprong who had barely played in the league, etc.)...if you have your best asset in your holster, you gotta do better than the primary piece being someone you can just find along the way...you want to return an elite asset, something that is rare to find...

That's why teams like Buffalo - who trade ROR and Eichel for loose change - never ever come out on the other side...trades like Letang for Guhle...

Well it was for 3 bits, not just that guy. A Montreal deal can be someone else than Guhle. I doubt that they give up Caufield (who is tiny), Norlinder a little more O than D but seems like a lesser version of Guhle, For guys that are a year or two older, Poehling is an over-rated pass, Romanov doesn't seem to be anything special.

The young guys in Montreal are slim pickings. Guhle would seem to be the "prospect" to put into the pick, prospect, player grid. Unless you add and get Caufield and his 5 foot self.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:27 pm

CC is obviously untouchable...I imagine Romanov is too...

But overall, the Habs are 4-14...I doubt they're adding a rental...

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:59 pm

Came here to say that last part. Might need to find a different dance partner

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:12 pm

KDKA reporting that both boards have approved the sale.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:14 pm

KDKA? You sure you didn't mean DK?

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:21 pm

I’m sure DK is on the case now that someone else has reported it.