This has a much different feel

Defence21

Postby Defence21 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:51 am

I'm sure this has been discussed quite a bit, both in the regular season and over the last week, but this team has a much different feel than the teams of the past five or six years. Sullivan has the fellas playing between the whistles and for the most part avoiding the scrums that often got them in trouble in the past. This team is calm and confident, but not cocky. It's quite refreshing.

But it goes much beyond this. This team is getting contributions from everyone, as evidenced by 14 of the 20 players who have dressed having at least one point in the series. Sheary, Fehr, Cullen, Kuhnhackl each have a goal. Hornqvist has 4 goals. And Crosby and Malkin each have six points.

While some may say that the team goes the way the stars go, and there is a strong case to argue there, given that Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, and Hornqvist are leading the way. But I'd argue that this team's success is bred through its depth. Without having threats up and down the lineup, would the stars have the room to shine? We've seen the results for years, and I think the answer is clear: no.

My passion for the Penguins disappeared under Johnston, not because the team was unsuccessful, but because he stripped the fun out of watching them play. Sullivan has made it fun for me again, and my passion has returned. I'm as excited and optimistic as I have been in years for a long playoff run!

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:30 am

Rare D21 sighting... :thumb:

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:36 am

Source of the post While some may say that the team goes the way the stars go, and there is a strong case to argue there, given that Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, and Hornqvist are leading the way. But I'd argue that this team's success is bred through its depth.
I was watching last night and thinking how great it is that pressure, and thus points, are coming from all four lines. There is no glaring sore thumb to wish we could fix, it's all coming together. Even the rookie goaltender. Lots of fun right now.

Algernon

Postby Algernon » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:43 am

Just looked at the old rosters.... 2013, 2010, 2014...

Those teams' bottom 6 all sucked compared to this one'should.

This one has a weaker d Corp than Paul Martin and Michalek tho

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:45 am

Just looked at the old rosters.... 2013, 2010, 2014...

Those teams' bottom 6 all sucked compared to this one'should.

This one has a weaker d Corp than Paul Martin and Michalek tho
When Crosby went down and was doing a snow angel to defend the 2 on 1, it made me think of Michalek.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:50 pm

i will to continue to blame everything on craig adams.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:07 pm

For whatever reason I decided to look up Craig Adams' wiki page. This is a complete paragraph from that page:
In the 2004-05 he signed for the Italian team Milano Vipers during the NHL lock-out. There he won the Italian League.
:lol:

That's better than two Stanley Cups, I reckon.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:11 pm

For whatever reason I decided to look up Craig Adams' wiki page. This is a complete paragraph from that page:
In the 2004-05 he signed for the Italian team Milano Vipers during the NHL lock-out. There he won the Italian League.

Italian hockey and Italian fans are meaningless. :slug:

:pop:

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:17 pm

Is the prize for the the Italian championship the Rita Cup? You know, Italian Ice?

I'll show myself out...

Pavement

Postby Pavement » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:18 pm

The contribution from the young guys had been tremendous. The past few seasons have brought few positives from WBS and its just great to see guys from the system contributing. From Rusts' desire and tenacity to Shearys speed and skill, it's been a genuine joy to watch these guys.

I was planning on doing a "what's your favourite moment of the season" type thread and this woild have been mine. Didn't want to create that thread and jinx the playoffs through!

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:25 pm

The contribution from the young guys had been tremendous. The past few seasons have brought few positives from WBS and its just great to see guys from the system contributing. From Rusts' desire and tenacity to Shearys speed and skill, it's been a genuine joy to watch these guys.

I was planning on doing a "what's your favourite moment of the season" type thread and this woild have been mine. Didn't want to create that thread and jinx the playoffs through!
It's amazing what the second half of this season has done to the belief that the Penguins are devoid of youthful depth. Sheary, Kuhn, Rust, Wilson, and Sundqvist have all been impressive,Simon didn't look out of place in his brief stint, and Sprong had two goals last night in his AHL debut. A perceived weakness has become a massive strength in four months.

Pavement

Postby Pavement » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:28 pm

It's amazing what the second half of this season has done to the belief that the Penguins are devoid of youthful depth. Sheary, Kuhn, Rust, Wilson, and Sundqvist have all been impressive,Simon didn't look out of place in his brief stint, and Sprong had two goals last night in his AHL debut. A perceived weakness has become a massive strength in four months.
:fist: bodes well for the future.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:31 pm

Also makes Bennett increasingly irrelevant. :?

Pavement

Postby Pavement » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:36 pm

Also makes Bennett increasingly irrelevant. :?
That is a shame and I feel bad for the guy. I was hoping he was going to be able to stay healthy and contribute, but that's looking less likely unfortunately.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:45 pm

Best he can hope for is to become Gary Roberts personal slave over the summer and try to earn a spot again. Have to figure Kunitz will be gone in the next couple years and a top six winger will be needed.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:55 pm

Best he can hope for is to become Gary Roberts personal slave over the summer and try to earn a spot again. Have to figure Kunitz will be gone in the next couple years and a top six winger will be needed.
Stop.

He'll be a Flyer or Blue Jacket or some other awful team with no bottom-6.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:00 pm

I feel bad for Beauner as well. Seems like a good dude and definitely has the talent, but his durability would be better served in Pro Beach Hockey. GMJR touched on it at the end of last season during his airing of grievances, but it's amazing to pull up Beau's profile on HockeyDB and see a grand total of 44 games played for WBS. Can't help but think it wasn't enough.

Training with Gary Roberts would kill Beau. He would turn into a pile of shattered bones. It's just his lot in life. Like when that weight rack in the Czech Republic became self aware and tried to murder Marty Straka.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:05 pm

Italian hockey and Italian fans are meaningless. :slug:

:pop:
Reported

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:11 pm

Slappy... please stop reporting posts that make fun of Mexico East.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:11 pm

Sick burn. :lol:

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:28 pm

Triggering complete.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:29 pm

Lolol good times

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:13 pm

Oh snap

IMFC

Postby IMFC » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:41 am

I entirely love this team. Only one question remains for me:

Do they have the killer instinct. Can they put a big fat gd nail in this gutless rag coffin.

Do it Pens. Just take it. Ain't nothing but a thing.

IMFC

Postby IMFC » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:04 pm

That's what I wanted. Loved every minute of it.