mikey's Thread of Penguin Randomness

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:30 pm

A generational talent pls. Only the best for our faithful Yinzer fans, kthx.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:31 pm

kasperi kapanen

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:38 pm

I probably should have specified which generation as I think we probably could still get Jagr. #JagrWatch

Lelldorin

Postby Lelldorin » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:02 pm

Phil Kessel for Elias Pettersson B)

I had intended to save this discussion for the off-season, but I hold Kessel higher than most. He has been one of the best in his position for over a decade, playing with Bozak as his center for a long time. So he can generate offense even without star players. He had 92 points last season and is a PPG player this year as well.
I would almost involve him in hall-of-fame discussions.

That said, let's try mikey's game.

I will not try to do the negotiating stuff where we go back and forth, with my first offer being more than I think I get.

I would be looking for another, younger player if possible. A Jake Guentzel would be nice. So my target would be a <25 years old player that puts up at least 20 goals and 30 assists a season.

I could add any defenseman not named Letang and Schultz go get the player I want. But Dumoulin is quite expensive.

Then again - only good teams would want to get older/better. So Vancouver is off limits.
Drouin from Montreal perhaps? I am not sure I would do Kessel <-> Drouin
Timo Meier for Sharks? Kyle Connor from Jets? Hoffman from Panthers as someone said. I know too little about them except their stats :/

Debrincat and Tkachuk would be nice, but I don't think Kessel+Dumoulin is enough :/

Lelldorin

Postby Lelldorin » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:04 pm

And if we talk draft picks I want a top-10-pick and an NHLer, such as a McCann...

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:44 pm

You do not want to trade Brian Dumoulin, mate.

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:50 pm

Kessel + parts, got a late 1st, 3rd, a good forward prospect + parts. That was 4 seasons and 200+ games ago.

Thinking we will get anything close to that value back is silly talk. The only thing people will complain more about than Kessel will be the return. I'll keep him over the mystery bag. Even in the case where all we get back is his cap space, what are we going to get at 6.8 million? We aren't getting a Guentzel because teams don't let those players walk and if they do, they get more than 7+.

This team is win now and having Kessel betters that mission than anything we would get that can contribute now.

We might find an idiot GM to overpay and come out half decent, but we should have called up Edmonton last off-season.

Lelldorin

Postby Lelldorin » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:16 pm

You do not want to trade Brian Dumoulin, mate.
If Edmonton offered McDavid, I would pull the trigger... I know it is not a video game but if someone is ready to pay much more for one of your players than he is worth (to you)...

And if we can't get anything close to what we traded Kessel for, then I can keep him. I am not in a hurry to trade him.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:27 pm

Montreal: we have been a bit disappointed in the season that Drouin has had, but to move that player two years later for a player that we aren't convinced is better than Drouin, but we are convinced is more expensive and much older. Drouin is a non-starter for us. Let's build from a base of Lekhonen, McCarron, or Hudon. If you want a young winger, we would have one to spare in this scenario. We are eager to unload Karl Alzner.

San Jose: You want our top line, 60+ point winger who is coming off his ELC? We are slow, but we're old too. Adding another old piece using an entry level piece is a non-starter. We are trying to a find money for Erik Karlsson (heard of him?)...a base around Justin Braun might make some sense, but we would need commitment from EK, and we would need to make the money work. It gets complicated from there...

Winnipeg: Given our current structure, we're not very interested. Kyle Connor is not available. We believe him to be a top line caliber player now and future.

Florida: We have our money tagged for Panarin and Bobrovsky as a package deal. Taking on term and more money isn't a move we can make right now. If Kessel came in at a number less than Hoffman, we could go there perhaps. How much of Kessel can you eat?

Lelldorin

Postby Lelldorin » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:38 pm

No surprises there. That is why Kessel probably stays for me. Unless my scouting staff is super into one of the less proven wingers.

Hoffman is the one that meshed bad with EK in Ottawa? Then I probably do not want him at all.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:57 pm

Hoff didn't. His girl beefed with them. Hoff's kind of a low-key, borderline pushover I've heard. But I don't know him...

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:08 pm

I know it is not a video game but if someone is ready to pay much more for one of your players than he is worth (to you)...

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:18 pm

If they deal Kessel, gotta hope they get a 2nd line two way player, defenseman prospect/young guy ala Peterrsson, and a 1st.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:25 pm

I will flip the tables around here a bit...

Jason Zucker is available. Minnesota could use some scoring threat. Would you do it straight across?

pens_ct

Postby pens_ct » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:14 pm

I like Zucker, but don't think he's worth 5.5 mil/season for the next 4 seasons.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:15 pm

I like Zucker, but don't think he's worth 5.5 mil/season for the next 4 seasons.
That's where I'm at. This is a great conversation.

I think you have to hope Kessel gets it together. I'm loathe to cut the cord so quickly. See what he does in the postseason.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:37 pm

I mean...we’re past the trade deadline.

offsides

Postby offsides » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:40 pm

I know plus minus can be deceiving, but....Malkin and Kessel got to get it together if we are going to make a good run.

Malkin -24 (worst on team)
Kessel -21 (second worst)
Johnson -4

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:27 pm

It's not deceiving in this case...

Jim

Postby Jim » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:20 pm

Kessel + parts, got a late 1st, 3rd, a good forward prospect + parts. That was 4 seasons and 200+ games ago.

Thinking we will get anything close to that value back is silly talk. The only thing people will complain more about than Kessel will be the return. I'll keep him over the mystery bag. Even in the case where all we get back is his cap space, what are we going to get at 6.8 million? We aren't getting a Guentzel because teams don't let those players walk and if they do, they get more than 7+.

This team is win now and having Kessel betters that mission than anything we would get that can contribute now.

We might find an idiot GM to overpay and come out half decent, but we should have called up Edmonton last off-season.

He is now a 2x Cup winner in which he played a major role, and Toronto kept $1.2M/yr.

People talk about him like he is stinking up the joint, but he is still a point a game guy, sooooo bad. And it might hurt for people to admit, but he demonstrates more hustle in the average shift than Malkin does in the average period.

It's nice when the worst thing that fans can cry about is a point a game guy, with a lower cap hit that William Nylander.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:59 am

Jason Zucker is available. Minnesota could use some scoring threat. Would you do it straight across?
Straight up, no chance. Minnie has to add, especially to bring home a boy like Phil. Zucker greases the wheel but gotta eat some of that cap and add a bit.

mikey

Postby mikey » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:12 am

Minnesota pulls back then...they want to change the culture, but they can't lose more deals than they already have recently...

Next: Calgary calls and offers...

Michael Frolik, Austin Czarnik and our choice of Rinat Valiev or Curtis Lazar
For Kessel

They also inquire about Matt Murray's availability...

Jim

Postby Jim » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:13 am

Straight up, no chance. Minnie has to add, especially to bring home a boy like Phil. Zucker greases the wheel but gotta eat some of that cap and add a bit.

Why do so many Pens fans want to make the Pens a lesser team?

mikey

Postby mikey » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:18 am

As 30 other GMs, I'm very interested in this phenomenon...

LeopardLetang

Postby LeopardLetang » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:37 am

Even with how bad kessel has been 5 v 5 his work on the power play is a huge reason why they're in a playoff position and don't have league bottom power plays like MON and CLB and even NYI. Even despite his occasional gut wrenching gaffes