mikey's Thread of Penguin Randomness

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:26 am

What no Ryan Graves does to a team.
Maybe his concussion will be like Hossa's allergy...

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:43 am

Crosby nominated for Masterton

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:49 am

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:58 am

We have 31 goals from d-men (not that they're the only ones that can shoot from the point)...Letang definitely has an empty net goal, I think Karlsson does too...

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:01 am

I would very much like to not see Graves suit up again. Not saying we’re necessarily better without him because it’s not that cut and dry but it feels like there’s less mistakes on the defensive end now

Unfortunately I feel like his trade value is close to 0 so not sure wtf we do with that contract

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:08 am

"Close to 0"

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:09 am

do you disagree? why or why not?

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:13 am

PO has been better than I've seen him be anyway. St ivany actually looks useful. Shea scares me every time he's out there

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:14 am

PO has been better than I've seen him be anyway. St ivany actually looks useful. Shea scares me every time he's out there
Yea shea is very iffy. I’d like Ludvig back there when he’s healthy

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:14 am

do you disagree? why or why not?
I think its actually less than zero. So potentially still close to zero but on the other side of zero

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:14 am

That contract has negative trade value. It's huge term attached to a bad player.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:24 am

My guess is he’s bought out after next year

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:30 am

There’s something we are missing with Ryan Graves. Dubas, a clearly intelligent person gave him that outlandish contract. But prior to that, Joe Sakic, also a pretty smart guy gave him a 3 year, 9.5 million dollar contract

He’s fooling people into giving him these contracts because he’s big and has a “big” shot. I don’t get it

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:40 am

Scouting isn't easy...

Also, at last check, he has positive "advanced" stats...this guy, Jared McCann, etc. those are guys that nerds sign and then when games matter, they're rubbing their necks and staring at their shoes muttering, "I don't know what happened...he had a good WAR percentile...matrix........glavin..."

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:10 pm

Scouting isn't easy...

Also, at last check, he has positive "advanced" stats...this guy, Jared McCann, etc. those are guys that nerds sign and then when games matter, they're rubbing their necks and staring at their shoes muttering, "I don't know what happened...he had a good WAR percentile...matrix........glavin..."
This might be dumb, but, I just don’t see professional scouting being nearly as difficult as amateur. You see what these guys do against other NHLers. Maybe fit is something you can miss, sort of like how Reilly Smith hasn’t fit. But Graves just stinks. Everyone should see that

LeopardLetang

Postby LeopardLetang » Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:22 pm

There’s something we are missing with Ryan Graves. Dubas, a clearly intelligent person gave him that outlandish contract. But prior to that, Joe Sakic, also a pretty smart guy gave him a 3 year, 9.5 million dollar contract

He’s fooling people into giving him these contracts because he’s big and has a “big” shot. I don’t get it
And blocks shots

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:41 pm

Scouting isn't easy...

This might be dumb, but, I just don’t see professional scouting being nearly as difficult as amateur. You see what these guys do against other NHLers. Maybe fit is something you can miss, sort of like how Reilly Smith hasn’t fit. But Graves just stinks. Everyone should see that
In theory, it should be. But there's also a chance to have more voices - more unqualified voices, even - because it's NHL guys, so everyone knows who they are...at least when I'm in a rink in Sioux City and file my report, the only way anyone else on my team is going to look at that guy is if I say this is an "A" or a "B" player.

But, like we see at trade deadlines...folks get desperate (Erat for Forsberg)...and some people just get suckered in (P.A. Parenteau and Matt Moulson getting big tickets after Tavares dragged their useless asses up to mediocrity; Erik Gudbranson played for like five teams on a recent three year deal or whatever)...also, to be fair, not every player follows a linear path...(Joel Armia used to grind, he used to play in the house...he got 14 sheets and basically quiet quit)

Which doesn't excuse Graves by any means...that's an unforced error that was obvious to me from the word "go" and it seems like it was pretty obvious to most, and it's really obvious now. It's a little interesting to me that they don't have a mechanism to weaponize his shot at all...if I *had* to play that cat, I'd treat him like Marc-Andre Bergeron was treated back in the day.

"You are a cannon. Just do cannon things. When you can't be a cannon, you come sit down."

I guess that, and penalty killing...I haven't hated his PK work because it's a more controlled environment and there's less rush absorption involved...he's free to make snow angels like he likes to do...etc.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:10 pm

Scouting isn't easy...

I guess that, and penalty killing...I haven't hated his PK work because it's a more controlled environment and there's less rush absorption involved...he's free to make snow angels like he likes to do...etc.
Not to defend Graves here…but the laying on the ice PK work seems to be Reirden instruction.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:17 pm

Yeah, I think that's a factor too...that guy ****** stinks...

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:18 pm

maybe Reirden wanted Graves

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:19 pm

who wanted Rierden?

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:33 pm

Rutherford, right?

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:50 pm

The best I hope for from Graves, is that he has a Paul Martin esque rebound and plays to *some* value of his contract.

meecrofilm

Postby meecrofilm » Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:02 pm

So big games coming up against Tampa/Toronto. Does Ned play both and Jarry gets Detroit?
Probably look at the recent career #'s maybe? I'd agree with those saying one of Tampa or Toronto makes the most sense for Jarrs, I feel like he usually performs against TB.

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:05 pm

Sid is the Pens Masterton Trophy nominee. Honestly, looking at the definition, he fits it to a T.

I know it usually goes to someone that has gone through a hardship and came back, but the guy deserves it IMO.