mikey's Thread of Penguin Randomness

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:17 pm

Also, per Twitter: Rowney (hand) had full contact today. Tomorrow's lineup will be predicated upon his availability -SK

columbia

Postby columbia » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:17 pm

Mel.Brooks

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:24 pm

Also, per Twitter: Rowney (hand) had full contact today. Tomorrow's lineup will be predicated upon his availability -SK
How bout he goes back to WBS where he belongs.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:08 pm

i don't understand a post like this. our bottom 6 hasn't been good enough, but rowney did well in the playoffs last year. i'm not sure where the vitriol comes from.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:20 pm

i don't understand a post like this. our bottom 6 hasn't been good enough, but rowney did well in the playoffs last year. i'm not sure where the vitriol comes from.
There's no vitriol. He's fine as a depth/replacement player. Don't use Malkin's injury as an excuse to get Rowney back in the lineup when this team can't score worth ****.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:25 pm

He's a better scorer than Reaves :pop:

Jim

Postby Jim » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:57 pm

Maybe they can bring Sprong up so that he can look out of place, not create anything offensively, and make Kessel look like a Selke finalist... then people can stop bringing him up.

... or he will do well...

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:03 pm

There's no vitriol. He's fine as a depth/replacement player. Don't use Malkin's injury as an excuse to get Rowney back in the lineup when this team can't score worth ****.
Fwiw, I wasn’t advocating Rowney replacing Malkin in the lineup.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:09 pm

Can he replace Letang?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:11 pm

Heh. Letang has been better defensively lately, but now I’m getting frustrated with his reluctance to shoot from the point. I know that most of his shots hit ankles, but he has passed up on some open lanes.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:42 pm

He's also passed it into other players' ankles with increased frequency as well.

the wicked child

Postby the wicked child » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:36 am

@dodint says he's going to the game... An hour later, we hear Malkin has an upper body injury. Complete coincidence I am sure.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:37 am

I told the friend I'm going with that about half the games I've been to have been without Malkin in the lineup, including the ones in other cities. WEIRD.

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:43 pm

I've only seen them once in the Crosby era and miraculously, both he and Geno were in the lineup.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:25 am

Brian Trottier (wearing an Adidas Pens jersey with the sticker still on it) in the Thanksgiving Day Parade on a float with Wyclef Jean flanked by dancers wearing puck costumes may be my favorite thing to happen today.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:37 am

Brian Trottier (wearing an Adidas Pens jersey with the sticker still on it) in the Thanksgiving Day Parade on a float with Wyclef Jean flanked by dancers wearing puck costumes may be my favorite thing to happen today.
Haha, came in here to mention this. Trottier seems like a really fun guy

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:01 pm

Haha, came in here to mention this. Trottier seems like a really fun guy

Trots always came in to the bank I used to work at. Pretty cool guy.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:06 am

Sprong has been ice cold after his hot start. I don't see him being called up anytime soon.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:12 am

I don't know if his recent cold streak will impact his chances of being called-up. I think he is a typical goal scorer that scores in bunches and the team brass is probably not concerned. His call-up will probably happen if a top-six winger goes down for a bit. Even if that happens, I could easily seem him staying down all year.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:26 pm

Not to mention, it wasn't the offense they cared about. They want him to be more defensively responsible....has that improved at all?

Jim

Postby Jim » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:35 pm

Not to mention, it wasn't the offense they cared about. They want him to be more defensively responsible....has that improved at all?

He did fall 30 spots at the draft... people saw something wrong with him quite late in the draft game.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:51 pm

This is not something I would have said years ago, but here goes...I don't really want him spending a lot of time on defense...get to something remotely useful, just the ability to cover the points in a semi-reliably fashion and that's it...be a gamebreaker. You're not gonna be Hossa...you're not even gonna be Semin...get too good at one thing and we'll overcome the fault...we do it for Phil, we do it for Guentzel, we do it for Sheary...just get really good, and we'll figure it out defensively...

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:46 pm

This is not something I would have said years ago, but here goes...I don't really want him spending a lot of time on defense...get to something remotely useful, just the ability to cover the points in a semi-reliably fashion and that's it...be a gamebreaker. You're not gonna be Hossa...you're not even gonna be Semin...get too good at one thing and we'll overcome the fault...we do it for Phil, we do it for Guentzel, we do it for Sheary...just get really good, and we'll figure it out defensively...
I get what you're saying. The kid is good at scoring goals, and has a nice shot. His best bet at this point is to sell out for that skill set

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:56 pm

Random read, but Mackey said that Cole's benching seems strange given he's one of the better of the core. Right at the end, Mackey alluded to protecting Cole to trade him for scoring depth given he's an FA at the end of the year.

I guess I see how he could be traded, but I see our defensive becoming even weaker giving him up.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:01 pm

How many defensively deficient wingers can a team realistically cover up? 75% of top-4 wingers has been a strain.