mikey's Thread of Penguin Randomness

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:53 am

The Pens will burn most of what little cap space they have on ZAR and ZOR. I don't really see them adding a veteran goalie (or much of anything) before the deadline.

Rylan

Postby Rylan » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:58 am

The Pens will burn most of what little cap space they have on ZAR and ZOR. I don't really see them adding a veteran goalie (or much of anything) before the deadline.
I agree. Unless something falls into their laps, I think they are in a good spot for at least the first 1/4 to 1/3 of the season. If in December the replacements for what they lost (really just Ceci, McGann and Ceci) and goaltending are suspect, thats when I expect them to make moves.

I think Jarry plays more consistently this year, I think DeSmith is a fine back up. And I think if there is an affordable deal to acquire a MAF or equivalent, it gets investigated. But GMRH can't be desparate, especially with goalies.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:06 am

I forgot about Zohorna, I'd like to get him in the lineup more regularly to see what he can do...

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:08 am

Agreed. You always worry about consistency with the big power forward guys. I’d love to see what he can do being in the lineup for 30 straight games.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:16 am

I would like to see Angello get some more time too. I was happy with his play last year. I even felt he should have played in the Islanders series

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:18 am

Michael Chaput was signed to a 2 way.

He was in the CBJ organization for a couple years but never really stuck. More of a WBS/depth signing.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:35 am

Last scored an NHL goal in March 2017...73 games ago...

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:37 am

I would like to see Angello get some more time too. I was happy with his play last year. I even felt he should have played in the Islanders series
I'd like to think with a fully healthy team (lol), Zohorna, ZAR, McGinn, Angello and Carter can provide some truculence on the bottom 6

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:38 am

I havent looked too hard to see what's out there but would like to see another McGinn type signing to upgrade that bottom 6 too

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:47 am

Yea barring a move that frees up cap space, I think they're pretty much done though I'm not sure how things will shake out.

Jake-Sid-Rust
Zucker-Carter-Kapanen
McGinn-Blueger-Rodrigues
ZAR-xxx-xxx

That third line is definitely a bottom third of the league third line. Maybe ZAR moves up, but then you have someone playing their off wing. Same with Simon. Rodrigues sucks though, so maybe handedness is less important than limiting his ice time. Maybe Poulin, Legare, or Hallander earn a shot on one of those lines, but based on mikey's scouting reports I don't see any of them as being ready.

4C is a mystery to me as long as Geno is out. Maybe Bellerive earns himself a look. Most reports I've read indicate that his transformed his game to become an annoying, physical little **** though I don't know if he has the faceoff or defensive prowess to man the center spot. The rest of it seems to be a question of who wins a spot and who operates as a healthy scratch or AHL depth. Lafferty is on a one-way and is waiver eligible. Angello is also waiver eligible and this season joins Lafferty on a one-way deal with questionable qualifications. Zohorna, O'Connor, Simon, the rookies. It's all a matter of which way things break.

Unless some of these guys exceed expectations, to me this is an EXTREMELY top heavy forward group. Sid's line is still excellent despite wilting in the playoffs. The second line should transform when Geno comes back, but as it stands now that would be more desirable as a third line. The waterfall continues down the list as the third line would be better as a fourth line and the fourth line would be better in the AHL. Should be interesting.

Dumo-Letang
Matheson-Marino
Pettersson-Friedman
Ruhwedel

Riikola, POJ, Fedun in the AHL

More stability with this group, though someone like Marino needs to take the next step and earn his increased pay by showing he' belongs on the 2nd pairing. Matheson slots in there because the coaching staff showed no faith in Pettersson at the end of the season and in the playoffs. Top pairing depends on those two aging gracefully. I think Friedman gets first crack at the right side on the third pairing, though we all known Ruhwedel is capable when called upon. Still would not be surprised with any kind of move to get Riikola out of the organization.

meow

Postby meow » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:18 pm

Good stuff, DD. Sliding Carter to 3C when Malkin is healthy transforms that line completely. Makes it much easier to digest

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:33 pm

Isn't Simon a natural C? Could see him centering either line in the bottom 6 as a stopgap until Malkin returns.

Or am I confusing Simon with a different Dominik that was in our prospect pool at one time?

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:42 pm

They should add another center. I forgot about Drew O'Connor too. I wonder if he can take a step and play.

I'm alright with letting some young guys battle it out for spots. We haven't really had that happen in a few years.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:44 pm

Is filip Lindberg a real player or just a guy

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:58 pm

Simon was drafted as a center but I don't think he's ever played the position in the NHL. Faceoff numbers are very low and very bad. I'm in agreement over wanting to add another proven bottom six guy, but there's not much left on the UFA market that I'm interested in. Saad is probably the best name available but he's a puss and is gonna be way out of our price range. I would take Casey Cizikas in a heartbeat but he's likely heading back to the Isles. Other than that? Danton Heinen? Maybe. Carter Rowney? Please no, not again.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:02 pm

Cizikas, if the reports were correct, wants like 4 or 5 mil. Bit too rich for my tastes.

meow

Postby meow » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:09 pm

Cizikas, if the reports were correct, wants like 4 or 5 mil. Bit too rich for my tastes.
Know your role, scumbag

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:13 pm

but it's the BEST 4TH LINE EVER! :scared:

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:25 pm

Dominik Simon has played about as many games at center in the NHL as I have...

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:42 pm

but it's the BEST 4TH LINE EVER! :scared:
The whole best 4th line is so annoying and 4+ million for Cizikas is too much but when people talk about "being tough to play against", Cizikas is that kind of guy. Erik Gudbranson is "tough" but he's definitely not tough to play against. There is a serious differentiation.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:58 pm

great, so we're worse than we were last year

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:59 pm

Barring a miracle, that was always going to be the case.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:19 pm

it is July 29th

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:20 pm

Would love cizikas. For like $2.5M though.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:39 pm

Do you say Chaput like kaput? Because that's what he's gonna give the Pens (ba dum sssh)