meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

mikey's Thread of Penguin Randomness

Postby meow » Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:14 pm

Best I can do is tree fiddy

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:25 pm

What's the most each could get via free agency?

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:53 pm

By rule or by "highest a team could remotely reasonably pay"...?

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:01 pm

"highest a team could remotely reasonably pay".

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:12 pm

I don't think Malkin could do better than $9.25 mil per. I don't think Letang could do better than $11 mil.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:03 pm

Mikey, draft question:

Are you pretty high on Miroshnichenko despite the Hodgkins diagnosis? Seems like the type of player that could drop to the Pens who could have been a top 10, maybe top 5

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:31 pm

Miroshnichenko - Sharifijanov - Radivojevic

stonewizard51
Location: Doing little things to irritate wifey without pi$$ing her off.

Postby stonewizard51 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:04 pm

Gesundheit

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:06 pm

Any term that has Letang on the Pens payroll at 40 is not 'reasonable'.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:38 pm

Mikey, draft question:

Are you pretty high on Miroshnichenko despite the Hodgkins diagnosis? Seems like the type of player that could drop to the Pens who could have been a top 10, maybe top 5
This is an excellent question. I don't think he was ever a top 5 guy, I could buy that maybe he would have been or still is a top 10 guy. The tough part is - obviously the disease, seems like he's ok - but he played in the VHL this year (Russia's AHL basically) and he was really so bad for most of the year. A lot of young players don't do well in that league and then they also generally don't get a lot of minutes in the KHL...so you see guys drafted in the first round that have 27 games and a 0+1=1 stat line and go "what the hell is that?" He did fine for a child in a pro league, but he didn't look that great. He's not going to go back to juniors, ya figure, and his game too unstructured for the KHL to give him a lot of time right now, I assume...and here's the real stopper, the CHL Import Draft is banning Russians and Belarussians, evidently because they're all war criminals - ya know, the 17 year olds that just want to play hockey. Literal sports terrorists. So you can't even sign him and drop him in Quebec to play with the Remparts or Sarnia to play with the Sting. I think he's signed to 2024 with his club, it might be an option year though as that last year, it's always hard to get good info out of there...

Anyway, the player himself is a powerful skater with an unreal shot. One of the fastest releases in the class. Unfortunately, like most young players that can shoot, he becomes a little over-reliant on it and can pass up better playmaking opportunities in exchange for long wrist shots. He's definitely a talent, he's definitely a goal scorer. But his game is really immature compared to some of his peers. Maybe his hockey sense is only average or slightly above. I don't know, Russia wasn't my territory, so I only know him a little bit...but he seemed fairly one-dimensional in my viewings. The dimension is one of the five (3? 1?) best shots in the draft, so that's not nothing...I assume he goes around our pick, I just wonder what we're doing at center in three years...

I think maybe drafting Miroshnichenko is like drafting an athletic WR in the first round...great idea, if that's what you need to get you over the top. But I'm not sure if that's what our position is re: the draft is right now. I think we need to pursue some strong talents that we're a little bit more sure that they'll play...which is an easy and, overall, pointless thing to say...that's what we all want. But there's a fine line between with this homerun shot and a guy who's floor is a little higher, but with still a very high projectable ceiling. Someone that you can trust will absorb the game well in these conditions. You have guys around that know the game - Sid, Guentzel, etc. you want to make sure there's a player out there with enough hockey sense to maximize who he is gonna be around...

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:39 pm

Malkin related: Let's watch the **** storm on social media about Malkin being a jerk that wants too much money. It tells me our chances of keeping him are very low...

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:13 am

You'd think we, as a franchise, would've learned our lesson with how the Jagr thing was handled WRT keeping someone who has given so much to the franchise.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:21 am

Raivis Ansons is a Memorial Cup champion.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:33 am

Mikey, draft question:

This is an excellent question. I don't think he was ever a top 5 guy, I could buy that maybe he would have been or still is a top 10 guy. The tough part is - obviously the disease, seems like he's ok - but he played in the VHL this year (Russia's AHL basically) and he was really so bad for most of the year. A lot of young players don't do well in that league and then they also generally don't get a lot of minutes in the KHL...so you see guys drafted in the first round that have 27 games and a 0+1=1 stat line and go "what the hell is that?" He did fine for a child in a pro league, but he didn't look that great. He's not going to go back to juniors, ya figure, and his game too unstructured for the KHL to give him a lot of time right now, I assume...and here's the real stopper, the CHL Import Draft is banning Russians and Belarussians, evidently because they're all war criminals - ya know, the 17 year olds that just want to play hockey. Literal sports terrorists. So you can't even sign him and drop him in Quebec to play with the Remparts or Sarnia to play with the Sting. I think he's signed to 2024 with his club, it might be an option year though as that last year, it's always hard to get good info out of there...

Anyway, the player himself is a powerful skater with an unreal shot. One of the fastest releases in the class. Unfortunately, like most young players that can shoot, he becomes a little over-reliant on it and can pass up better playmaking opportunities in exchange for long wrist shots. He's definitely a talent, he's definitely a goal scorer. But his game is really immature compared to some of his peers. Maybe his hockey sense is only average or slightly above. I don't know, Russia wasn't my territory, so I only know him a little bit...but he seemed fairly one-dimensional in my viewings. The dimension is one of the five (3? 1?) best shots in the draft, so that's not nothing...I assume he goes around our pick, I just wonder what we're doing at center in three years...

I think maybe drafting Miroshnichenko is like drafting an athletic WR in the first round...great idea, if that's what you need to get you over the top. But I'm not sure if that's what our position is re: the draft is right now. I think we need to pursue some strong talents that we're a little bit more sure that they'll play...which is an easy and, overall, pointless thing to say...that's what we all want. But there's a fine line between with this homerun shot and a guy who's floor is a little higher, but with still a very high projectable ceiling. Someone that you can trust will absorb the game well in these conditions. You have guys around that know the game - Sid, Guentzel, etc. you want to make sure there's a player out there with enough hockey sense to maximize who he is gonna be around...
Thanks Mikey.

Seems like there’s a possibility dude drops into the second round

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:26 am

Draft the best player available, regardless of position

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:36 am

Please.

stonewizard51
Location: Doing little things to irritate wifey without pi$$ing her off.

Postby stonewizard51 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:32 am

Draft the best player available, regardless of position
Exactly

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:31 am

For sure, but there's a little caveat about that too...there's a hell of a lot more guys that played center in junior that failed down to wingers than there are wingers that became centers. So, if there's a tie, it goes to the center. Again, that's irrelevant probably, as I don't think we're going in this direction...

Allvin is gone, maybe a little less Swedish influence? I don't know how that will go...Hextall wasn't really allowed to go to Russia when he was with Philly, but maybe that was also part of his choice...we'll see, it's a strong Euro year, and they haven't done well in the USHL -> NCAA routes in the last couple...they might feel scared, it's a heinous USHL class anyhow...

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:11 pm

God. What are we going to do without Allvin’s Scandinavian lottery tickets that never workout.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:26 pm

Our drafting is really frustrating and, worse, very unimaginative...I need to be our U.S. guy soon because we're taking a lot of suckers bets...

And then the Euros - man, if you're gonna go deep into these leagues, at least draft guys that have talent...I think that's a fair ask. I'm not saying I'd go 7 for 7. But, I should look back at my lists - which do NOT contain more than 1 to 3 territories, generally, so I'm at a huge disadvantage...but let me see where we'd be with our picks if I was in charge, that'll be a fun exercise for me...

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:35 pm

It’s definitely been some weird, uninspiring **** over the last decade and then before that was Rejean’s obsession with defensemen. Passing on Forsberg is still unconscionable.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:31 pm

lol the top ten that year was pretty ridiculous and we ended up with Pouliout. lol.

Jesus mid round.

1 16 Washington Tom Wilson R Plymouth Whalers [OHL] 647 115 158 273 1221 2021-22
1 17 San Jose Tomas Hertl C Slavia Praha HC [Czech] 585 181 206 387 192 2021-22
1 18 Chicago Teuvo Teravainen L Jokerit Helsinki [SM-liiga] 526 118 251 369 100 2021-22
1 19 Tampa Bay Andrei Vasilevskiy

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:45 pm

Man. One Teravainen please

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:51 pm

I remember being infuriated that we took pouliot over forsberg and trouba. Maatta was good value but Pouliot was a reach at the time and proved to be more than just a reach