OFFICIAL GDT PENS @ TBL GAME 6

Faubert5
Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - no fan of the Predators

Postby Faubert5 » Wed May 25, 2016 2:50 pm

I firmly believe that if everyone's first exposure to hockey was a live game, they'd be hooked for life. Gerrit clearly is aboard the hype train :)
When I moved to Nashville years ago there were almost no other hockey fans around. When discussing it with friends who grew up in the South I explained to them that seeing it live would get them hooked. When the Preds came to town most of them that went to games became hooked.

Faubert5
Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - no fan of the Predators

Postby Faubert5 » Wed May 25, 2016 2:55 pm

They dominated 2/3 of game six. They may have evened the scoring in the third period, but someone clearly turned off the turbo mode that the team had in the first 40 minutes.
I don't think they slowed down much in the 3rd. I feel it was more that Tampa pushed hard and were giving all they had. They had a burst of energy and intensity and the Pens were a notch lower.
The Bolts get paid too and they went to the Finals last year. It's hard to dominate a really good team for 60 minutes especially when they are playing all out.

Dan H

Postby Dan H » Wed May 25, 2016 2:58 pm

The puck-over-glass rule has to be binary for it to exist. The whole point of it is to eliminate discretion in the call, because how often was that called in the past? A team might have been hit with a delay penalty maybe - what - twice a year for intentionally clearing the glass? When you and I and anyone that has ever watched (or certainly played) hockey before this rule knew that probably 90% of the time it was done it was deliberate.
You could alter the conditions so it's still black-and-white, though. For example, it might be only a penalty if the goalie does it. Or it might only be a penalty if the puck leaves the rink on the defensive side of the center line. If you feel the latter involves too much judgment, remember there's already judgment in whether a puck has been "shot or batted" as opposed to deflected or stick-saved.

Blue Canary

Postby Blue Canary » Wed May 25, 2016 3:19 pm

LET'S GO, PENS! Business is booming!

https://twitter.com/AntonioBrown84/stat ... 5430965248

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed May 25, 2016 3:30 pm

Pierre is 100% more likable when being interviewed on Da Fan than he is during a game.
Combining Regis and Da Fan. Ouch. Really doubling down there. Bold strategy.

llipgh2

Postby llipgh2 » Wed May 25, 2016 3:40 pm

I firmly believe that if everyone's first exposure to hockey was a live game, they'd be hooked for life. Gerrit clearly is aboard the hype train :)
He was at playoff games last season (when he could make it, obviously). I think 2.

And the Pirates have been guests of the Pens. He's one of the few players that actually appeared to be watching the game. So I think it's more than bandwagon for him.

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed May 25, 2016 3:44 pm

He'll be a Kings fan by the end of the decade.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed May 25, 2016 4:14 pm

The puck-over-glass rule has to be binary for it to exist. The whole point of it is to eliminate discretion in the call, because how often was that called in the past? A team might have been hit with a delay penalty maybe - what - twice a year for intentionally clearing the glass? When you and I and anyone that has ever watched (or certainly played) hockey before this rule knew that probably 90% of the time it was done it was deliberate.
You could alter the conditions so it's still black-and-white, though. For example, it might be only a penalty if the goalie does it. Or it might only be a penalty if the puck leaves the rink on the defensive side of the center line. If you feel the latter involves too much judgment, remember there's already judgment in whether a puck has been "shot or batted" as opposed to deflected or stick-saved.
it should be treated like icing - no line change afterwards. this is objectively the only legitimate way to handle it.

it's supremely lame they haven't addressed this yet. i guess we need a game 7 OT in the cup finals with a 5-3 as a result of this "penalty" to make that happen.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed May 25, 2016 4:21 pm

I would be in favor of treating it as an icing unless obviously intentional...that's a harsh foul for nothing much at all...

I mean, there is some scuttlebutt about considering going back to full 2:00 power plays (i.e. treating them like a major), you could imagine shooting a puck 200 feet over the glass at the other end of the rink, completely unmolested, being worth all that...? Bleh...

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed May 25, 2016 4:24 pm

I would be in favor of treating it as an icing unless obviously intentional...
what difference does it make if it's intentional? honest question.

is it significantly more difficult to ice the puck than it is to hit it out of play?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed May 25, 2016 4:56 pm

I feel like I might be in the minority, but I like the automatic delay of game penalty.

Waffles
Location: REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Postby Waffles » Wed May 25, 2016 4:59 pm

I feel like I might be in the minority, but I like the automatic delay of game penalty.
I think people who don't like it might have selective memories -- from what I remember, pre-lockout games were riddled with intentionally playing the puck over the glass just to get a stoppage.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed May 25, 2016 5:08 pm

Exactly, which is why I like the penalty. It was pretty bad for a few years in the heyday of clutch-and-grab.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Wed May 25, 2016 5:10 pm

Anyone have a clip of the puck launch in question? Missed last night's game on TV for a work event but followed on my phone.

relantel

Postby relantel » Wed May 25, 2016 5:25 pm

Exactly, which is why I like the penalty. It was pretty bad for a few years in the heyday of clutch-and-grab.
It's still clutch and grab!

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed May 25, 2016 6:21 pm

This is nothing like as bad as it was in the late 90s. This is still watchable.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed May 25, 2016 6:24 pm

Anyone have a clip of the puck launch in question? Missed last night's game on TV for a work event but followed on my phone.
This is a full game video, but I have it cued up to just before the clear.

http://youtu.be/yUcA_mmKENk?t=32m56s

It's hoot-tacular.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed May 25, 2016 6:30 pm

I would be in favor of treating it as an icing unless obviously intentional...
what difference does it make if it's intentional? honest question.

is it significantly more difficult to ice the puck than it is to hit it out of play?
I think an intentional stoppage of play to relieve pressure against, including throwing the puck over the glass, covering the puck with your glove, smothering the puck with your body, knocking the net off, removing the goalie mask, etc. all have the ability to be called for delay of game, as they all result in a stoppage of action that is likely against you. So I am fine with penalizing that.

It's probably easier to throw it out of the rink, safer too. That puck has to go up to get out. Pucks above shoulder height can't be touched by a stick. Can't score from up there. Icing attempts are more likely to result in a turnover because you need to get out but you can't risk chucking it over the glass...

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Wed May 25, 2016 8:56 pm

This is a full game video, but I have it cued up to just before the clear.

http://youtu.be/yUcA_mmKENk?t=32m56s

It's hoot-tacular.
Wow.

As much as you guys hyped it, it was worse!

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed May 25, 2016 9:56 pm

Suter for MIN had one not too long ago that was worse. I think he was on his goal line. :lol:

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu May 26, 2016 10:43 am

Doughty did it from his own end line I think in the 2014 playoffs, if memory serves...which it might not on such a nothing play...

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu May 26, 2016 10:45 am

I'm with you :thumb:

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu May 26, 2016 10:47 am

Cooke had one while he was here as well.

relantel

Postby relantel » Thu May 26, 2016 5:22 pm

Cooke had one while he was here as well.
Cooke's led directly to a goal as the Pens couldn't kill it... back in December 2010

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_d ... nhl-300014

Was released from the bottom of the right circle, just 8 seconds into a PK. So nearly identical scenario except it was regular season.