mikey's Thread of Penguin Randomness

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:40 am

Looks like that one is an authentic while the others (which were only $60) were replicas. Still, who the **** is going to pay $200 for that?

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:56 am

FYI for those in the same boat: Received an e-mail over the weekend from Verizon stating that my Center Ice package would be renewed around January 1st. You have until 12/21 to cancel.
big question: assuming we don't get a full 82 game season, will the price be less? :pop:

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:03 am

Kobasew is gonna be washing floors there for minimum wage in that thing if you don't buy it now...

No cheating. How many games did Chuck Kobasew play as a Penguin...? RS+playoffs.

I'll say 21.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:05 am

FYI for those in the same boat: Received an e-mail over the weekend from Verizon stating that my Center Ice package would be renewed around January 1st. You have until 12/21 to cancel.
big question: assuming we don't get a full 82 game season, will the price be less? :pop:
:lol:

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:40 am

Kobasew is gonna be washing floors there for minimum wage in that thing if you don't buy it now...

No cheating. How many games did Chuck Kobasew play as a Penguin...? RS+playoffs.

I'll say 21.
I all but forgot about the Kobasew era. Didn’t he get sent to WBS at some point? If I’m remembering that correctly I’m going to say he had at least 40 memorable games before getting dumped.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:50 am

Yeah, we waived him at some point...probably out in front of the trade deadline to give us some flexibility...

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:26 am

Chuck Kobasew... vague memories of the Pens throwing him a bone after his knees went? I could be super wrong. So many guys that could have went either way and went bad,

Ponikarovsky
Nils Ekman (#3 on Thornton’s line, but hey that one hat trick)
Palffy (should have had multiple PPG seasons here, **** quitter)
Jani Rita
Kovalev (probably not fair on this one)
Brenden Morrow
Iginla (**** you Bylsma)
Perron (although he seemed kinda gutless here, more player didn’t fit the scheme given his body of work after)
Brassard (pissbaby)
Kahun (bro, what was your problem? You were playing with Malkin and doing well)
Galchenyuk
Marleau (don’t know if this is fair, we knew what he was. Seemed to generate a good number of chances. Just didn’t bury them)
Reaves (god damn it Sully)
Sheary 2.0 (**** you Kahun)

Of course a lot have been pretty darn good,

Kunitz
Guerin
Kessel
Roberts
Dupuis
Hossa (what could have been, it was beautiful)
Neal
Sutter (he was what we thought he was, I was okay with him)
Jussi Jokinen
Horny
Bonino
Hagelin
McCann (yes we always want more but I don’t hate what he is)
Zucker

I don’t have a good reason for doing this other than I wanted a refresher. Nhltradetracker.com is a fun little tool.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:39 am

Kobasew played 30 I bet.

Fire0nIce228

Postby Fire0nIce228 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:56 am

Its so weird that Perron never got rolling here.. He seemed to fit all the needs of scoring winger, except he didnt play fast.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:58 am

I'm gonna go really low on it, like a dozen. He seemed like he was only here for a month.

Somebody else said he was sent down. I don't remember this happening. Maybe he was?

OK, I'm gonna be the one that cheats and looks for an answer.
33 GP, 2 goals, 0 assists, 15 PIM with the Penguins. He eventually was sent down to WBS where he played a dozen games and scored 11 goals and two assists.

iamjs

Postby iamjs » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:00 pm

Its so weird that Perron never got rolling here.. He seemed to fit all the needs of scoring winger, except he didnt play fast.
I remember Perron being on fire for the first ten games and then disappearing on the scoresheet and taking a shtload of bad penalties.

Now you're gonna make me find a gamelog to make sure I'm not confusing him with someone else.

iamjs

Postby iamjs » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:08 pm

6 goals and 4 assists in his first nine games, then finished the regular season with two assists in his last 17 games (12 regular season and 5 playoffs, 2014-15)

He then continued that scoring drought by not scoring in his first 11 games of the 15-16 season.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/player ... melog/2015

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:24 pm

I remember Perron being on fire for the first ten games and then disappearing on the scoresheet and taking a shtload of bad penalties.

Now you're gonna make me find a gamelog to make sure I'm not confusing him with someone else.
Perron never. And I mean never. Keeps his feet moving. I was not surprised he didn’t work out here.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:07 am

Kobasew answer: 33 games. Waived midseason. Never played another down in the NHL...

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:57 pm

Pens considering outdoor venue. Interesting

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:59 pm

There's no way that happens. The cost has to be insane, the quality of the ice would always be in question, the weather would play a huge factor, and no way other teams would be cool with it either (assuming their home rinks would be indoors).

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:28 pm

There's no way that happens. The cost has to be insane, the quality of the ice would always be in question, the weather would play a huge factor, and no way other teams would be cool with it either (assuming their home rinks would be indoors).
Outdoor games are a crappy hockey product.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:30 pm

According to Pierre McGuire he was "the runner up" to Jim Rutherford for the open Pens GM job after Shero was canned...(stated specifically he was second to Marc Bergevin for the job in Montreal)...

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:54 pm

He can have JR’s job now...

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:24 pm

According to Pierre McGuire he was "the runner up" to Jim Rutherford for the open Pens GM job after Shero was canned...(stated specifically he was second to Marc Bergevin for the job in Montreal)...
Didn’t he say the same **** when the Pens fires Edzo

Jim

Postby Jim » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:29 pm

McGuire is worse than a message board one-upper.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:09 pm

There's at least 3 or 4 other teams considering an outdoor venue as well, from what Friedman said.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:47 pm

I'll say 21.
7? I think I saw that recently

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:58 am

There's at least 3 or 4 other teams considering an outdoor venue as well, from what Friedman said.
It makes sense to consider but my guess is there's no way it's financially or logistically viable.

iamjs

Postby iamjs » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:18 am

I thought I heard six on NHLn yesterday, but there are a few different reports

Bruins, Kings, Ducks, Pens per NBC Sports: https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2020/12/03/re ... hl-season/

"Boston Bruins, Carolina Hurricanes, Dallas Stars, Los Angeles Kings, Nashville Predators and Pittsburgh Penguins are all exploring the option of playing multiple games outside this season", TSN via Pierre Lebrun: https://www.tsn.ca/nhl-teams-including- ... -1.1559551
That same article says that "Buffalo Sabres, Minnesota Wild, Tampa Bay Lightning, Washington Capitals, Philadelphia Flyers, New Jersey Devils and both the New York Islanders and Rangers are among the U.S.-based teams who answered no to the league, for a of variety reasons."

The Athletic also says that the Kings need to wait for local outdoor restrictions need to be lifted in order for the Kings to hold their games outdoors: https://theathletic.com/news/nhl-teams- ... SgXHDCqUCB (subscription required)