GDT: Pittsburgh vs Nashville - SCF Game Two - 8:00 EDT

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:29 am

Also I just learned Jonas Hiller has the third highest playoff save percenrage ever wtf

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:39 am

I'll wait until they win two more to start discussing their "best ever" statuses.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:39 am

I said it last night, but I want to say it again. Peter L should go with Saros in game 3

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:40 am

I would prefer not to see Saros honestly. He reeks of rookie goalie that Pens will need to figure out fast, and they haven't exactly been able to live in Nashville's end to do that enough.

Nashville fans are very high on him.

FistOfCaufield

Postby FistOfCaufield » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:41 am

So is Murray already the greatest Pens goalie?
He wins another cup I think he's absolutely there or real close. Longevity at that point would be the only thing holding him back.
If he keeps this up, he's going to be there by year 5 pretty easily.... but he's gotta keep this level up (I don't see him having any problem doing so).

meow

Postby meow » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:42 am

They should be. He is phenomenal

darkstar57

Postby darkstar57 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:44 am

I guess the same is for Sullivan too, I had a discussion with a random fan last night - if he wins another cup, is he already the best Pens coach ever?

Or does he even need the cup to win that? With this team, the injuries, and the continual changes, I think he's a pretty tough beat, imo.
I think he is already the best coach we have had recently. Its tough to compare him to guys like johnson and bowman because i have a tough time remembering those cups teams and how those guys coached and the team reacted.

He is head and shoulders above Disco Dan, Mike Johnston, Michel Therrien or anyone else before them. I think his biggest strength his he demands his best from his players while giving them the respect they deserve.

FistOfCaufield

Postby FistOfCaufield » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:45 am

Goalie question for Meow.

First goal of the 3rd period, Rust from a wide angle throws a puck to the right pad of Rinne.

He shoots it out, pretty far to a spot... that happens to be where Guentzel is.

So is it a really bad rebound, a somewhat bad rebound, or did he do what he's supposed to do with it... or should he put it back to a guy that he can see in his peripheral view.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:47 am

I guess the same is for Sullivan too, I had a discussion with a random fan last night - if he wins another cup, is he already the best Pens coach ever?

Or does he even need the cup to win that? With this team, the injuries, and the continual changes, I think he's a pretty tough beat, imo.
I think he is already the best coach we have had recently. Its tough to compare him to guys like johnson and bowman because i have a tough time remembering those cups teams and how those guys coached and the team reacted.

He is head and shoulders above Disco Dan, Mike Johnston, Michel Therrien or anyone else before them. I think his biggest strength his he demands his best from his players while giving them the respect they deserve.
I think at this point, it's Bowman, Sullivan, Johnson in that order, even without winning a second Cup. I give those guys respect for the 90's, but I think anyone could have coached the 91,92, and even 93 teams and been given a cup.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:51 am

I don't think I've ever seen such a bad performance as his when rubbing his neck on the bench and then on the ice right away to play on that PP.
Frankly the way he laid on the ice he should've been sent to the dark room.

meow

Postby meow » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:52 am

Goalie question for Meow.

First goal of the 3rd period, Rust from a wide angle throws a puck to the right pad of Rinne.

He shoots it out, pretty far to a spot... that happens to be where Guentzel is.

So is it a really bad rebound, a somewhat bad rebound, or did he do what he's supposed to do with it... or should he put it back to a guy that he can see in his peripheral view.
Somewhat bad rebound. If he uses his stick instead of letting it get into his pad, that ends up in the glass or out of play. Even without getting a stick on it, it kicks pretty much directly into Jake's stick - which is both unlucky and unprobabale. Also, I don't know why he was so far out of the crease on a 2-on-1. Being that far out gives him less time to react to a shot AND a further distance to travel for a pass. He is way too aggressive right now.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:52 am

Therrien was the exact coach the Pens needed at that exact moment in time. Same with Byslma. Sullivan is the coach that this team needs at this point in time. You can't really call someone the best ever while they're still active. Those sort of accolades should be given in retrospect.

Why Not Us

Postby Why Not Us » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:53 am

I would prefer not to see Saros honestly. He reeks of rookie goalie that Pens will need to figure out fast, and they haven't exactly been able to live in Nashville's end to do that enough.

Nashville fans are very high on him.
They were able to figure out Vasilevsky last spring, I think this group would be fine with Saros also.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:03 am

Well they were able to figure out anyone last year with shot volume and zone time. The Pens have neither this year.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:11 am

I don't know if Nashville has really been testing him, last night felt like it was mostly perimeter shots save for that one where Olli looked like trash.
He's making it look easy.

It is not easy.
Agree. He was ridden pretty hard, especially through 2 periods last night...that was an A effort last night to be sure...

Staggy

Postby Staggy » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:21 am

Well they were able to figure out anyone last year with shot volume and zone time. The Pens have neither this year.
Part of that is that Rinne is so excellent at funneling dump ins to his puck moving dmen. I don't know anything about this Saros dude but no way he's near Rinne's level there.

Spangler
Location: Spangler the t-shirt; Spangler the lunchbox; Spangler the flamethrower!

Postby Spangler » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:28 am

I was thinking something similar, too. He could possibly be the Chuck Noll of the Penguins if he keeps it up. He's already the best coach the Pens have had since Herb Brooks.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:29 am

@meow explain why Rinne sucks against the Pens

meow

Postby meow » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:35 am

I did?

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:36 am

where please

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:37 am

Also really annoying that I knew Malkin would somehow get an extra 2 out of his scrap with PK. Such an oddly called game.
I mean, Malkin did get a pretty good shot in. That doesn't explain why punching in the face is a penalty when PK gets punched but not when Guentzel does, though.
There's a good opportunity for an NHL ref flowchart in here.

Are you winning? Was the last penalty called on your team? Is it the third period? Overtime? Game 7?

Gabe

Postby Gabe » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:38 am

So is Murray already the greatest Pens goalie?

I say that half jokingly and half not. Two more wins and he has the greatest start to a career as any goalie ever
They win the cup, he's very close.

I'd say for now, it's

1. Fleury
2. Murray
3. Barrasso
---Gigantic Drop off---
4. Binkley
5. Lalime
6. Hedberg
7. Wregget

750. DeRouville

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:38 am

@meow explain why Rinne sucks against the Pens
In short - he sucks against everyone and has been shielded by a great top 4 d-corps but had a good first few rounds and is now crashing down to earth

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:39 am

Subban has a word for the Pens fans on his way to the box:

https://streamable.com/fnp23

No PK, F you.

llipgh2

Postby llipgh2 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:43 am

Eh... I wonder if some people were flinging the N word at PK. It wouldn't surprise me.