Off Season Moves Thread

Pavement

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Pavement » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:36 am

Jim has been super mellow ever since Orpik left.
I thought it was because of the huge ganja delivery he got after joining 5AF.
I think his jousting with CG on ye olde board allows him to be more chilled here.
Slapping around stupid does make one more relaxed in other aspects of one's life...
Seriously though, why aren't the Pens younger, stronger, bigger and grittier yet? :scared:

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby meow » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:39 am

And cheaper. You forgot cheaper.

Pavement

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Pavement » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:41 am

And cheaper. You forgot cheaper.
I think I also forgot quicker. :evil: :pop:

Jim

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Jim » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:42 am

... with hot sisters that like fan boys...

FLPensFan

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby FLPensFan » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:45 am

Hahaha....Pensblog figured out where Rutherford is.

mikey

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby mikey » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:45 am

You gotta buy goals young if you're gonna buy them. If you're getting a guy to score goals and giving up a major asset, he's gotta be like 21...not past 24 and 25, much less guys like Sharp at 34 and the like...
Skinner is about the only option out there, at least that's circulating in the rumor mill. Whether you like the player or not, what do you think would be a fair offer for Skinner, who is only 23, multiple 20+ goal seasons, smallish, concussion history....

Skinner is essentially a poor-man's Kessel. Younger, smaller, injury history, but still has 30 goal potential and speed.
I gotta think it's a young, impact LD + a 1st/'A' prospect, right?

mikey

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby mikey » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:48 am

Ya know, maybe that's high given his injury history...maybe just any top-four LD and a 1/A prospect

FLPensFan

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby FLPensFan » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:52 am

Ya know, maybe that's high given his injury history...maybe just any top-four LD and a 1/A prospect
Would Pouliot, Bennett, and a 3rd be enough?

The U

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby The U » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:53 am

I've watched Oshie a decent amount and always thought he was OK. I wonder how much of his perceived value is tied into his Olympic shootout moment.

I certainly wouldn't mind adding him to the team but if we are looking for snipers/scoring wingers he doesn't seem to be the ideal guy. If Brandon Sutter goes to STL in an Oshie trade, one of our biggest trade chips will have been spent on Oshie instead of Kessel, Sharp, Semin, Skinner, etc..

mikey

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby mikey » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:56 am

I gotta think that it wouldn't be...but I can't be sure how teams rate that injury history (and given his style, the propensity for further injury)...

My feeling is that the bigger the deal, the less the ancillary pieces can impact it. It's like anything else, proportions matter. If you drop a $20 bill on your way to lunch, it sucks. If you drop a $20 bill on your way to cash in your Powerball jackpot winnings, it doesn't matter.

That's why I never understood why people are like: "yeah, I'd do Crosby for Ovechkin, if the Caps give up a 2nd and the Pens add a 3rd..." like who cares...?

So, you look at Bennett in there, you look at the 3 in there, and they just don't move the needle enough, ya know? At least for me...maybe not in the eyes of Ron Francis...

Gabe

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Gabe » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:57 am

I will be at the draft tonight. Never attended one before, but I imagine lots of zzzzzz moments. My wish is that JR makes a deal for a first rounder and makes the trip down to Sunrise worth my while.

columbia

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby columbia » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:58 am

Bennett's value probably tops out at a third round pick.

FLPensFan

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby FLPensFan » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:00 pm

I will be at the draft tonight. Never attended one before, but I imagine lots of zzzzzz moments. My wish is that JR makes a deal for a first rounder and makes the trip down to Sunrise worth my while.
I contemplated going. I live less than 10 minutes from BB&T, but decided I'd probably be more comfortable sitting on my couch watching on the TV and getting scoops on trades before they filtered down to the draft floor to be announced.

mikey

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby mikey » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:01 pm

Bennett's value probably tops out at a third round pick.
I feel this way as well.

beachboy76

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby beachboy76 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:01 pm

I contemplated going. I live less than 10 minutes from BB&T, but decided I'd probably be more comfortable sitting on my couch watching on the TV and getting scoops on trades before they filtered down to the draft floor to be announced.
Smart thinking! The discussion, speculation, and rumors are a lot of fun on draft day. Especially in a draft like today's.

FLPensFan

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby FLPensFan » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:02 pm

Custance and Dreger both saying they believe Pittsburgh is still in the mix for Mike Reilly. That would make moving one of our young defenseman a bit easier to swallow.

Avyran

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Avyran » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:02 pm

Smart thinking! The discussion, speculation, and rumors are a lot of fun on draft day. Especially in a draft like today's.
You all can help us give @Gabe something to read while he's sitting there, then. :D

mikey

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby mikey » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:04 pm

I went to the last two. One was done all in one day, the other went for both days. I had a blast, but I also negotiated by way up into the more privileged areas...was able to chat with some scouts, some players, some coaches (not the least of which was Scotty Bowman), which was awesome...

Gabe

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Gabe » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:05 pm

You all can help us give @Gabe something to read while he's sitting there, then. :D
haha. yep. I'll be on the board/tsn/etc looking for a clues as to what the heck is going on.

mikey

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby mikey » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:05 pm

Custance and Dreger both saying they believe Pittsburgh is still in the mix for Mike Reilly. That would make moving one of our young defenseman a bit easier to swallow.
Given Reilly's play style -> heavy offensive, it would be Pouliot...

Gaucho

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Gaucho » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:09 pm

I thought Reilly's choices were down to CHI, MIN, LAK.

Avyran

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Avyran » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:11 pm

I went to the last two. One was done all in one day, the other went for both days. I had a blast, but I also negotiated by way up into the more privileged areas...was able to chat with some scouts, some players, some coaches (not the least of which was Scotty Bowman), which was awesome...
Wait... you've chatted with Bowman? :fist:

MR25

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby MR25 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:12 pm

Yeah, I had heard earlier in the week that he cancelled a visit to Pittsburgh.

Guess whoever reported that then was wrong?

mikey

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby mikey » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:13 pm

I certainly have. Which was great because he's someone I really tried to take a lot from in my own experiences. The Coach...

FLPensFan

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby FLPensFan » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:14 pm

Yeah, I had heard earlier in the week that he cancelled a visit to Pittsburgh.

Guess whoever reported that then was wrong?
Dreger said that last night, he heard MIN, CHI, and PIT.

Rutherford was quoted yesterday or today saying that even though he cancelled the trip, the Penguins haven't been told they were out of the running, and until that happens, they believe they have a chance to sign him.