Penguins sign Matt Cullen

Clams Herbert

Postby Clams Herbert » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:45 pm

Why does the age matter if the player ends up struggling? It's not like they signed him for 3 years.

beachboy76

Postby beachboy76 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:45 pm

Old should have nothing to do with your view of the signing. If the player can still produce over the term he's signed to, then what does age matter? Jagr still produces and he's older than the hills. No I'm not comparing Jagr to Cullen, so relax. I'm just using their age as an example, they are two different players.
If GMJR signed him to a 2-3 year deal, different story.

Some may say he could get injured more often because he's old. Wilson, Maatta, Letang, Geno, Hornqvist, Ehrhoff, etc all got hurt last year and they're definitely not old. Craig Adams stayed healthy. Weird. Injuries can happen to anyone.

As long as the player is still producing over the term of his contract, age doesn't matter. You run into problems when you sign older guys to longer term and their play regresses and you're stuck with them. Hence why many are worried about Kunitz and Dupuis, although I feel they will be fine.

Age does matter to a point, especially if the player ends up struggling. 34-35 doesn't matter that much, 39 does. Also, if someone is going to basically be a serviceable 4th liner (my terms) I would rather that be one of the 23ish year old guys that might be around for a while after this season than a guy that is probably going to retire.

I understand bring him in if we needed more NHLers, but we already have 11. A lot can happen between now and October, but Cullen, specifically, was low on the totem of FAs that were available.
As I said, age doesn't matter if the player produces over the contract he's signed to. Who cares how old he is if he's still helping the team and isn't over signed and overpaid? If age was a factor, Jagr wouldn't keep getting a contract. He's still producing, no matter how old he is.

If Cullen can come in, play a good 4th line role, be our top faceoff% guy, kill penalties, be a good locker room guy, and bring more offense in one season than Adams did in 3+ seasons, then I'd say his age doesn't matter. There's obviously a reason they brought him in, and with the way this offseason is going, I think I'll trust the staff.

beachboy76

Postby beachboy76 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:48 pm

Why does the age matter if the player ends up struggling? It's not like they signed him for 3 years.
Exactly.

Was there more risk to signing Kunitz, Dupuis, and Scuderi to their contracts considering their age at the time, or more risk to a one year contract to Cullen at 38?

Keep in mind the pricetag on each player too.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:03 pm

Seems unnecessary and I would have rather spent the money elsewhere (eg, D). Good signing in a vacuum for the price but was comfortable with rolling with one of the youngins for the 4th line.

meecrofilm

Postby meecrofilm » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:04 pm

Cullen, while old, still has some decent wheels left above everything else. I really don't see the issue here.

llipgh2

Postby llipgh2 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:06 pm

I'm in the "I'm ok with this move" camp. He showed some value in Nashville, and is more or less a stop gap player here.

beachboy76

Postby beachboy76 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:10 pm

Seems unnecessary and I would have rather spent the money elsewhere (eg, D). Good signing in a vacuum for the price but was comfortable with rolling with one of the youngins for the 4th line.
If there was no chance to move Scuderi, how can you spend more money on D?

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:13 pm

What I mean to say is I'd rather 2.5 in cap space than 1.7 in cap space and Matt Cullen given where we are. The universe of moves to free up enough cash to get a D upgrade is not limited to Scuderi only when you're sitting at 2.5, though that would be the ideal. And at 1.7, the ability to get that upgrade is a smaller window.

columbia

Postby columbia » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:14 pm

What I mean to say is I'd rather 2.5 in cap space than 1.7 in cap space and Matt Cullen given where we are. The universe of moves to free up enough cash to get a D upgrade is not limited to Scuderi only when you're sitting at 2.5, though that would be the ideal. And at 1.7, the ability to get that upgrade is a smaller window.
Alternately, they're more familiar with the market and it's not as open as you might believe.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:18 pm

Alternately, they're more familiar with the market and it's not as open as you might believe.
Absolutely. I'd rather the flexibility over Cullen in the end though.

Jim

Postby Jim » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:36 pm

+1

Clams Herbert

Postby Clams Herbert » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:21 pm

Letang-Maatta
Cole-Pouliot
Scuderi-Dumolin
x Erixon, Andersen, Clendening

So unless we move some contracts, signing another D doesn't make sense.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:24 pm

Letang-Maatta
Cole-Pouliot
Scuderi-Dumolin

Its not about signing another D because I don't want anyone who is left; its about having flexibility to get one on the market. Obviously a ways to go, but I'd rather the money, albeit with the fact that we're all operating in the dark concerning the market as columbia noted. I'm not mad at this signing, just saying I would rather the space.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:24 pm

Letang-Maatta
Cole-Pouliot
Scuderi-Dumolin

do you have Lovejoy dying in this scenario?

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:27 pm

Though it's not optimal, Cullen is stash-able if he's so bad that he's not worth $800K in our lineup, ju'know what I'm saying mon ami?

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:28 pm

Though it's not optimal, Cullen is stash-able if he's so bad that he's not worth $800K in our lineup, ju'know what I'm saying mon ami?
I can get down if you assure me that Cullen would agree that a hot dog is a sandwich.

double m v.2.0

Postby double m v.2.0 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:40 pm

The Pens D just has a really odd mix of players. you have Letang a Norris guy if healthy, a bunch of young guys -Maatta Pouliot Dumolin, a few guys that you don't know what you will get Lovejoy, Cole, Erixon, Andersen, Clendening. and scuds who is terrible. I think they will be better than most think though.

columbia

Postby columbia » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:44 pm

There's also the issue of what do the Pens have to give up, which would net a D who fills the apparent gap on the blue line.
Looking at the prospect pool....that's not really an option. Trade more picks at the deadline? Um, yeah, I guess.

Once can certainly carp about the Despres trade, but that doesn't change the reality of their current options (whatever those might be).

double m v.2.0

Postby double m v.2.0 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:45 pm

I'm hoping the Avs will take Scuds.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:50 pm

I can get down if you assure me that Cullen would agree that a hot dog is a sandwich.
No one could assure anyone of that, I am sorry.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:52 pm

Brad Stuart is already their bottom pair LD, they committed to him in some way recently, I doubt they'll feel the need to bring in Scuderi...a RD to get Nick Holden out of the NHL would be desirable for them...we're short on those though...

FLPensFan

Postby FLPensFan » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:56 pm

Brad Stuart is already their bottom pair LD, they committed to him in some way recently, I doubt they'll feel the need to bring in Scuderi...a RD to get Nick Holden out of the NHL would be desirable for them...we're short on those though...
Not to mention, Colorado doesn't strike me as a team that Scuderi would be doing cartwheels to waive his NTC to accept a trade.

I've heard several places that the defenseman they have now are the defenseman they expect to open the season with, see how they play, and adjust as needed closer to the trade deadline.

Hugo Stiglitz

Postby Hugo Stiglitz » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:03 pm

I still think that sundqvist should have a spot to lose going into camp.
There has been talk about him converting to wing. Fourth line possibilities:

Sundqvist-Cullen-Bennett
Plotnikov-Cullen-Sundqvist
Isn't the point of bringing in Plotnikov to play with Geno? I would slot him there until he proves he's not up to the job.
The point? No. The hope that he can? Yes.

You want to slot a player who's completely unproven in North American hockey next to Geno?

PrinceOfRossTownship

Postby PrinceOfRossTownship » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:03 pm

Did John Cullen turn them down?

Clams Herbert

Postby Clams Herbert » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:38 pm

Letang-Maatta
Cole-Pouliot
Scuderi-Dumolin

do you have Lovejoy dying in this scenario?
Yeah totally forgot about him. Furthers my point though.