Meow's Morning Meeting - 3-29-15 vs. SJ

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:24 am

The first star of the should have gone to the entire defensive corps. Great effort from a shorthanded group. Four players over 25:00 TOI. Ian Cole for Robert Bortuzzo. Let that sink in. Ian Cole for Robert Bortuzzo. Wow. The second star of the game should have gone to the penalty killers. Big kills at pivotal times in the game. Fleury with the third star. Beau Bennett is so far in the dog house, I'm not sure he can see daylight. Hornqvist is the straw that stirs the drink. The work ethic is infectious (kind of like the mumps).

Some side notes: The Pens continue to get killed in the faceoff dot. It's tough to say how much of a problem this will be come post-season. Lapierre annihilated the Sharks (13-1) and no one else could climb over 44%. In HCMJ's puck possession system, starting with the puck is probably a good idea. The wingers do not help out much.
I wouldn't get too excited about the powerplay yet. Those through-the-box passes just happened to work against the Sharks last night when they usually end up at the other end of the rink.
Last edited by meow on Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:30 am

Another game where we were perky and well-intentioned...got backed up a bit in the 2nd, but did well in the later stages...Crosby was on point once more...we disrupted the cycle game pretty well with some nice form tackling...the defense took the body, it felt like, more in this game down a man than they normally do...we seemed to patrol both net-fronts with tenacity...

And that four-minute kill in OT was momentous...a) it was a big moment for the Pens and gave them a chance at a second point. b) in my fantasy playoffs, the only thing that could have made me lose was a Patrick Marleau power play goal. Great kill, Winnik and the boys getting it done with old fashioned elbow grease in that one...

Kicksave

Postby Kicksave » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:34 am

Source of the post Ian Cole for Robert Bortuzzo. Let that sink in. Ian Cole for Robert Bortuzzo. Wow.
I didn't mind Bortuzzo for what he was. With a healthy defense corps, he's riding pine. Being able to land Ian Cole for him was amazing. This guy has top-4 potential.

the errey i breathe

Postby the errey i breathe » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:36 am

Cole has been pretty solid and had a good game last night. That OT pk was huge. Hornqvist is fun to watch, always has his motor running.

FreeCandy44

Postby FreeCandy44 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:58 am

They need to let Jeff Jimmerson sing the anthem, when he doesnt you can hear every single dumb comment from the fans.

Let Jeff sing...

llipgh2

Postby llipgh2 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:14 am

They need to let Jeff Jimmerson sing the anthem, when he doesnt you can hear every single dumb comment from the fans.

Let Jeff sing...
Jeff is the one who started the sing along nonsense. I don't think the Pens are preventing him from singing it.

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:15 am

Let Jeff sing...
Jeff is the one who started the sing along nonsense. I don't think the Pens are preventing him from singing it.
This. He does it on his own.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:28 am

I stopped watching after the first, but we dominated in it.

Faubert5
Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - no fan of the Predators

Postby Faubert5 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:47 am

How big a headache does Brian Engblom have today? Sid said he could hear it hit his head.

He was a hockey player so naturally he finished the game.

I'm glad that the boys won against a Shark team with really good power play talent. Trending up.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:49 am

San Jose seems too talented to miss out on the post season. What a miserable season for them.

large garlic

Postby large garlic » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:04 am

I went to the game last night, so I have detailed thoughts than normal...

--The game really is slowed down by all of the subtle interference. It seemed like it was very rare that someone was actually able to get up to skating full speed. Every time players are close to one another, there's little bump, a little stick around the waist, a free hand on the arm, etc.
--I don't think that the Pens necessarily do more or less of this than other teams, but the Pens are less intelligent about it. The refs, for the most part, aren't calling anything unless they're forced to (although I thought the Lovejoy penalty in the 2nd was strange given other similar incidents they let go), and other teams are good about just doing enough to impede a player and then releasing before the ref feels obligated to call something. I thought the penalties to Crosby and Spaling last night were indicative of this. If Crosby hooks the guy going the other way a little around the waist and then releases, he probably slows the guy down and doesn't get called, but instead, he gets his stick in the guy's skates, completely trips him up, and the ref has to call it.
--Hornqvist is a really important guy for this team. His work ethic, willingness to shoot, and willingness to get to the front of the net are sometimes in short supply on this team, and they are infectious.
--Cole is looking pretty good. He might not match Despres' peaks, but he also doesn't have his valleys either. If we pretend the Pens traded Despres for Cole, then the Pens might come out ahead on that one.
--Crosby is looking good too. He was the most dynamic player on the ice last night, though that was muted by the aforementioned general slowness of the game. I get the sense that if a team switches off and plays a bit looser (or if by some miracle the NHL cracks down on interference in the playoffs), he could blow up and start up putting up points like we've been accustomed to with him.
--Kunitz just seems done to me, despite the goal. He was slow mentally and weak physically. Malkin is going to need one of Perron or Hornqvist at some point.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:18 am

Yeah that OT PK was unbelievable.

Malkimania

Postby Malkimania » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:24 am

-Hornvquist is becoming one of my favorite players. I love the way he plays and he is battling constantly.
- Bortuzzo for Cole trade was great.
- Crosby is starting to play much better and will most likely win another art ross. Maybe even get 90 points?
-With the way Winnik is playing with Crosby I think Mike Johnston will be forced to move Perron with Geno or maybe even Sutter ( probably not Sutter).
Last edited by Malkimania on Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:26 am

what was the penalty in the OT? a double minor for a high stick?

killing a 4 minute PP sounds awesome though. pissed that I missed it

thehockeyguru

Postby thehockeyguru » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:03 pm

The first star of the should have gone to the entire defensive corps. Great effort from a shorthanded group. Four players over 25:00 TOI. Ian Cole for Robert Bortuzzo. Let that sink in. Ian Cole for Robert Bortuzzo. Wow. The second star of the game should have gone to the penalty killers. Big kills at pivotal times in the game. Fleury with the third star. Beau Bennett is so far in the dog house, I'm not sure he can see daylight. Hornqvist is the straw that stirs the drink. The work ethic is infectious (kind of like the mumps).

Some side notes: The Pens continue to get killed in the faceoff dot. It's tough to say how much of a problem this will be come post-season. Lapierre annihilated the Sharks (13-1) and no one else could climb over 44%. In HCMJ's puck possession system, starting with the puck is probably a good idea. The wingers do not help out much.
I wouldn't get too excited about the powerplay yet. Those through-the-box passes just happened to work against the Sharks last night when they usually end up at the other end of the rink.
I like the PP a lot better without Letang

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:04 pm

Yeah, Hornqvist was trying to win a puck battle out at our blueline. He had to double back on Brent Burns, went for a stick lift from the outside in on him and shaved his beard clean off...of course, by the time the camera had seen his face again, he had grown back another, fuller beard, but still...Hornqvist apologized profusely, as he's an honest player...

thehockeyguru

Postby thehockeyguru » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:06 pm

-Hornvquist is becoming one of my favorite players. I love the way he plays and he is battling constantly.
- Bortuzzo for Cole trade was great.
- Crosby is starting to play much better and will most likely win another art ross. Maybe even get 90 points?
-With the way Winnik is playing with Crosby I think Mike Johnston will be forced to move Perron with Geno or maybe even Sutter ( probably not Sutter).
I agree. Hornqvist is what Kunitz was 4 years ago. He will go to the front of the net and can finish. I like the dynamic Winnik has provided. Winnik is an above average passer and is good in the corners.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:12 pm

I agree. Hornqvist is what Kunitz was 4 years ago.
Yeah it's nice to see him get to those dirty areas.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:16 pm

I like the PP a lot better without Letang
It is a different dynamic, that's for sure. More...deliberate...? He definitely slows the entire thing down once they get it in and set up.

Clams Herbert

Postby Clams Herbert » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:19 pm

I really think that game could be a huge turning point for this team. They just battled so hard, moreso than we've seen in at least a month.

Orlando Penguin

Postby Orlando Penguin » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:21 pm

Hornqvist got tied up with Burns at the blue line by the Sharks bench and tried to lift his stick and instead got Burns's face. He knew he did it and to his credit, he stayed with Burns and apologized before he got sent to the box. Burns got the razor blades out and Horny got 4 minutes.

Avyran

Postby Avyran » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:26 pm

Prolonged highlights. I like this guy's editing, as he shows the buildup to goals & such as well as the following analysis, not just the shot alone. Much better than the official highlights.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:41 pm

I really think that game could be a huge turning point for this team. They just battled so hard, moreso than we've seen in at least a month.
i remember when we thought this about the LAK game

thehockeyguru

Postby thehockeyguru » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:15 pm

i remember when we thought this about the LAK game
Exactly. Remember we played a western conference team. I would have felt a lot better if we played this way against an Eastern Conference playoff team.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:23 pm

Yep. No reason to think positively at all. Let's just resign to lose ASAP so we can get on with the off season.

Look, I understand that we've felt like this before, and recently, but come on guys. With this team what else do we have left to do than hope for a miracle?