Postby Nuge » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:55 am

Shot blocker extraordinaire...
As was Mark Eaton
And Jay McKee

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

mikey's Thread of Penguin Randomness

Postby iamjs » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:12 am

Hornqvist has three years left. So it's +2, I guess, in your scenario...tough ask. You need a certain setup to take him, he doesn't just exist in a vacuum and score goals...

Edmonton makes some sense, especially if they had another shooter on the back line besides Klefbom...
Yea I mean, the details of the deals, yea I can’t really say. My major point is though that I think the “core” deserves another year and if it fails again, clean house. Build a team for another run in 2024-25-26 in the twilight of Sid’s career. Geno to me is the big if. His deal is still cap friendly and maybe a transition to wing is in the cards if we somehow fall into a good selection in the draft and get a good young center. I don’t see Malkin aging well in the center position. Sid yes, but not Malkin. And as much as I love him, if Geno doesn’t want to morph, well as MacGruber would say, “well, **** em”
:thumb:
You said it better than me. However, I think Letang's skill set is very hard to replace :(
This is what I've told people on FB. It's similar to the Fire Tomlin argument: if not him, then who? Is that person available?

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:13 am

Man, Jay McKee was a Pittsburgh Penguin, huh? How about that...a whole year, ya say? Hmph...

Very, very unrelated: believe it or not, dumping #1 d-men is bad for business...don't do that. They are very, very hard to find...

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:18 am

Very, very unrelated: believe it or not, dumping #1 d-men is bad for business...don't do that. They are very, very hard to find...
Yes, but he gives the puck away sometimes.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:23 am

That's true. And I have watched the other 20 #1 d-men in the league extensively, and none of the other ones do that or make any other mistakes regularly...just our guy. But still, I wouldn't dump him in the one river that you guys have out there that splits into two...

meow

Postby meow » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:27 am

That's true. And I have watched the other 20 #1 d-men in the league extensively, and none of the other ones do that or make any other mistakes regularly...just our guy. But still, I wouldn't dump him in the one river that you guys have out there that splits into two...
Yes, but they won a Cup without him

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:30 am

Yeah, nasty business that...one of the times that Hasek quit on his team in Buffalo, they won a playoff series with Steve Shields...guess they could have saved a few pennies all that time...

Blue Canary

Postby Blue Canary » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:53 am

If I’m GMJR, and I’m not clearly, but this is what I would do this year. I would tell the core (Sid, Letang, Geno, Hornquist, Guentzel) that this is last chance saloon. He will give them one more year to prove that they have what it takes for a long playoff run. And if they don’t do it, they are trading to rebuild. And that means Letang and Hornquist for sure and possibly Malkin.

I don’t buy a lot of the hockey media that the Pens need to trade one or two players as a wake up call. I don’t think the team lacks desire, I think it might lack legs and talent.

Trading the aforementioned players will bring back pieces to make another run or two before Crosby retires. I really see Crosby being Brian Trottier/Steve Y-esque at the end of his career. And I don’t see Letang or Malkin changing their games to make that happen. Crosby at 36 or 37 will be second line capable.
I could see all of this, except trading Geno and Letang (unless either or both of them demands a trade, of course).

I definitely agree with the middle statement, and I'm already fed up to here < stands on a table and raises hand > with all of the media hot takes.

Jim

Postby Jim » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:00 am

Hornqvist has three years left. So it's +2, I guess, in your scenario...tough ask. You need a certain setup to take him, he doesn't just exist in a vacuum and score goals...

Edmonton makes some sense, especially if they had another shooter on the back line besides Klefbom...
Yea I mean, the details of the deals, yea I can’t really say. My major point is though that I think the “core” deserves another year and if it fails again, clean house. Build a team for another run in 2024-25-26 in the twilight of Sid’s career. Geno to me is the big if. His deal is still cap friendly and maybe a transition to wing is in the cards if we somehow fall into a good selection in the draft and get a good young center. I don’t see Malkin aging well in the center position. Sid yes, but not Malkin. And as much as I love him, if Geno doesn’t want to morph, well as MacGruber would say, “well, **** em”
:thumb:
You said it better than me. However, I think Letang's skill set is very hard to replace :(

Then you don't replace it. You change things up and move on.

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:09 am

:scared:

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:15 am

Is he an RFA?

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:18 am

Is he an RFA?
yup

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:21 am

What do you give up for his rights? Rust? Marino? Jack Johnson? Please?

meow

Postby meow » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:22 am

Shot blocker extraordinaire...
As was Mark Eaton
And Jay McKee
Jay McKee wanted to play goalie, but his dad said no, so Jay was like, "screw you, I'll make as many saves a game as the goalie does" then he made it to the NHL.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:52 am

Dave Molinari had an interesting tidbit today: Bill Guerin mentioned the Wild would be looking for goaltending help this offseason during his end of the season press conference. The Penguins just happen to have a goalie that he's familiar with and potentially available.

Blue Canary

Postby Blue Canary » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:54 am

I know you have to give to get, but Marino? Noooooooooooooooooooo...

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:56 am

Dave Molinari had an interesting tidbit today: Bill Guerin mentioned the Wild would be looking for goaltending help this offseason during his end of the season press conference. The Penguins just happen to have a goalie that he's familiar with and potentially available.

The monkey's paw curls and the Penguins send Tristan Jarry to the Wild for the Zucker 1st and a prospect who never amounts to anything.

:twisted: :slug:

Blue Canary

Postby Blue Canary » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:58 am

Grateful for what Muzz has done for us, but I think a change of scenery could do him some good.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:19 pm

Rust and Marino would be off the table for me.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:33 pm

What do we even need Max Domi for?

Jim

Postby Jim » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:59 pm

I know you have to give to get, but Marino? Noooooooooooooooooooo...
Maybe Montreal still thinks that Pettersson is worth something.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:04 pm

We don't really any dirty players on the team anymore...maybe that...?

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:08 pm

he can replace the corpse of jared mccann - offer sheet him, let's have some fun

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:12 pm

I was looking around at the two teams and I can't really make it work...unless we're talking like McCann and #15 or something...but I don't really want to do that just to add a player to our left side, as Domi is not having an easy time playing center in this league...

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:21 pm

To antagonize opposing players?

His dad is a FOM?