Anyone have transcript of that HCMS interview?

Algernon

Postby Algernon » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:35 pm

I **** hate puck daddy with a burning passion and can't stand listening to him or I'd just listen to the podcast

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:05 am

I **** hate puck daddy with a burning passion and can't stand listening to him or I'd just listen to the podcast
Jeff Marek is the worst person in podcasting. Wysh isn't awful in that medium.

IanMoran

Postby IanMoran » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:42 am

I actually love that podcast. To each their own though. I decided to take notes on what was said during the interview for you. Paraphrased, and unedited (just typed this as I listened and haven't even read it over), but I think I got everything.

G: Congrats on the run

M: Ty, working hard, its been fun

J: 2 games over weekend, saw 2 different Pens teams.. Clogging it up against the Flyers, then flying vs. Caps. When Pens were at height of powers, could play anyway you wanted.. Seems like getting back to that

M: I've preached we have to generate offense in different ways. Have guys with good instincts, need to just get out of their way sometimes.. But also need to get offense through generating it in various ways. Teams that have success have to defend and be hard to play against. Seems like over the last months our guys have bought into the play away from the puck, made a difference

G: Seem like a much faster team, how much is system change.. how much is change in players

M: Mixture.. playing how we want, added guys that fit our identity well. Our competitive advantage is our speed. Tried to simplify the game so we can play a little bit faster through neutral zone, but its more of a mindset of playing a fast, North / South game

J: Seems like you feel comfortable with guys leaving the zone earlier to generate speed

M: We give our guys the latitude to stretch the ice, 1 of the aspects of our game that allows us to play fast. We give parameters on how to stretch the ice, and who can stretch the ice.. Its a calculated game, but if we can fly 1 player to open up the ice and attack with possession and speed, it makes us more dangerous off the rush.

G: I think you keep winning besides losing Malkin, because this roster is just so use to losing big name guys, they don't sweat it.

M: I'm sure there is truth to that, learn through these experiences... Starts with leadership, starts with Sidney, trickles down from that. No one is looking for excuses. Losing geno is difficult, but we have capable people and presents opportunities for others. Guys embrace the challenge, enthusiastic group, nice mix of youth / vet, everyone is playing hard. Its been a pleasure to coach this group, really fun

J: Seemed like before Crosby wasn't getting the puck when he wanted it all the time, did you tell guys to just give Crosby the puck when he wants it.

M: Can't speak on what happened before I got here. All I can say is since I've been here, I've seen a Crosby that's emotionally invested in the game. I think he's at the best when he's all-in like that, I know from coaching against him. I think that's the start of the turnaround. He works so hard, he's all-in, he's determined to lead this team, deserves credit.

G: Where were the heads at when you came in

M: When a coaching change is made, usually a result of expectations aren't met. Difficult circumstances, no one wants to see their coach get fired. Everyone has respect for how hard coaches / players work, when firings happen, burden of responsibility can weigh on players. When I took over, I decided how I can impact the team the most was to change focus to just getting better every day, every practice, every game. If we can get focus to that and the details of hockey and not dwelling on the circumstances surrounding the team, then I think we have a chance to turn this team around. That was our approach, it took us a little while, but I think we are on the right track. Last few weeks we've been pretty consistent.

J: From talking to your players, it seems the 1 thing that changed was practices. Purpose, structured, expectations on what to day.. What are you trying to achieve with practice?

M: Want to practice fast. If want to play fast, need to train fast. Practices are with tempo, not much down time. Toughest part was when I took over, had 6 games in 9 nights.. not a lot of practice time to change how we played. Now that I've been here a few months and have established practice habits and defined objectives, its settled in. I think our guys have benefited from the pace of the practice, and the tempo has translated to the games.

G: Thoughts on jerseys of Team USA hockey jerseys for World Cup.

M: I like them, but I'm not picky. I like the color / logo. No matter what design, it will work because of the colors and logo.

G: Did you have impact on team selections, when do you have to start preparing.

M: Haven't done anything at all really, had 1 or 2 talks with Torts, but I know we have a great management team who is qualified to select a team. Haven't done anything to prepare to be a coach yet.

J: Behind the bench you are calm and focused, but when you see Oshie get 3 or 4 cheap-shots on Crosby, what goes through your mind.

M: Its part of the game. Can't get deterred from playing our game, regardless of tactics other teams take to get us off our game. Every team has different identities, some will try to bang us.. we can't get caught up into that, and need to be disciplined and just play our game. That gives us the best chance to win. Last night I was proud of our guys on how hard they played and how they kept their focus. Washington was getting physical, our response was through our speed and the game in-between the whistles. Not getting distracted was the biggest takeaway for me. I think its a great learning experience, provides more evidence that if we keep our foucs, we have a good chance to win.

J: Update on Dumoulin.

M: Day to day

G/ J: Life is so much better when the Penguins are good

M: Thank you

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:48 am

Hey, an IanMoran sighting.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:51 am

Jeff Marek is Skip Bayless pretending not to be Skip Bayless.

IanMoran

Postby IanMoran » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:05 pm

Hey, an IanMoran sighting.
Haha, I'm like a solar eclipse. Pretty rare, and usually disappointing

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:21 pm

As someone else that won't listen to those guys, thanks for posting that transcript. Awesome stuff.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:26 pm

Thanks, IM.

columbia

Postby columbia » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:29 pm

Good combo of a thinker and a leader.

IanMoran

Postby IanMoran » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:35 pm

No problem, glad some people read it.

Yea, I thought he came across well in the interview. Mentioning the balance of structure with speed, and giving certain players specific objectives and such. I don't know, he doesn't come across as "Torts, Jr", which I once feared.

You probably can't tell from the write-up, but via their tones Wysh / Marek tried to lighten up the interview a couple times. The way they brought up the jerseys, just giving the puck to Sid, etc was in a light / fun fashion. HCMS responded to everything in a very serious manner / killed any chance of that every time, which I found funny for some reason.