Meow's Morning Meeting - 3-28-15 vs. ARI

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:42 am

Morning Yinz. I'm mobile so this is going to be short. Had the usual storyline yesterday: Pens are working hard, throwing tons of shots on net, opposing goalie plays out of his league. Finally, Pens were able to convert and few from the house. Arizona has some good pieces, but are a train wreck defensively right now. Doan is a jerk. Comeau is an idiot. Griess made saves at key times. The power play had a pulse. Sid was dominant. Cole could handle some more minutes.

X's and O's: tough to dive into this too far when the opponent is that poor defensively. The speed through the neutral zone was good. Power play entry was still sub par - really missing a puck lugger - Pouliot could probably do it. Too many pp guys standing still at the entry blue line.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:50 am

-Winnik and Downie getting in the mix, which is heartening. A lack of secondary scoring will spell doom for them in the playoffs
-Sutter taking some abuse for the greater good. Again, you have to be able to sacrifice the body
-Crosby looked good. Really hoping he continues on an upward arc
-That Cole trade is looking pretty damn good

Robot B9

Postby Robot B9 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:36 am

Whereas I still don't think Downie is topline material, he's effective material and continues to play biggest when the team needs him. Probably has the most heart that produces results.

Now if we could only get Geno and Sid to do that...

...which is still baffling because Sid is league leader in points and Geno is in the mix...

Guinness

Postby Guinness » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:44 am

I'm feeling a little blue... mostly because I've been holding my breath since Letang went into the boards. Hoping he's going to be okay. That look on his face was... ugh.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:39 am

Don't have any issue with the Doan hit. It was a one in a hundred thing for letang to land in the exact wrong way. I don't want that hit to be illegal.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:43 am

Also, I found it irritating that Crosby gets that dirty PP goal by parking in his rightful spot on the goal line, and follows it up with that lazy bulls*** where he ruins everything by standing still on the right boards with the puck.

I guess it was a total accident that he was down low on that play.

Guinness

Postby Guinness » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:22 am

Don't have any issue with the Doan hit. It was a one in a hundred thing for letang to land in the exact wrong way. I don't want that hit to be illegal.
I was REALLY surprised that Puck Daddy did. It seems PGH gets so little sympathy in the media, I guess I'll take it. To me, it was a gray-area hit.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:50 am

It wasn't "puck daddy"...it was one of his stooges

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:55 am

The hit was fine, it was just extremely unlucky.

Avyran

Postby Avyran » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:48 pm

Only reason I have a problem with the Doan hit is the same reason that Netwolf does:
Kris Letang is concussed again on a senseless, meaningless hit.
Was it malicious, dangerous, or in need of extra punishment? Nah. However, it was an unnecessary hit that does not need to be in the game. It's not like a hit in center ice, where one person has his head down & the other smashes him to get him off the puck. It was Letang floating the puck into center ice and Doan hitting him after the puck was gone. The hit was to apparently "slow down" Letang - or, you know, you could just skate back earlier instead of skating at him to slow him down. It doesn't need to be in the game, IMO. It's officially interference, and calling the penalty by the book all year would've made Doan much more hesitant to make that play, thus not causing that injury. ("If ifs and buts...") Lots of injuries anymore seem to be from those unnecessary hits. It's the sort of play that negates skill/athleticism & helps bring about parity.

I've said my peace & won't push the subject. As for the rest of the game:

Another good outing. Pens were snakebit in the first two periods, though they admittedly did not make Smith make any incredible saves (despite his embellishment of most glove saves). Winnik & Crosby continued to impress, though Downie was the #1 star for me (he was #2 in reality, behind Crosby). I fully expected the Pens to collapse after the Letang hit & the first goal, but they didn't. That makes me happy. Downie's playing himself into a consistent top 6 role, IMO. Greiss was good enough, & had absolutely no chance on the second goal. Also really liked Cole's game, though I still don't fully trust him with the puck. Kunitz played pretty well, but continued to be polar opposites with the puck (Malkin tried to forcefeed him a pass on a 2-on-1 to get the goal). Hornqvist's presence was immediate.

Comeau's hit was dumb, but not malicious or ridiculous. Just a bad hit that drew blood, thus also drawing the major. He's still playing fine, albeit he does tend to give up the puck more than I'd hope. Pouliot's starting to go through the growing pains of being a rookie that Maatta did at the end of last year.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:19 pm

If that hit was meaningless and senseless, so are 90% of other hits.
Exceptions like yesterday shouldn't influence anything. That's the sort of thinking that gets us the ridiculous spectacle of no touch icing.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:53 pm

The only redeeming thing about Shane Doan is that he wasted away in PHX. I'm so glad he isn't on a good team, nothing but a scumbag.

Solidsnake

Postby Solidsnake » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:54 pm

The only redeeming thing about Shane Doan as that he's wasted away in PHX. I'm so glad he isn't on a good team, nothing but a scumbag.
I'm glad that Shero didn't sell the farm in order to get him a few years ago

MR25

Postby MR25 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:27 pm

If that hit was meaningless and senseless, so are 90% of other hits.
Exceptions like yesterday shouldn't influence anything. That's the sort of thinking that gets us the ridiculous spectacle of no touch icing.
Devil's advocate:

Bortuzzo game 2 games for his hit to Jagr. At the time, the NHL said it was a "late, violent hit", even though it wasn't too long after Jagr let go of the puck.

The Doan hit, to me, looked to be later than that Bortuzzo hit. How exactly doesn't it warrant some sort of supplemental discipline, if the Bortuzzo suspension was primarily because the NHL deemed it to be late?

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:57 pm

Yeah well the bortuzzo was a minor penalty at worst, same as this.

If Doan wasn't famous and letang was a beloved icon, I'd expect a similar ruling from the league here.