Kypreos/Maclean-Malkin playing his last games as a Penguin

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:20 pm

HockeyBuzz (I know, I know) saying there are rumors of Malkin (doesn't think happen every year?) and Fleury being traded in the offseason. I take it with a microscopic grain of salt.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:21 pm

I hear Sid and Mario are not seeing eye to eye.

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:24 pm

If Dustin Brown is a buyout, this fan would be interested.

@Morkle

Tico Rick

Postby Tico Rick » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:34 pm

DK wrote the other day that there's no way that Geno will be traded, and he insinuated that he was told this directly by ownership.

I don't think Fleury will be moved unless he requests a trade. GMJR loves to have depth in goal.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:38 pm

I agree, I just don't see any possibility of them trading Geno. Even Fleury, for that matter. We need at least one transition year for Murray, and even then, unless the cap ceiling drops, I could see them hanging onto him for the remainder of his contract (unless he explicitly asks to be traded).

meecrofilm

Postby meecrofilm » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:43 pm

AFAIK, Fleury needs to automatically be protected for the expansion draft due to his limited NTC (the clause prohibits him from being drafted in that it forces him to be protected). So, he's obviously going to be moved before the draft next year. Question is when: do you hang on to him for this season and move him for presumably peanuts next offseason, or do you move him this summer where the return will likely be better, and look for a back-up either in the trade or on the FA market?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:45 pm

I don't want Zatkoff as a backup, so if we have to move Fleury, I wait until after the 16-17 season.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:45 pm

Or do you strike a deal with Vegas to not draft Matt Murray?

large garlic

Postby large garlic » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:51 pm

Yeah, there's no way they trade Malkin unless somebody absurdly overpays for him.

Fleury, though, I don't know. I'd prefer they hang onto Fleury for a bit, as I felt Murray was kind of shaky the last two series and at least needs time to work on his weaknesses without the weight of being THE GUY, but there are reasons to think that won't work out.You've got potential cap issues, the question of Fleury's desire to spend the last years of his prime as a backup potentially, and the problem of protecting players in the expansion draft.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:55 pm

I don't think Murray is ready to start 60+ games next season. For me, Fleury is starting 50+ games next year while Murray spends the majority of his time learning how to use his glove, hug his post, move post to post, and learn how to use his size effectively. Whatever happens to Fleury after next season, so be it.

Clams Herbert

Postby Clams Herbert » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:56 pm

Moving Fleury now is "good asset management." Murray is most likely going to be a stud...but a whole year's workload could crush him next season. Keeping Fleury to split games and mentor him is worth the loss in assets I think. Take the hit on the return to know better what you have in Murray.

I think the odd man out this offseason is Kunitz. He'll get moved for cap space on a defenseman and because he probably can't do this speedy system as well with his age. It'll be interesting to see if they decide to sign Bennett, because your top 6 next season could have any mix of him, Sprong, Rust and Sheary.

As far as Malkin goes, I said it before; if a team like Colorado offers something like Duchene and Barrie, you gotta think hard on it. You wouldn't miss much of a step with Duchene, and his speed could be a killer in this system. Plus you fill another hole in the backend with Barrie who would probably do pretty well here.

Sorry, I love talking "what if's" on this stuff.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:58 pm

Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, and Letang are guys who I just can't imagine playing on another team.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:10 pm

If Dustin Brown is a buyout, this fan would be interested.

@Morkle
I think he'd be a great 4th liner now. I'd give him a vet minimum to come wreck kneecaps.

The U

Postby The U » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:14 pm

There is absolutely no reason to trade Malkin. The team doesn't have any salary cap problems. They just won the Cup with this group and can take another run next year. We won the Cup with our depth and 3 scoring lines. Take Malkin off the team and we are a 2 line team again. He's (usually) key to our PP. I just don't see any positive at all coming from a Malkin trade. Lose a Superstar, a game changer, a key piece of the team....for what? I don't think you can make a case for moving him. To free up money we don't need? To make the team worse? To make the team easier to defend?

I don't have a problem trading Fleury. You can make a case here. Save money, good asset management in terms of moving an expendable piece and getting assets in return, move him before Vegas take him, etc.... I worry about Murray over an entire season of course but he just won a Cup for us that offers some level of comfort going forward, no? Find a veteran goalie that can be a backup and share some time with Murray in net for 1/3 or 1/4 of Fleury's price tag.

large garlic

Postby large garlic » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:24 pm

As far as Malkin goes, I said it before; if a team like Colorado offers something like Duchene and Barrie, you gotta think hard on it. You wouldn't miss much of a step with Duchene, and his speed could be a killer in this system. Plus you fill another hole in the backend with Barrie who would probably do pretty well here.
Hah...that was pretty much the absurd overpayment I had in mind. I was thinking MacKinnon and Barrie, but same idea.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:25 pm

If that's all we got for Geno, GMJR would be drug out into the street and shot.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:34 pm

My asking price for Malkin would be much higher than that, personally.

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:38 pm

5 number 1 picks for the next five trade deadlines. ;)

NO GO ON TRADING MALKIN!

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:50 pm

That is a really steep price, particularly MacKinnon and Barrie...I mean, assuming Barrie comes with a contract...that's a big deal...I can't imagine the Avs would consider MacKinnon for Malkin straight across...

Yet again, they played Nick Holden for a lot of minutes for what feels like forever now...so maybe personnel moves aren't their deal...

Clams Herbert

Postby Clams Herbert » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:40 pm

That is a really steep price, particularly MacKinnon and Barrie...I mean, assuming Barrie comes with a contract...that's a big deal...I can't imagine the Avs would consider MacKinnon for Malkin straight across...

Yet again, they played Nick Holden for a lot of minutes for what feels like forever now...so maybe personnel moves aren't their deal...
Yeah, anyone saying Duchene and Barrie is an underpayment for Geno is a bit off on the player evaluation. Duchene is a 1C on pretty much any team and Avs fans are pissed he's even being shopped. He's a complete stud.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:51 pm

Duchene is nowhere near the elite level that Malkin is.

Clams Herbert

Postby Clams Herbert » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:51 pm

Obviously. Still a top center. If you can fill a few roles and get a little wiggle room ya gotta at least consider it.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:40 am

No, I dont. There are interchangable parts that can give you wiggle room if you wanted some, and Geno's role is already filled, with Geno.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:47 pm

Congrats to all of you for enduring nearly a decade of this. Two cups are a nice reward.

https://twitter.com/theduckmanz/status/ ... 1608754176

columbia

Postby columbia » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:54 pm