mikey's Thread of Penguin Randomness

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:38 am

$20 for parking seems optimistic unless you’re planning on a decent walk across town.
We’ve parked at Duquesne the last few games and walked down and it was $30 there. There are a few shady lots along 5th you can get for $20 it it’s a pita to get in and out. Duquesne garage was our go to this year.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:38 am

I don’t know, he’s essentially had a complete roster turnover since 2021-22. The only guys that remain are Jarry, Pettersson, Carter (ugh), Sid Geno and Letang. Outside of Carter and maybe Geno, none of those guys need replacing.

In some instances, it’s trash out and new trash in, but there’s also been an influx of skilled players who have underachieved under Sullivan.

I just don’t see where he gets the benefit of the doubt anymore. This team has underachieved to a degree every year post the Caps playoff loss. That’s a big problem

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:47 am

we’ve fired coaches for less than missing the playoffs and he’s going to miss it two years in a row

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:50 am

we’ve fired coaches for less than missing the playoffs and he’s going to miss it two years in a row
And to add to that: we were embarrassed by the isles in 2019-20, then had the gross performance in the bubble, then another isles loss (although a better performance), then blowing the rangers 3-1 lead, then miss playoffs, miss playoffs

Again, he’s a good coach and will likely succeed somewhere else. But the aforementioned history shows that it’s done here in my opinion

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:52 am

$20 for parking seems optimistic unless you’re planning on a decent walk across town.
We’ve parked at Duquesne the last few games and walked down and it was $30 there. There are a few shady lots along 5th you can get for $20 it it’s a pita to get in and out. Duquesne garage was our go to this year.
Those tiny little private surface lots? Yeah those are a no go for me. We always use the Duquesne garage on Forbes also. Last year it was $20. Greedy bastards.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:54 am

Those tiny little private surface lots? Yeah those are a no go for me. We always use the Duquesne garage on Forbes also. Last year it was $20. Greedy bastards.
Yeah the surface lots. There used to be one that you could sneak out a back way and go through an alley and beat traffic to the parkway, but they closed it off, so now there is no reason to risk parking in those things. Yeah Duquesne was $30 all 3 games we went to this year.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:55 am

Now, if we get some serious roster turnover...then, well, your voice really can't wear out with a new, excited team...but that's not exactly the most realistic thing in the world.

But if we end up with a new, competent roster (within reason) next year and we're really bad and disinterested through the first 20 or 25 games, then you probably want to start looking harder at the coach.
I'm not sure how much roster turnover we can really expect to see. UFAs are carter, ned, shea, and Harkins. RFAs are joseph, puustinen, and bemstrom. Nobody of any real consequence.

They've got roughly $13M for a backup goalie, 2 defensemen and 2 forwards. So were talking depth pieces.... sure you might improve the bottom of your roster, it'd be hard not to, but it's not going to make much of an impact. The way to make an impact would be to improve the top of your roster and push talent down.

That's a tall order, even if they move contracts like R Smith.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:58 am

Keep on losing and maybe we get lucky and get Celebrini

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:00 am

Yeah, roster turnover but through a different lens...adding guys like Karlsson - who aren't really super coachable at this point in their careers - isn't the thing that usually will extend a coach's shelf life in this situation...it's younger and hungrier players, they tend to be more coachable, they tend to perk up an older roster...

We took a chance and tried to add some more veterans and that's clearly not the workable solution for this...so, now we know...

And also, "the lol get over it" thing is very easy to say...but it's not based in reality. This is as combative with the media as we've seen Crosby in his whole career, right? Including that time where it looked like he was smuggling plums in his face and they asked, "Do you have measles?" and he said, "No, this is Big League Chew"...

It's 17 years of blood, sweat, and tears and watching it crash down around you...it's the end of a long, happy marriage and you're the person that's still loving it and doesn't want it to end...so, we can pretend to look at this like it's a video game and it's all fake and it's all ones and zeroes...but it's not. I understand why this is going down the way it is...I don't like it, I wish that there was a switch left to flip, and so do they...but that's just not the reality of the situation.

But, just like when you're on the wrong side of a marriage that ends, you go out there and find some young, hungry, p......person...and see where that goes. And then once that phase where's out, your d*** is sliding right into retirement age anyway...so, it just kind of works itself out...

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:02 am

Too binary. That view is how organizations crumble. You need folks that can read the process, not read the newspaper...

Which isn't to say that Sullivan should be here forever...but this line of reasoning is a zero or damn close to it...

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:03 am

To tag on to your young hungry players, are there any of the top picks outside of Celebrini in this years draft that are NHL ready? Getting a young talented player that might be deficient in some areas but causes some enthusiasm in the locker room might be a good start

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:09 am

I have to do some homework on that. Maybe Demidov. I don't think I'd put Celebrini in the NHL next year to be honest...I'd go the Matty Beniers route with him if that team can be a little patient. Not that he couldn't play because he's a very mature prospect, I just think I'd try to be over-ripe with him to ensure I get all the offense I can. I'd actually even consider kinda doing the Auston Matthews thing and loaning him to a pro team in Switzerland or something.

Cole Eiserman is a weird case...like, he already has NHL caliber goal scoring ability, but virtually nothing else to his game. And I don't think he's intelligent enough to add anything else to his game with more development time (reasonably)...so, by that logic, you could try to stuff him into an NHL suit. It'll ruin any chance he has of being more than like, Geoff Courtnall, I don't know, but if you're here for a fun time and a long time, go for it...

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:15 am

Ugh, so that seems like a no then.

Dubas really has his hands full this offseason

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:27 am

Too binary. That view is how organizations crumble. You need folks that can read the process, not read the newspaper...

Which isn't to say that Sullivan should be here forever...but this line of reasoning is a zero or damn close to it...
I agree which is why I’m in software engineering lol

but what process have you seen in the last couple seasons that have given you confidence that Sully is right for the job still? a franchise worst power play?

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:28 am

I think we have to prepare ourselves that next season, if not the next two seasons ....at least are going to be pretty painful.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:36 am

I agree which is why I’m in software engineering lol

but what process have you seen in the last couple seasons that have given you confidence that Sully is right for the job still? a franchise worst power play?
I've mentioned a number of times that I see the adaptability to his game, he makes - ahem - "adjustments" (a nice buzzword), he's good with young players and understands prospect development (he just doesn't get any, but when he does...) - but that's pretty surface level, I'm not in the room...so that's what I'm saying, is that you need people that can read the process - hopefully Dubas is that guy, and I think he probably is - and make an informed decision...

You don't need a Cleveland Browns situation where a guy just grabs the Sunday paper and scans the NFL standings and goes, "hmmm...6 wins...we should have more than that..." FIRED.

So that's what I'm saying...Sullivan isn't immune. But just going, "well, I wanted to win this game and we didn't, so we should fire him" is bunk...

I also think that Reirden is a real drag...he just seems like a drinking buddy...

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:45 pm

Sullivan made rust, sheary, and now probably Drew O'Connor into good NHL players

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:48 pm

Also Guentzel. Had him a year and a half-ish before getting promoted to the NHL HC job

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:06 pm

I thought Dubas said something interesting that I don't recall if it was talked about here.

Kyle Dubas: "We've gotten more assets now to get involved in conversations that we couldn't get involved with when it comes to trades for younger players. That was our goal here exiting the deadline."

I'll be interested to see if that means trading for younger players or at least building a new pipeline to promote and trade for established NHL talent.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:03 pm

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:08 pm

I'm glad when they put A Thread at the bottom. Saves me the time of clicking.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:11 pm

Or, you could just watch all the goals on YouTube instead.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:13 pm

This is a confusing photo.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:07 pm

Sid should have a box to stand on.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:15 am

That's my Mount Rushmore right there. No need for a fourth.