2019 Penguins Offseason/Draft Thread

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:42 pm

Developmental Camp is the 26th through 28th.
This year's roster (click for full roster) includes all five players selected at the 2019 NHL Draft in Vancouver last weekend - forwards Samuel Poulin (1st round, 21st overall), Nathan Legare (3rdround, 74th overall), Judd Caulfield (5th round, 145th overall) and Valtteri Puustinen (7th round, 203rd overall) and defenseman Santeri Airola (7th round, 211th overall).
Of the 41 players invited (22 forwards, 14 defensemen, 5 goaltenders), 15 players were originally drafted by the Penguins, including Pittsburgh's top selection in the 2018 NHL draft, defenseman Calen Addison. Two undrafted free agents who were recently signed to deals, Jake Lucchini and Emil Larmi, are also on the roster.
Justin Almeida, Kasper Bjorkqvist and Nikita Pavlychev will miss development camp due to summer rehabilitation.
https://www.nhl.com/penguins/news/pengu ... 0BdjLQT3kc

https://nhl.bamcontent.com/images/asset ... e/file.pdf

- Lauzon is on the roster and isn't listed among the injuries. Is his neck meat healed?
- The 10th leading scorer from ASU's 2018-19 team is once again on the invite list.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:46 pm

Matt Murray in net too, nice.

Jim

Postby Jim » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:48 pm

Teams need to make Qualifying Offers to their RFA's by tomorrow at 5pm (6/25).

Pens RFA's (without arbitration rights):
Pettersson, Marcus
Siebenaler, Blake

Pens RFA's w/arbitration rights:
Aston-Reese, Zach
Blueger, Teddy
Blandisi, Joseph
Johnson, Adam
Erkamps, Macoy
Taylor, Jeff

Not a "oh geez, how are they going to sign those guys" kind of list.

Pettersson is the biggest fish in that pond. AGMs have had him signing anything from 1yr to 4yrs for anywhere between $1.2M to $3.5M. I hate to throw a number out as Rutherford is HORRIBLE with FA signings, but I am thinking 2yrs, $1.5Mish. Will then be a RFA with arbitration rights. Time to prove if he is the guy that Anaheim ejected or if he is a true NHLer.

ZAR, Blueger, Blandisi, and Johnson are the only other guys that I see potentially getting QOs (all sub-$900K and 2-way), and even then I'm not sure. All of them have arbitration rights, non of them would "win" an arbitration hearing.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:39 pm

Is that the least interesting list of FA’s in NHL history?

Gabe

Postby Gabe » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:10 pm

On one hand, you want to say "great, JR did his job and secured our lineup within the cap for at least the next season". On the other hand, this is the group that just got embarrassed vs the Isles.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:13 am

Is that the least interesting list of FA’s in NHL history?
It's one of the most interesting in the last several years...

I mean, just two seasons ago, the headliners were Radulov, Shattenkirk, and Alzner...

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:08 am

Re: Our picks. Be mindful, I really only know American guys...I have much less knowledge of everyone else, so here goes...

Poulin - He's a big hulk of a guy...one of the more physically imposing current players in the class. He can put the puck away. His skill level isn't super high from a translatable sense right now for me, until he really learns to use his body to protect pucks, keep his feet moving while making his 1v1 moves, and controlling the puck well outside of his skates, I'm gonna be a little hesitant on the ceiling. He has a JVR feel to him, but he'll participate up and down the rink where he can...unlike JVR who is just one-dimensional. He really owns the rink below the dots. Hmm, maybe I'll try to squint and bring it home for us...Ryan Malone maybe? I think he's the best QMJHL eligible player in this class.

What I might have done instead: Shane Pinto or Ryan Johnson.

Legare (Leh-gah-REE) - Just a finisher. He can score from distance already. Plays the point of the power play and the side wall. He really doesn't do much else. I don't think his talent level is anything interesting, I think he's a below average skater, and I don't think he really adds any pluses anywhere else. He can shoot, but I don't think that's gonna be enough. I don't have a lot of hope for this pick.

What I might have done instead: Patrick Moynihan, Parker Ford, Jami Krannila.

Judd Caulfield - Another hulk of a player...more of a cycler than anything. Skating is quite a bit below average. When he gets moving, he takes it to the paint, but his small area footwork doesn't allow him to be a real menace near the net yet like a Hornqvist. Makes some surprisingly good plays from near the icing line and he can really dig out some pucks. But overall, nothing really grades above average for him for me. I don't see it as a reasonable that he turns out better than ZAR for instance...

Valtteri Puustinen - Saw him a little bit at the WJCs. He's a '99, so he's already been passed over twice. He's one of those guys that we take late because we can sign him and get him in our system quicker. He doesn't do anything for me. I don't think he's very smart, I don't think he has skill, he works decently hard...I think I saw some tweet that said that he's a really good skater...I see what they mean, but I don't think that's right either...there's some flaws to it and it really holds him back, especially for a player his size. The speed of his foot churn makes it seem like he's a good, fast skater...but there really isn't a ton there right now, it needs some help.

Santeri Airola - I don't know this player. Apparently one of our scouts was standing on the table for him because I think we traded back in (after giving all of ours picks for Legare) to get him. I don't know him, hopefully he's not a complete boob. I do know that he got invited to Finland's WJC camp over some players that were drafted much higher. But he's a 2018 pass over that I've never heard of...

Seems like, to put it overly simply, we took some guys who can shoot but can't really skate and aren't terribly smart (Poulin is the exception, and whatever Airola is maybe)...Poulin is the hope here, I don't see a reasonable scenario (again, not knowing Airola at all), where any of those other players make pension in the NHL...but, I've been wrong before, and I'll be wrong again...hopefully I am here...

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:58 am

The Penguins have extended qualifying offers to restricted free agents Marcus Pettersson, Zach Aston-Reese, Teddy Blueger, Adam Johnson and Joseph Blandisi.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pen ... 1906250094

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:00 am

Re: Our picks.

I'm generally hoping for players with brains and/or wheels at the draft, so that class is thoroughly underwhelming.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:11 am

The Penguins have extended qualifying offers to restricted free agents Marcus Pettersson, Zach Aston-Reese, Teddy Blueger, Adam Johnson and Joseph Blandisi.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pen ... 1906250094
This may be in the article, but I don't click things...

But this means Erkamps, Siebenaler, Taylor are all free to go...Ethan Prow leaves a Group VI free agent...

I think that brings us down to like 43 contracts assuming Addison goes back...

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:15 am

Rutherford also expressed hope that Zachary Lauzon, the 2017 second-round pick whose career has been stalled by a concussion and other injuries, still has a future in Pittsburgh. The Penguins opted not to sign Lauzon earlier this month, making him a free agent, but he will be at their prospect development camp this week.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:20 am

I appreciate them keeping an eye on him. But I think this is gonna be pretty much dead in the water. Maybe he can earn an AHL deal from us next summer or something...

Lelldorin

Postby Lelldorin » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:52 pm

I get that late draft picks are really really long shots of belonging in the NHL but it seems like a steep price to pay for a player that mikey hates ;)
Outside of the two first rounds or something, I would rather like many draft picks to have a larger chance of capturing lightning in a bottle.

"JUNE 22: Pittsburgh Penguins acquire No. 74 pick in 2019 NHL Draft from Arizona Coyotes for No. 98, No. 151, and No. 207 picks in 2019 NHL Draft. | Penguins acquire pick No. 74"

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:42 pm

I'm foolishly confident in my ability I guess, because I don't believe that it's just a lottery pick...I believe that you can make an informed decision and get these things right a little more often than hoping for one guy out of seven rounds to work out...but I don't know, part of me thinks there's probably too many cooks in the kitchen sometimes...

I don't know, I just don't know how you watch Adam Gaudette and Markus Nutivaara and Sami Niku even and go, "ya know, Zachary Senyshyn is better than those guys..." that's a little weird to me...

I get how you take Poulin, I get how you take Legare even because he can put the puck away and you figure you fix some other stuff...but if you're drafting Judd Caulfield, meaning you're watching the NTDP, and then you're gonna leave Patrick Moynihan on the board? That's really, really weird to me. I don't know, maybe someone will dig this up and throw it in my face in five years, and I'll take that...but man, this draft doesn't give me a great feeling, and while there isn't a ton of high-end talent, I think the American side was deep with draftable players...guys like Ford, Krannila, Pinoniemi, Jack Jensen, I don't think any of them got a look, but I'd bet dollars to donuts one of those guys plays in the NHL...

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:45 pm

Poulins godfather is Thibault

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:16 am

Poulins godfather is Thibault
Country Club :roll:

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:14 am

His real father is Ulf Samuelsson

Lelldorin

Postby Lelldorin » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:38 am

Good scouts should improve your chances to find good players, but I still believe that very few players picked after the two first rounds become impact NHL players. So if you trade away many high draft picks to get into the middle of the third round I really hope that the targeted player is someone that the whole scout team likes.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:50 am

There's a pie chart for either the beginning of or end of the 17-18 season, and the percentage of players who were drafted in each round/undrafted. I think anything after the 4th round was sub-5%.

By comparison I think something like 14% of the league last year were undrafted and signed with their teams.

Lelldorin

Postby Lelldorin » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:52 am

Good scouts should improve your chances to find good players, but I still believe that very few players picked after the two first rounds become impact NHL players. So if you trade away many late draft picks to get into the middle of the third round I really hope that the targeted player is someone that the whole scout team likes.
*late, not high

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:53 am

To think 9 years ago the cap was 56 million. It seems like the NHL is quickly barreling towards what caused a lockout in the first place.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:57 am

Good scouts should improve your chances to find good players, but I still believe that very few players picked after the two first rounds become impact NHL players. So if you trade away many high draft picks to get into the middle of the third round I really hope that the targeted player is someone that the whole scout team likes.
That rarely happens, but it's a good thought.

Plus, most scouts are regional, so only that region's guy and the cross-over guys probably have any idea who he is.

Your premise makes sense, but the reality of it is is that most teams just have a lot of people talking at each other about players they don't know...I've had the "I'm so frustrated" conversation with scouts a million times because they have a guy they know is gonna be something, but it just doesn't work out for them or they get overruled...

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:06 am

Trotman and Czuczman re-signed.

Trotman: 2 years, $700k per year, $400k in the AHL
Czuczman: 2 years, $700k per year, $225K in AHL, guaranteed $300k per season

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:41 am

Ok fine, a couple of AHL vets...but don't be lazy and re-sign that same group...find some 20-23 year olds that don't have NHL rights and see if you can develop them, find another Sheary...let's get to work, pro scouts...this is where you come in handy, when you don't have draft picks, you have to get creative...they're out there...keep an eye Colby Bukes this season, for instance...

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:20 pm

I’d say 2nd round is this team’s ceiling, absent of finding one of these diamonds in the rough.