OFFICIAL GDT CAPS @ PENS 3/20/2016

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:13 pm

bonino on the PP probably made a lot of sense in coaches meetings. but it has to be squashed. he's not up for it. it happens. next applicant, please.

fun game, though. orpik ramming a non-pens goalie for once was beautiful.

the ovi hit was fine, but the rest of those dopes stole some of his roids this weekend. what crawled up weber's ass? even though this was another game of us getting wedgies, we came out and pushed back a little for the first time i can remember. i haven't enjoyed watching this team this much in years.

FistOfCaufield

Postby FistOfCaufield » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:23 pm

Anyone going to ask the question how Dumo got hurt?

Ovy led with his knee and made direct contact with it on the side of Dumo's knee.

Happens all the time with Ovechkin... every guy he hurts is a knee injury. He knew what he was doing, he's not stupid.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:25 pm

Ovy led with his knee and made direct contact with it on the side of Dumo's knee.

Happens all the time with Ovechkin... every guy he hurts is a knee injury. He knew what he was doing, he's not stupid.
There's the gonchar hit. And there's this.

And a chasm between the 2

dodint

Postby dodint » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:26 pm

Does Milbury have an opinion?

FistOfCaufield

Postby FistOfCaufield » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:36 pm

There's the gonchar hit. And there's this.

And a chasm between the 2
True - but there is no way this hit should end up in this type of injury. Yet Ovechkin finds a magic way to pull it off yet again. Catch the next replay of it, watch Ovechkin's left leg. No reason to move it the way he does, but damn if he doesn't connect yet again. Given it's right after a Penguins goal, and it's after the puck is moved - no doubt in my mind the guy knows what he's doing.

FistOfCaufield

Postby FistOfCaufield » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:37 pm

Does Milbury have an opinion?
Yes, he said while he likes seeing Ovechkin finish his check, he thought he incredibly soft because Ovechkin didn't follow up by throwing a few punches at Dumo's head while he lay on the ice.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:38 pm

At least he's consistent.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:39 pm

I thought it was a clean hit. It was otherwise?

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:40 pm

It was clean. Reckless, but clean

FistOfCaufield

Postby FistOfCaufield » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:41 pm

https://twitter.com/ianoland/status/711711048844361729

Looks like knee on knee is first point of contact to me.

Jim

Postby Jim » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:52 pm

The hit itself can be argued, but it was very late.

Staggy

Postby Staggy » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:06 pm

Daley said something along the lines of "I think he's going to be alright" post game so hopefully he'll back sooner rather than later. Dumo's been tremendous, it'd be tough to get by without him.

Faubert5
Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - no fan of the Predators

Postby Faubert5 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:21 pm

It was clean. Reckless, but clean
Ovechkin has no respect for his fellow NHLers.

He hits late. He hits from behind. He leaves his feet. He hits high.

If he didn't score 40+ each year he'd be tagged with suspensions a lot more often.

doublewinder

Postby doublewinder » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:39 pm

Did anybody here go to the game because if you did, I'd like to know, was it me or where there a lot of Caps fans there?
I'm used to it being where when the Pens are in DC, it is 25-50% Pens fans, and when the Caps are in PIT, you can hear whispers when they score, in other words, there are no Caps fans.
But tonight, I could not keep track of all the red I saw. Usually I can count 12-20 Caps fans in the crowd, there were too many, or at least there appeared to be on TV to keep track.
Worse, when the Caps tied it at 2, I thought I heard a rather loud (relatively speaking for them) cheering and "Yeh" from the crowd.
WTF? This is the CAPS and this is in PIT.

WE are supposed to be the big boys, the majority fanbase that invades DC and they....they are the "sunbelt johnny come lately bandwagoners" of all fanbases, a transient city with no national following and no transplants in Pittsburgh...so WTF...was it just some illusion, or did the Caps actually bring a lot of fans?
Hard to believe we are vulnerable to road trips from fickle DC fans.

The U

Postby The U » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:40 pm

The past week there were many occasions where somebody got one or two gloves off, started throwing punches, and only received 2 for roughing. The victim (Penguin player) had gloves on and was wrestling or pawing the opponent and also received 2 for roughing.

Might as as well get some punches in if it's only going to cost 2 mins. I'd be pretty upset if I was grappling with a guy and he throws 6 punches to the top of my head and all I did was rub his helmet with my gloves and we both get 2 mins.

On a semi related note, Pens had to be more aware in tonight's late game/score out of hand situation. Ovi had one thing on his mind. It was as predictable as can be. If you are up 3 or 4 goals and Ovi is trying to end your season with a big hit... you need to get your stick up and make him eat wood in that situation. It was a clean hit but he was hitting with intent to cause damage. Why sit back and be a willing victim and just hope your shoulder or knee don't get pulverized?

Letang, Gonchar, Sid, Malkin, Dumo have all been in Ovi's crosshairs at one point or another since he came into the league. At some point you have to respond, no? Have you ever seen a Penguin hit, take a run at, two handed slash, spear, or punch Ovi since he came into the NHL? This targeting will continue since there are no repercussions. If Ovi thinks that there is a 5% chance that the next time he tries to hurt somebody that he may end up with a cracked wrist or ankle from a slash...he might think twice.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:41 pm

What do you do with this anecdotal data that you collect? Are you writing a book or submitting to a sports science journal?

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:41 pm

Clean hit and any complaint is due to homerism.

Really hope Dumoulin somehow escapes serious injury but i doubt it.

Avyran

Postby Avyran » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:49 pm

Avyran

Postby Avyran » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:17 am

(All sources from emptynetter's quality post-game blog.)

Also, regarding Ovi's hit...
https://twitter.com/myregularface/statu ... 76/photo/1
She has more angles in reply to this tweet if you want to look. Seems like a typical Ovi hit: led with the knee, but not necessarily kneeing (if that makes sense).

This may come up in post-game discussion too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69Nmx3vkLR0

And don't forget Weber's idiocy. First Gudas, now Weber. More folks who shouldn't be in the NHL.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qiWrSjsHEE

Orlando Penguin

Postby Orlando Penguin » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:32 am

Other than it's lateness, I don't have an issue with the Ovechkin hit. Sometimes, it's an interference call, other times it's not. That's the inconsistency of NHL officiating. The Weber hit, I'm shocked no one gave him a 2-hander to the head afterwards. That's a dirty play and that speaks to the dirtiness of the Caps overall. I only got to see the 1st period today so I missed the last 40 minutes of silliness. But I saw the highlight they ran on ESPN and that dickhead Wilson smacking Crosby after Sid smashed his stick against the glass protesting the quick whistle on the waved-off goal? Get bent, Wilson. And then the Caps just taking liberties on Hornqvist in front of the net when he's not even touching Holtby? I can't wait for their flameout in April. I hope we're the ones to send them packing. Also, Orpik steamrolling Horny into Holtby in the 1st period is something I've seen before when he was wearing a Pens jersey. Just wish it would have led to a goal just to see all the Caps start whining.

Really starting to come together and that bottom 6 has just been lights out. This is something this team hasn't seen in the past when a key member has gone down. There's plenty of secondary scoring now that can offset the loss of someone of Geno's caliber.

Algernon

Postby Algernon » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:08 am

I've said it several times before and I'll say it again.

Other than not having the talent.

I could never be an nhl player because the first time someone injured me on a dirty hit I'd go to prison for murder or attempted murder.

I would have absolutely got up and tomahawked anyone closest to me, whether it be a linesman or weber

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:10 am

Underrated annoying moment...they wave the goal off, Crosby bangs his stick against the glass and then Wilson cross checks him...for banging his stick against the glass. Like...it wasn't normal scrum stuff. Everyone was cool, he banged his stick and then some weird trigger went off in wilson's head.

Bugs, asses and vertical ascent.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:05 am

I was also annoyed by that for some reason...really annoyed.

FistOfCaufield

Postby FistOfCaufield » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:20 am

My problem with the Overhkin hit - and I can understand why some may look at it and say clean - but there are a few things.

1) Just after a goal, this wasn't about finishing a hit or trying to separate a guy from the puck - he had one purpose going in there.
2) He makes perfect knee on side of knee contact - and he put his left leg forward to accomplish this.
3) I just can't give him the benefit of the doubt anymore, reckless would mean he doesn't know what he's doing going into that corner - I give the guy more credit than that - I think he knows exactly what he's doing.

Point is - I think Ovechkin got the desired outcome from that hit - someone to hobble off the ice. We can argue whether he did it legally, I don't think there was a need to get his leg out in front, but regardless of that - I don't know how many times he has to do this in the league before someone takes it back to him.

FistOfCaufield

Postby FistOfCaufield » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:23 am

Underrated annoying moment...they wave the goal off, Crosby bangs his stick against the glass and then Wilson cross checks him...for banging his stick against the glass. Like...it wasn't normal scrum stuff. Everyone was cool, he banged his stick and then some weird trigger went off in wilson's head.

Bugs, asses and vertical ascent.

I agree - but I think what annoyed me more was someone throwing punches down on a helmetless player with the ice close to their head. This is not a serious league when it comes to head injuries, it just isn't. Especially if the new rule is 2 minutes for throwing punches with your gloves off. I'm okay if a guy drops his gloves and doesn't throw a punch, but once he throws a punch - it's 5 minutes. It's getting out of hand.