mikey's Thread of Penguin Randomness

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:20 pm

We all need to calm down and get to work on how we plan to fire Johnson into the sun.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:34 pm

I was just boiling some acid on the stove...and it gave me an idea...what if we threw him in a vat of boiling acid...? And then as a good gesture, throw him a life raft - which is Matt Murray tied to some yarn...

Isn't it something how quickly things change...we had a 21 year old goalie or whatever that won two Cups - and I'm really not a guy that comes unglued and has these drastic mood changes with every shift - but I couldn't care less if he just vanished at this point...I have no confidence in him right now...and I'm all about that Jarry life...and I really think it's on merit...

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:36 pm

It is. He's better, its very clear. Murray either never flourished or they figured out how to score on him.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:42 pm

Re: Gerard Gallant

Yes.

But I really don't think Sullivan has proven that he's incompetent...I really, really, think we don't have a roster...

I'm gonna move this post over...

Let's look at the roster...

1: 34 year old Malkin, 33 year old Crosby, Guentzel
2: Zucker
2/3: Rust (2? That seems presumptuous), McCann
3: Hornqvist (33), Sheary,
3/4: Tanev, Simon, Jugs
4: Rodrigues, ZAR, Lafferty, Blugers

Prospects -
A: N/A
B/B-: Poulin, Legare
C: Hallander

1: 33 year old Letang
2: Dumo, Marino
3: Pettersson
Spare: JMFJ, Riikola, Rude

Prospects -
B: N/A
C: PoJo (?)

1: Jarry
2: Murray
Spare: CDS

I don't know man...that's not a hell of a lot...

Jim

Postby Jim » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:54 pm

How many of you people actually pay attention to anything that is going on? Anyone asking about the 1st to the Wild... honestly, have someone smack you, hard, right across th eff face.

Fair weather dip shits
Jim, the season is over. I asked my dog to slap me but she just ran to the door
Probably because she knows more about the Pens and is just embarrased for you.

Maybe either pay attention in general, or look at a few posts before asking stupid questions. Either way and you wouldn't feel attacked. But you did neither.
Honestly go **** yourself
Musta hit the nail a little close to the head...

Jim

Postby Jim » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:58 pm

I don't know how you're aware of what Gonchar, specifically, is doing...but I'd like to hear more...
Who is in charge of the D? Gonchar or Sullivan. Pick one and stop beating around the bush.
What bush are you talking about...? We just started talking.

What does it mean to be "in charge" of D in your mind...? Responsible for their deployment in-game? Their development? Their strategy? What are you talking about specifically. That's the question.
Yes. All of the above.
Those are different people. Our defense development may be the best in the league. That's a lot of Gonchar, some Martin. Deployment and strategy falls more on Sullivan. Hating how our defense - to a man - has developed under Martin/Gonchar is sure sign of senility. It's been positively brilliant. Lumping them all together in such a hamfisted way is decidedly not.

I see you're on a mission tonight, but it looks pretty easy to absorb at this point...
Yeah, I said "I have been very vocal about the coaching situation needing overhauled. Especially the head coach, but also Gonchar and Recchi, basically everyone. I was vocal about Bales being let go for Buckley and was openly mocked for it... I stand by it." But also... basically everyone... I'm not sure what you are arguing against. No one of the coaching staff has done a good job. I am not sure what you are saying has been "positively brilliant"...

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:40 pm

Re: Gerard Gallant

Yes.
But I really don't think Sullivan has proven that he's incompetent...I really, really, think we don't have a roster...

I'm gonna move this post over...

Let's look at the roster...

1: 34 year old Malkin, 33 year old Crosby, Guentzel
2: Zucker
2/3: Rust (2? That seems presumptuous), McCann
3: Hornqvist (33), Sheary,
3/4: Tanev, Simon, Jugs
4: Rodrigues, ZAR, Lafferty, Blugers

Prospects -
B/B-: Poulin, Legare
C: Hallander

1: 33 year old Letang
2: Dumo, Marino
3: Pettersson
Spare: JMFJ, Riikola, Rude

Prospects -
B: N/A
C: PoJo (?)

1: Jarry
2: Murray
Spare: CDS

I don't know man...that's not a hell of a lot...

Spoilered due to length, but I still contend that the series against Washington broke Rutherford's brain and he tried to take the roster in a direction that was at odds with what the coaching staff was looking to get out of it/what had made them successful in the 15 and 16 runs.

It will probably take a while to get us back from those decisions.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:55 pm

It sure is a bad roster. Overpays in trades/FA will do that to you. They probably need 2 more forwards somewhere between zucker and rust to be a threat next year. And the defense needs work. Maybe the petterson Marino pairing can take a big step forward

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:29 pm

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:21 pm

tbh I think our forward construction is fine. We’re weak on defense. Letang can play anywhere between a Norris candidate and me, drunk. Schultz is clearly donezo. Marino looks promising but still raw. Riikola and Petterso are lower pairing. I’m not gonna say anything about Johnson

Dumo is really the only d-man with any modicum of high level consistency

Blue Canary

Postby Blue Canary » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:53 am

Allons-y!

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:08 am

Preds, Pens, Oilers... maybe Leafs

Bad news for the league, plain and simple.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:47 am

I was just boiling some acid on the stove...and it gave me an idea...what if we threw him in a vat of boiling acid...? And then as a good gesture, throw him a life raft - which is Matt Murray tied to some yarn...

Orlando Penguin

Postby Orlando Penguin » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:59 am

Preds, Pens, Oilers... maybe Leafs

Bad news for the league, plain and simple.
Why is it bad news? They still have their East Coast strongholds plus gained New York and Chicago markets for the first round. I don’t think they win much with the Canadian markets - doesn’t register in US ratings and those hosers will watch bantam hockey if it was on TV. I’d say it’s more bad news for Canada since they may lose their two best chances at their first Cup in 27 years.

Rx6687

Postby Rx6687 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:04 am

As to what Mikey said, I certainly think Sullivan is an excellent coach, and this loss really isn't on him. However, if the players have tuned him out (for lack of a better phrase, because I hate that phrase), then they have to make changes.

The roster has holes. I think though, that they have enough speed and skill that the roster could work if they tweak a few things and add more structure. It's not 2016 anymore. The key players are older, and Murray isn't even close to what he was during those Cup runs. It's just what happens. Guys get older. The real shame was that they didn't win more Cups between 2008 an 2015.

Marino, Jarry, and Rust were the bright spots for me this season.
Petterson, McCann, and Murray were the disappointments.

They need a RH winger who can take Kessel's spot on the power play. THAT's the big one. Letang/Dumo/Marino are excellent - but they need a very good 3/4 D-man. Add to that a solid backup to Jarry. That's not a HUGE list, but this offseason will be a task, nevertheless.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:49 am

Honestly, they need a powerplay quarterback too. Letang is great for zone entry, but he's not good enough up top to get the killers moving. He doesnt get guys leaning to open up seams and he doesnt have a booming shot to keep guys honest. Usually if he let's it rip nothing happens, so they sort of just let him take a 28 footer into traffic and make sure they don't lose the guys on the half walls. And Schultz has the shot from the point but its not accurate, and he has lost all escapability and is awful lugging the puck up. And plus he's gone so...

I know Gonchars don't grow on trees and thats pretty much the bar for me, but they need someone closer to him than what they've got.

mikey

Postby mikey » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:32 am

Who is in charge of the D? Gonchar or Sullivan. Pick one and stop beating around the bush.
What bush are you talking about...? We just started talking.

What does it mean to be "in charge" of D in your mind...? Responsible for their deployment in-game? Their development? Their strategy? What are you talking about specifically. That's the question.
Yes. All of the above.
Those are different people. Our defense development may be the best in the league. That's a lot of Gonchar, some Martin. Deployment and strategy falls more on Sullivan. Hating how our defense - to a man - has developed under Martin/Gonchar is sure sign of senility. It's been positively brilliant. Lumping them all together in such a hamfisted way is decidedly not.

I see you're on a mission tonight, but it looks pretty easy to absorb at this point...
Yeah, I said "I have been very vocal about the coaching situation needing overhauled. Especially the head coach, but also Gonchar and Recchi, basically everyone. I was vocal about Bales being let go for Buckley and was openly mocked for it... I stand by it." But also... basically everyone... I'm not sure what you are arguing against. No one of the coaching staff has done a good job. I am not sure what you are saying has been "positively brilliant"...
I mean, I think you follow the league pretty well. We have acquired some d-men over the years that were on their way out of the league and we turned them right around and made them some serious money...Niskanen was the worst player in the NHL when we acquired him, Schultz was nothing, Dumo was nothing, Engelland was a minor leaguer, etc. etc.

Hell, it's a little on the nose, but even Jack somehow, after 15 straight years of doing it, stopped chasing players into their own bench and locker room on sustained attacks against...he has literally been doing that since he was in college and they made him not a complete loose cannon this year...

So, the development of the defense has been unreal...our defensive structure failed to join us in the bubble...but what we have been able to do salvaging some of these D, is really top notch league wide and in hockey circles it is recognized...

Lelldorin

Postby Lelldorin » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:01 pm

I would like that 50% chance at the overall first pick now...

Jokes aside, I am very disappointed that we lost to an AHL team with a superstar goalie.

I will take a couple of more hours to get rid of the disappointment and then write my preference for a way forward.

My first point would still be to ensure that the GM and coach is on the same page about the way forward for the identity of the team.
I hate the Bylsma/Shero situation where Shero traded for expensive players that Bylsma misused (e.g. Igilna) or didn't use at all.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:06 pm

I would like that 50% chance at the overall first pick now...

Jokes aside, I am very disappointed that we lost to an AHL team with a superstar goalie.

I will take a couple of more hours to get rid of the disappointment and then write my preference for a way forward.

My first point would still be to ensure that the GM and coach is on the same page about the way forward for the identity of the team.
I hate the Bylsma/Shero situation where Shero traded for expensive players that Bylsma misused (e.g. Igilna) or didn't use at all.
I've heard it's 12.5%

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:08 pm

Yes, 12.5%. And we either pick 1st or 15th, I think. So we're keeping the pick.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:18 pm

Yes, 12.5%. And we either pick 1st or 15th, I think. So we're keeping the pick.
You think? You should know this if you're a true fan

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:19 pm

And while the Habs, ironically, have had better reason to tank than we did, they're certainly not an AHL team.

Still should've been 3-0 Pens, 3-1 at worst,

Oh well.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:29 pm

Getting the 1st wouldn't be a bad runner-up prize.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:52 pm

Honestly, they need a powerplay quarterback too. Letang is great for zone entry, but he's not good enough up top to get the killers moving. He doesnt get guys leaning to open up seams and he doesnt have a booming shot to keep guys honest. Usually if he let's it rip nothing happens, so they sort of just let him take a 28 footer into traffic and make sure they don't lose the guys on the half walls. And Schultz has the shot from the point but its not accurate, and he has lost all escapability and is awful lugging the puck up. And plus he's gone so...

I know Gonchars don't grow on trees and thats pretty much the bar for me, but they need someone closer to him than what they've got.
It really does make you appreciate Gonchar and players of his ilk. The Pens in general have been blessed with guys on the back-end that could play the PP. just recent history. Whitney (has a mini resurgence in Edm before getting injured again), Goligoski, Schultz (prior to injury). Heck I think an argument could be made for Paul Martin as a distributer/guy that wasn’t going to give up an odd man rush back there.
Tanger just never quite settled into that role. He’s still a huge talent but just could never take on that QB role.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:56 pm

it’s 50% you ignoramuses

either we get the pick or we don’t