mikey's Thread of Penguin Randomness

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:25 pm

Maturing very nicely. In that next wave of Swedish goalie prospects who are tight to their technique, fundamentally sound and tidy...Gustavsson, Soderstrom (NYI), Sandstrom (Phi)...

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:30 pm

Gustavsson Is really really good

Really good.
Fast forward 4 years. Who is in net? Who SHOULD be in net? Who is the backup?
Tough call. I’d like to think Murray and Jarry are still here and a lethal 1a/1b combo and Gustavsson is dominating whatever league he is in.

Neither Murray or Jarry would be of UFA age then, so there is little reason to jettison one

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:34 pm

Goalie GM should be (and seemingly is) adept at drafting goalies.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:37 pm

That's right. And I'll go a step further and say that Jarry is the one that wins out. Not that I think one is amazingly better than the other, but I have always been enamored with the upside of Jarry, the ceiling...I had my doubts he'd reach it, but boy he is well on his way...already one of my favorite goalies in the league...

As Jake Allen sputters a bit in St. Louis, I'm hoping that Jarry is kind of the "regen" of that...smart, plays on his toes, can skate really well, handle the puck really well, he's thinking about the next action that will help advance the game instead of stopping, dropping and blocking because there's a 48 foot wrister on the way from Nicolas Deslauriers...

meow

Postby meow » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:41 pm

That brings up an interesting point, c-dawg. Is the magic in drafting good goalies or is it in the development? If Gustavsson pans out, going 3 for 3 on quality goaltenders is a small miracle.

meow

Postby meow » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:49 pm

That's right. And I'll go a step further and say that Jarry is the one that wins out. Not that I think one is amazingly better than the other, but I have always been enamored with the upside of Jarry, the ceiling...I had my doubts he'd reach it, but boy he is well on his way...already one of my favorite goalies in the league...

As Jake Allen sputters a bit in St. Louis, I'm hoping that Jarry is kind of the "regen" of that...smart, plays on his toes, can skate really well, handle the puck really well, he's thinking about the next action that will help advance the game instead of stopping, dropping and blocking because there's a 48 foot wrister on the way from Nicolas Deslauriers...
Jarry and Allen are good comparables on a few different levels. Superior athletes that read plays well, but lack a solid fundamental foundation. Allen’s recent struggles are the downfall of that play style - long stretches of lights out play with month long bouts of letting in beach balls. Jarry has that inconsistency potential as well. If he can tidy up a few things - which he certainly can - we have a riches of spoils in the blue.

Nuge

Postby Nuge » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:50 pm

Gustavsson Is really really good

Really good.
Fast forward 4 years. Who is in net? Who SHOULD be in net? Who is the backup?
Tough call. I’d like to think Murray and Jarry are still here and a lethal 1a/1b combo and Gustavsson is dominating whatever league he is in.

Neither Murray or Jarry would be of UFA age then, so there is little reason to jettison one
Unless we get hosed in another expansion draft

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:51 pm

That brings up an interesting point, c-dawg. Is the magic in drafting good goalies or is it in the development? If Gustavsson pans out, going 3 for 3 on quality goaltenders is a small miracle.
I’m almost added the phrase “and fostering” to that. Not directly, of course, but possessing the experience and intuition to understand the necessary conditions for developing goalies. You would know better than me, but that is surely different for each one, so that requires a managerial nimbleness to set each one up to succeed through different means, handling and conditions.

I might be overselling that, but I’m in the middle of a managers handbook from the Harvard Business School and these general/abstract ideas are on my mind these days. :)

meow

Postby meow » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:01 pm

I’m almost added the phrase “and fostering” to that. Not directly, of course, but possessing the experience and intuition to understand the necessary conditions for developing goalies. You would know better than me, but that is surely different for each one, so that requires a managerial nimbleness to set each one up to succeed through different means, handling and conditions.

I might be overselling that, but I’m in the middle of a managers handbook from the Harvard Business School and these general/abstract ideas are on my mind these days. :)
A very rough outline of how to develop goalies - both in my personal experience as a player and a coach - is to first take what a goalie is already known for and build on that. So take a fundamentally sound goalie, like a Murray, and make him fundamentally flawless. Once that is done, or as done as it is going to be, you move onto weaknesses - like his hands or his reads on breakaways. That’s how you build confidence.

“Hey. You really play your angles well. That’s awesome. But look here. If you turn your glove hand like this when the play is here and you are set up like this, it takes away this much more net that you don’t even have to think about anymore.”

Then once you have 50 conversations like that, you start hitting him with, “Dude, your glove hand is weak as ****. Like, do you close your eyes when the puck comes up above your nipples?? What is going on there, dude?? Start watching the puck all the way into your glove.”

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:38 pm

Jarry is a fun goalie to watch. Not many are. But his consistency gives me the willies. This is not an informative post.

Jim

Postby Jim » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:39 am

- Current lineup makes him think third line center isn’t as necessary as general center depth.

The Jim's do not agree. We do not need more 4Cs.

- Has never contemplated trading Kessel. Jason Mackey lies within his own tangled web of lies and deceit.

Would love it if he actually said that he lied. I keep saying that a majority of the things that these writers "report" are fabrication.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:53 am

Which begs the question: what kind of chicken **** would actually believe that the Pens were shopping Kessel? He's in the group of untouchables on the team.

meow

Postby meow » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:06 am

Jarry is a fun goalie to watch. Not many are. But his consistency gives me the willies. This is not an informative post.
While this is true - very very true - let us not confuse him being more active/visually appealing in there as being the better goalie of our two keepers. That’s not the case right now.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:28 am

While this is true - very very true - let us not confuse him being more active/visually appealing in there as being the better goalie of our two keepers. That’s not the case right now.
I might be the biggest fan of marshmallow men here. Murray is fine by me.

meow

Postby meow » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:33 am

My comment was directed toward the unwashed (see shower thread) masses and not really directed toward you.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:42 am

*sniff*

columbia

Postby columbia » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:01 am

The Caps game is not until tomorrow?

This schedule sucks...

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:17 am

It's all over the place. They play tomorrow and Saturday, then Tuesday and Friday. Later this month, they have back-to-backs on the 17th/18th and on the 23rd/24th, so that's basically another bye week. Same in the middle of March. I don't know how the players feel about those 4-day breaks, but as a fan it sucks.

meow

Postby meow » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:44 am

Well they did play 37 games in October, so the schedule never made sense

llipgh2

Postby llipgh2 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:51 am

He's 22 and still has some things to learn. Guessing that's why the Pens opted to send him back down instead of DeSmith. To let him continue to develop.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:23 pm

Re: The schedule, I'm not sure why it's so difficult to have some modicum of consistency throughout the season. I would imagine that the players enjoy getting 3 day breaks here and there. Tuesday-Thursday-Saturday every week would be great for me.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:24 pm

So all NHL teams play Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday...? Or just us because we're special...?

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:32 pm

huh?

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:55 pm

So all NHL teams play Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday...? Or just us because we're special...?
Well, during the NHL season, most teams do play T-Th, no? Any given week, you will see 3-4 games each on Monday and Wednesday. But T-Th-Sat carry the bulk of the games.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:08 pm

That's right enough, but four games is a quarter of the league...putting everyone on the same schedule is a lot to ask and poor for exposure..plus teams have special requests on what night to play at home, shared buildings, TV/logistical stuff...plus the monotony of an already too-long schedule...