Report: Olli Maatta To Begin Service in Finnish Army After 15-16 Season

Kicksave

Postby Kicksave » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:49 pm

A draft is different than mandatory for everyone who is of age (which I believe is how it works in Finland). Signing up for the draft is mandatory, but you are not obligated to join the military unless you are drafted. I think Finland is every male over the age of 18 is required to serve X amount of time, regardless if they want to or not.
This is such an MR25 post.

columbia

Postby columbia » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:55 pm

What's that supposed to mean?

MR25

Postby MR25 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:13 pm

It's a semantics post.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:34 pm

Switzerland does this as well, but they let you keep your rifle.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:53 pm

Switzerland, Denmark, Norway, I believe they all do this...we used to have a Norwegian poster I think...but he was a fringe poster on LGP if I recall...probably never got invited...

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:37 pm

'Sup
Robinson was 6 ft. 8 in. when he was admitted to the Naval Academy, two inches above the height limit, but received a waiver from the Superintendent of the Academy. Robinson considered leaving the academy after his second year, before incurring an obligation to serve in active duty. He decided to stay after discussing with the Superintendent the likelihood that his height would prevent serving at sea as an unrestricted line officer, hurting his naval career, and might make it impossible for him to be commissioned at all. As a compromise, Secretary of the Navy John Lehman allowed Robinson to train for and receive his commission as a staff officer in the Civil Engineer Corps community. As a result, Robinson was commissioned in the Naval Reserves and only had to serve an initial active-duty obligation for two years. After graduating from the Naval Academy, Robinson became a civil engineering officer at the Naval Submarine Base Kings Bay in Georgia. He was regularly featured in recruiting materials for the service. Despite the nickname "Admiral", Robinson's actual rank upon fulfilling his service commitment was Lieutenant, Junior Grade.