Off Season Moves Thread

columbia

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby columbia » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:42 pm

I'm relatively certain that Ron Burkle hasn't amassed a $2.6B fortune by allowing people, who shouldn't be making certain decisions, to make said decisions.

thehockeyguru

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby thehockeyguru » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:46 pm

I'm relatively certain that Ron Burkle hasn't amassed a $2.6B fortune by allowing people, who shouldn't be making certain decisions, to make said decisions.
No doubt about that, and I am never going to question his business acumen. But what is Ron Burkle's main goal? To win the Cup or increase the value of the franchise? Is it out of line to question that given the impending sale?

Rylan

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Rylan » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:19 pm

Winning cups increases club value.

darkstar57

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby darkstar57 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:41 pm

another day gone by and the Pens get another day older... one thing GMJR can do and has control of is buyout Scuderi and Kunitz by Wednesday... all of this silly Kessel trade stuff should be over by then... to take Kessel the Pens have to trade S or K... buyout won't clear enough cap space... one thing is certain, this franchise is a mess and that hour long after draft meeting of the four horseman... the GMJR and Morehouse talk away from the table during the draft is very very interesting... perhaps some back stabbing going on?... yes, the circus has arrived at the country club... BRING IN THE CLOWNS!
One thing that is undeniable is that Moorehouse should not be involved in any hockey operations decisions. The fact that he was at the draft seemingly giving his opinion really bothers me. I hope he is gone the moment that Mario sells his interest in the team.
The freaking out over morehouse is hysterical (esp on the other board). He is there to represent Burke and Lemieux. And be their conduit to the descions being made to Lemieux and Burke. If burkle and Lemieux want maata on the team, it prevents the gm from doing the deal. It's prevents the gm from signing a 35 year old 4th liner to a 2 year deal or signing scuderi

I Suspect morehouse is their more for Burkle than Lemieux,

thehockeyguru

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby thehockeyguru » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:55 pm

Winning cups increases club value.
Maybe in the short term......

Vancouver Canucks are 5th on Forbes list of most valuable NHL franchises. When was their last Cup?

Islanders have more Cups than the Pens and is the 21st most valuable franchise.

Its more complicated than just winning cups, its about building a fan base and a brand.

llipgh2

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby llipgh2 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:15 pm

Per Rob Rossi:

The Pens offered their 2016 1st, Kunitz, Pouliot, and Scuderi for Kessel. Leafs declined.
Where did he get that info?
Same place he gets all his info. His imagination.

Craig

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Craig » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:24 pm

Thats giving him a lot of credit. I assume he pulled it off a random from twitter.

slappybrown

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby slappybrown » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:43 pm

Sorry if posted, Lebrun's thoughts on GMJR:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/3 ... p-forwards
But as Rutherford continues to dabble on Kessel, Sharp, Skinner or other candidates, my sense is Rutherford wants to slow-play it, hope that the price comes down, and teams trying to dump these players become desperate in a week or two or three.

Morkle

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Morkle » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:44 pm

Per Rob Rossi:

The Pens offered their 2016 1st, Kunitz, Pouliot, and Scuderi for Kessel. Leafs declined.
Where did he get that info?
Same place he gets all his info. His imagination.
That's an awful deal for a team that doesn't have to trade the player.

thehockeyguru

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby thehockeyguru » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:53 pm

Sorry if posted, Lebrun's thoughts on GMJR:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/3 ... p-forwards
But as Rutherford continues to dabble on Kessel, Sharp, Skinner or other candidates, my sense is Rutherford wants to slow-play it, hope that the price comes down, and teams trying to dump these players become desperate in a week or two or three.
Chicago must deal Sharp. But I dont see TML or the Canes desperate to deal Kessel or Skinner. I think they would prefer to trade them but its not a MUST. They arent going to give them away for what the Pens are offering.

I'd be happy with no acquisitions and the subtraction of Scuderi.

spiritfan

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby spiritfan » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:39 pm

sports today is about entertainment and the bottom line... especially in this garage league that allows fighting and a cable company owned team to shed salary with a league owned team... Mario and Burkle will cash out just like they should and if you think otherwise then I got a blue shirt for you to wear... my rants are getting less optimistic but with coaches challenges coming and 3 on 3 also, my time as a hockey fan is shrinking... hockey entertainment just doesn't do it for me... and to sit back and watch this circus and try to think this is being managed by experienced professionals and reported by professional journalists is laughable... to try to apply sensible logic to all of this just screams idiocy... I think I got one final rant of what's happened here since July 2005 and then it will be time to divest in other interests...

Avyran

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Avyran » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:15 am

Yohe rumor time!
The Penguins like that Frolik is a dependable two-way player. They also like that he likely won’t break the bank. He won’t come cheap — presumably a modest raise from last season’s $3.3 million cap hit — but compared to the rest of the free agency crop, the Penguins believe dealing with him will be reasonable.

The Penguins aren’t expected to seek at least one of the biggest names on the market: Matt Beleskey, who enjoyed a breakout season with the Ducks, is a left wing and will be a hot commodity. A little too hot, if you ask the Penguins. While the Penguins like Beleskey, they’ve been told he will be seeking something in the neighborhood of $6 million per season. They aren’t interested at that price.

On another front, the Penguins’ level of interest in free-agent left winger Jiri Tlusty is murky. Members of the organization haven’t seriously discussed making him an offer. However, Rutherford was his general manager with the Hurricanes and thinks highly of his ability to play effectively with highly skilled centers.
Who's Frolik's fan... is it Kraftster? Or was it Draftnik?

columbia

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby columbia » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:34 am

I'd certainly rather have Frolik at $3.5M than Kessel at 8. And for God's sake, don't trade Pouliot.

Avyran

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Avyran » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:12 am

Apparently Frolik's Corsi levels are really good. But Wilson says he'll get 5 million?

I mean, I agree 100% with what columbia said (I'd be okay up to 4.5 on a 3-year... 5 is stretching).

Jim

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Jim » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:34 am

Yohe rumor time!
The Penguins like that Frolik is a dependable two-way player. They also like that he likely won’t break the bank. He won’t come cheap — presumably a modest raise from last season’s $3.3 million cap hit — but compared to the rest of the free agency crop, the Penguins believe dealing with him will be reasonable.

The Penguins aren’t expected to seek at least one of the biggest names on the market: Matt Beleskey, who enjoyed a breakout season with the Ducks, is a left wing and will be a hot commodity. A little too hot, if you ask the Penguins. While the Penguins like Beleskey, they’ve been told he will be seeking something in the neighborhood of $6 million per season. They aren’t interested at that price.

On another front, the Penguins’ level of interest in free-agent left winger Jiri Tlusty is murky. Members of the organization haven’t seriously discussed making him an offer. However, Rutherford was his general manager with the Hurricanes and thinks highly of his ability to play effectively with highly skilled centers.

$6M/yr? What am I missing on Beleskey?

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby meow » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:38 am

Nothing. Belesky is this years David Clarkson.

mikey

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby mikey » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:46 am

Beleskey is a fourth line winger. He's bigger, slower Comeau. Probably a touch less talented than him too.

Gaucho

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Gaucho » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:49 am

Must be a typo.

Avyran

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Avyran » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:52 am

Nah, he's one of the "best" FA wingers this year, coming off of a career year (wow! 32 points!). He's going to ask to be overpaid ridiculously. Hopefully no one's stupid enough to give him a Bickell-esque contract -inflated to 5-6 million - but I'm guessing someone will.

slappybrown

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby slappybrown » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:31 am

Yohe rumor time!

You're thinking of Hemsky re kraftster.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:40 am

If a team pays Belesky 6mil they should be relegated to the AHL

thehockeyguru

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby thehockeyguru » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:53 am

I'd certainly rather have Frolik at $3.5M than Kessel at 8. And for God's sake, don't trade Pouliot.
Frolik will get 4.5 to 5M per.

columbia

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby columbia » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:03 am

Dave Molinari ‏@MolinariPG 15s15 seconds ago

Penguins re-sign defenseman Ian Cole to a three-year contract.

mikey

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby mikey » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:04 am

3 years, $2.1M per for Ian Cole.

Avyran

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Avyran » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:04 am

2.1 cap hit per year is pretty good. That may look incredibly good in a year or two.