mikey's Thread of Penguin Randomness

llipgh2

Postby llipgh2 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:23 pm

Still looks like he tore his knee up as opposed to breaking bones.
His foot going in the complete opposite direction made me think of a spiral fracture. Man, that had to hurt. Unless he immediately went into shock.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:25 pm

Still looks like he tore his knee up as opposed to breaking bones.
His foot going in the complete opposite direction made me think of a spiral fracture. Man, that had to hurt. Unless he immediately went into shock.
He looked out of it after they blew the whistle. Before they showed the replay I assumed he hit his head with how dazed he was.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:30 pm

Yeah he looked totally dazed. Such an odd play with the low speed of the injury.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:31 am

We've lost to Vancouver and Montreal this year...

But beat the Stanley Cup Finalists as well...

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:01 am

Sid looks to be on his coast the beginning of the year stint, much like he was last year. Also not liking that line of Brass-Sid-Jake. Brass and Sid trying to do the C work, Jake trying to do the LW work. Something is off.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:29 am

Different roles as a result of different linemates.

Crosby is a different level of superstar in that he has a long history of being stuck with incomplete or youthful linemates causing him to take on different roles. Early linemates like Andy Hilbert and Colby Armstrong were incomplete, sub-top-six talents...he had to compensate for them, even in his own youth in terms of details of the game...

Later, he is paired with less talent (compared to guys like Guerin, for instance) but more complete players, allowing him to take on a more offensive role. Chris Kunitz and Pascal Dupuis are both superior regular season defenders than Crosby and Dupuis even assumed F1 defensive responsibilities so that Crosby could play higher in the zone (a la Kurri for Gretzky).

Later still, we see Crosby regain his defensive acumen as a direct result of playing with the very green Jake Guentzel and a very incomplete player in Conor Sheary.

This year, the Penguins have replaced the incomplete Sheary with a much more versatile and much more complete player in Derick Brassard. This will allow Crosby to focus less on in-zone defense and more on transition. I thought Crosby was rather good in the NZ last night both ways...Guentzel is the long man and Brassard becomes more of the defensive conscience of the line. This opens up Crosby to use his patience and guile to get us to develop speed behind the puck to allow more clean zone entries. He's both pushing back the defense to a stationary position and also allowing the late winger(s) and the fourth man to generate speed in the other lanes to allow for more rush opportunities.

The low NZ is the runway for offensive take off. Offense doesn't begin (in this system, on this team specifically) when you cross the attack blue line...it starts really just outside the defending blue line.

Compare to other superstars of the era. Malkin almost always got better linemates (Neal, Kessel, etc.) - needed the crutch a little bit more than Crosby, good to have a veteran presence with Geno instead of a kid learning the ropes...when he was given green linemates, he typically ignored them...like the 15 games where Eric Tangradi never touched the puck on Geno's LW...Geno ignored him and used him as a decoy to carry to the left side of the ice...

Other teams: Alexander Ovechkin. Always insulated by quality centers. Never has a Conor Sheary-level center. Always Nicklas Backstrom or Evgeni Kuznetsov. Never a rookie on the other wing regardless of skill level (Burakovsky, Vrana, etc.) always a veteran with a good head for the game (MoJo, Knuble, Chris Clark, etc.). Ovechkin is not trusted to bring along those types of players because of the holes in his game...explore others: Stamkos (NZ distribution, defensive conscience), Kane (defensive responsibilities, handedness restrictions) , etc.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:54 am

So are you advocating in favor of the Brassard-Crosby-Guentzel combo? Or just stating why in theory it could/should work? Your breakdown makes a ton of sense and I would love to get Brass more ice time and open up Sid to focus more on offense, but when I think of my ideal lineup Jake-Sid-Horny is my default first line. What you're saying makes a ton of sense though. I think Brass' speed is a good addition to that line as well, but ending up with Rust-Sheahan-Hornqvist as a 3rd line is well below ideal IMO.

The Pens built this Sullivan era mini-dynasty on speed but are suddenly the fourth oldest team in the league (and not just because of Cullen; league high 8 players between 30-34) and are naturally slowing down. It could be early season disinterest, but young teams like Montreal and Vancouver have looked noticeably quicker.

The only defense pairing that looks comfortable is Dumo-Letang. I imagine Beetle gets a game here soon just to see what happens.

Also, **** the Jack Johnson signing. I was fine with the idea of signing him because this coaching staff has helped guys before, Sid's friend, wanted to be here, etc. but signing a 31 year old player who isn't a key part of your team and has performance questions to a five year contract is insanity.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:56 am

Am I just wearing yellow colored glasses since I don't see Johnson playing as poorly as some say? Legit question.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:58 am

Maybe they just need more time together but I saw on multiple occasions Brass and Sid trying to occupy the same area; down low, behind the net. To me that is where Sid does his best work, and from highlights it is where Brass seemed to be dangerous. No question mikey is much more of a student of the game than I. To be fair other than a few bursts from Phil and Geno, most of the team looks flat.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:59 am

Am I just wearing yellow colored glasses since I don't see Johnson playing as poorly as some say? Legit question.
He looks decent, then he has monumental break downs that lead to goals. The Sutter goal last night was a prime example.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:00 am

He's been fine, but five years for fine is too many.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:01 am

He is much, much worse version of Letang and he's playing like that. So you can do with that what you will...

Track touches needed per exit (should be a strong suit of his, but creates havoc with bad decisions), poor defensively in zone situations...has been our worst d-man so far early on...close with Oleksiak...

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:06 pm

At least Letang and Kessel are both off to a good start this season.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:07 pm

Yeah, I'm genuinely shocked at Letang's start. I hope he keeps it up.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:22 pm

He won't.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:22 pm

Hey, I'm trying to remain positive here in a season that has started off very poorly.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:26 pm

Letang could win the Norris and dodint would still find a way to dodint.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:54 pm

*gestures vigorously*

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:59 pm

*gestures vigorously*

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:04 pm

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Hagelin-Malkin-Kessel
Simon-Brassard-Hornqvist
Grant/Sprong-Cullen-Sheahan

Dumoulin-Letang
Maatta-Oleksiak
Johnson-Ruhwedel

Stupid lines

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:05 pm

Pens are 2-1-2. Is that really considered a "very poor" start?

crusherstasiak

Postby crusherstasiak » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:13 pm

I'm thinking this too. It's only five games. But I'm also thinking that JJ's play on that icing play (I'm sure you know the play I'm referring to) encapsulates their play over the five games. Pretty meh.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:13 pm

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:16 pm

It's the old "eye test". Arguably, they've only looked passable in the Vegas game, and even then it was clear DeSmith had to bail them out a few times.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:45 pm

Meh. It's a long season. Cant waste time worrying about **** after 5 games. They're 3 points away from the first place Carolina **** Hurricanes. Point being, a lot is going to change between now and when it's actually time to worrying.