mikey's Thread of Penguin Randomness

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:24 pm

I just saw the game is at 4pm. Did they change this?

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:33 pm

No it was announced that it would be 4 pm on Wednesday

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:38 pm

No it was announced that it would be 4 pm on Wednesday
Missed that.

Rx6687

Postby Rx6687 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:40 pm

I'm not worried about Jarry.
Me either. I am, however, concerned about Jack Johnson. Watching replays, he has been on the ice for nearly all of the goals against. Even if Riikola can't do a whole lot better, I'm not sure how he could be worse. Maybe if he played with no stick at all?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:48 pm

I just saw the game is at 4pm. Did they change this?
All praise Faftorial. I would have totally missed the game. :thumb:

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:49 pm

This has been discussed to death at this point...it is what it is...he's out there a lot, I broke down a couple goals where it's not on him. He's not a good player, we're trying to replace him with guys that can't even get a sweater in regular season games and they're like 28 or whatever...it's tough.

Also, the poll of the week was: Who has the least body strength on the team: Sheary, Pet-Pet, or Murray and really it's kind of a state of the team deal...so Jack actually boxes out in front of the net (like he did to Kotkaniemi on goal #1 in game 3, for instance) and we don't have a lot of guys that are doing that effectively...he provides a little bit of heavy on a team that is nothing but skim milk and saltines...I'm not saying it's right, wrong, or indifferent...I'm just saying that's what it is...

I put out a suggestion of a lineup that included no Johnson, and Riikola as a swingman, I know that will be rejected...we got Jarry, the difference in the series has mostly been Murray's inability to make stops at key times and giving up just ****head ****-gobbling ****hole *******-licking goals at the worst times...hopefully Jarry delivers the goods, and Johnson resumes being unnoticeable, which he was for most of the year...

Hopefully we're coming back around to the idea that it's the roster more than the coaching...though, the latter has left me wanting a bit more in the series*...

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:51 pm

Sheary is another one that I'd like to bench if possible. I just don't know who I'd put in his place that would be better.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:51 pm

Johnson also boxes guys into the net so doesn't it kind of cancel out?

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:52 pm

Sheary is another one that I'd like to bench if possible. I just don't know who I'd put in his place that would be better.
McCann is the lay-up answer here in my opinion...

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:52 pm

yup

FistOfCaufield

Postby FistOfCaufield » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:54 pm

I don't want to be the "blame every goal on this one guy" person...

but at some point, it stops being a coincidence.

There isn't anything that I can think of in terms of advanced stats, eye test, or actual stats that support keeping JJ in the lineup. Yes he's a 3rd pairing D man and that's not going to change the world... but to me this is an easy tinker to make at this point.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:03 pm

I think it's pretty clear they hate Juuso Riikola...he's a stick boy at this point...I think Riikola is better than Ruhwedel, but not in a way that it necessarily matters (there's no real difference between the 172nd best defenseman in the league vs the 198th other than preference, sometimes handedness)...I don't see what they don't see in Riikola, I've also done literally one-tenth of one-percent of the work they've done on Riikola in terms of breaking down his game, so fair enough...they hate him.

In a three-game window, it can be a coincidence...like Anton Stralman I think is like 0:6 for ES goals in the series against the God dang Islanders...sometimes dumb **** happens...

With Johnson, it happens a lot, sure...and again, I don't mean to come to his defense here, but we have bigger problems right now...the third line, the spacing of our attack and transition game, Murray (solved)...the guy playing 13 minutes isn't a huge worry for me...

That said, you can say it's easily solvable* ...by putting in a guy that doesn't play in the NHL at all...and it may well work out, but I think if we built a stronger structure, we could hide that guy like we have all year...

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:08 pm

The "advanced" stats folks have the advantage in that they know how to manipulate data to make a scene...not shown is that Matt Murray's save pct. while Johnson is on the rink is .750. And it's too late to try to pin that on players because that crowd already stated matter of factly that individual players don't affect that stat...live by the sword...

No one has played as much time in these playoffs and gotten worse goaltending in these playoffs* than that except RNH in Edmonton. Who is actually a good defensive player.

Again, it just depends on what you're trying to prove with the data...you can do anything you want with it...the video tells the truth...he's not innocent, but this board is reacting to him like twitter responds to people not using new pronouns to refer to giraffes transitioning to deer...

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:12 pm

It’s weird. But I think our biggest problem is lack of scoring, not our defensive game. The Pens, as Mikey has repeated, attack 3 on 5 with our D for the most part just hanging around doing nothing

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:17 pm

Wait a minute. Murray only makes 3 out of 4 saves when Johnson was on the ice??

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:03 pm

That's correct. Which, even in these condensed, small sample size times, is just about the worst in the league out of all like 400 players that have stepped on the ice...no funny numbers, no minimums...just straight away...

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:06 pm

Wow. If played behind a d-man that did that to me, I'd two hand him in practice then try to doink his gf

Rx6687

Postby Rx6687 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:27 pm

You said it. With the roster having some glaring weaknesses, more structure is needed. It becomes easier to hide a guy or two on a bottom pairing or a bottom 6 forward role. You are also correct that an entire third line that is essentially useless cannot be overcome by substituting an AHL player or two in the lineup. A hot goaltender and timely scoring is what every team is searching for in the playoffs. Hopefully the team finds some degree of both.

Jim

Postby Jim » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:43 pm

I was a strong proponent of Rutherford until the last season+. I am open to him being replaced.

I have been very vocal about the coaching situation needing overhauled. Especially the head coach, but also Gonchar and Recchi, basically everyone. I was vocal about Bales being let go for Buckley and was openly mocked for it... I stand by it.

Players, the only players that I am not openly entertaining offers for are Crosby, Guentzel, Rust, Dumoulin, Marino, Poulin, Legare, Joseph.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:52 pm

Kahuna for Sheary was a really bad trade

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:53 pm

I don't know how you're aware of what Gonchar, specifically, is doing...but I'd like to hear more...

Jim

Postby Jim » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:56 pm

I don't know how you're aware of what Gonchar, specifically, is doing...but I'd like to hear more...
Who is in charge of the D? Gonchar or Sullivan. Pick one and stop beating around the bush.

Jim

Postby Jim » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:57 pm

By the way Caufield gotta go too...

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:00 pm

I'm pretty on board with Jims player list. Coaches idk. GM had a bad 24 monrhs... phil trade, the two late deadline trades, the JJ signing.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:00 pm

Is the league gonna rig the lottery and give it to one of the 5 seeds? Would be nice to get Byfield!