Pens Gm FLIPS on Tribune Review columnist

large garlic

Postby large garlic » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:40 pm

I've said this before, but my plan as GM would be to just accept that the next 2-3 years are a re-tooling period. Don't make any big splashes in free agency (not that there's anybody really appealing to sign anyhow); don't trade any high picks; unload the contracts of underperforming veterans where you can. Then, you hope you have set yourself up for a 2nd window of being a contender when you've got the big four in their early 30s, some younger prospects (hopefully) making their way onto the team, and enough cap space to add important missing pieces.
Isn't this what has happened? All deals caming in via free agency were one year deals. All trades coming in have one year left after this year or are UFA at season's end.
I think so to an extent. I was thinking more of the in-season trades...the Perron and Winnik trades in particular were moves that a contender makes. Maybe you could put the Despres/Lovejoy trade in that category too.

I was also thinking about any hypothetical plans to fix the top-6 this summer. I'm saying we just accept that it's not going to be fixed in the short-term, and thus, the Pens are not contenders in the short term. The Pens will probably have the cap space to go after a high-price forward this summer. I'm cautioning against thinking we're one decent top-6 winger away from the Cup, so it's fine to overpay to get that. Doing what Rutherford did last summer signing guys with question marks to short-term, cheap contracts is still fine. I'm saying that the Pens should sit on the extra cap space if nothing appealing is available and try to develop from within a bit.

thehockeyguru

Postby thehockeyguru » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:49 pm

Scuderi is the contract I try to get off the books at all costs even if you buy him out. Let these young guys get NHL experience now. Letang, Maata, Cole, and Lovejoy are locks for next season. Use the bottom 2 spots for Pouliot / Domoulin / Harrington / Chorney if they bring him back.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:50 pm

I've said this before, but my plan as GM would be to just accept that the next 2-3 years are a re-tooling period. Don't make any big splashes in free agency (not that there's anybody really appealing to sign anyhow); don't trade any high picks; unload the contracts of underperforming veterans where you can. Then, you hope you have set yourself up for a 2nd window of being a contender when you've got the big four in their early 30s, some younger prospects (hopefully) making their way onto the team, and enough cap space to add important missing pieces.
Isn't this what has happened? All deals caming in via free agency were one year deals. All trades coming in have one year left after this year or are UFA at season's end.
I think so to an extent. I was thinking more of the in-season trades...the Perron and Winnik trades in particular were moves that a contender makes. Maybe you could put the Despres/Lovejoy trade in that category too.

I was also thinking about any hypothetical plans to fix the top-6 this summer. I'm saying we just accept that it's not going to be fixed in the short-term, and thus, the Pens are not contenders in the short term. The Pens will probably have the cap space to go after a high-price forward this summer. I'm cautioning against thinking we're one decent top-6 winger away from the Cup, so it's fine to overpay to get that. Doing what Rutherford did last summer signing guys with question marks to short-term, cheap contracts is still fine. I'm saying that the Pens should sit on the extra cap space if nothing appealing is available and try to develop from within a bit.
10-4

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:54 pm

Scuderi is the contract I try to get off the books at all costs even if you buy him out. Let these young guys get NHL experience now. Letang, Maata, Cole, and Lovejoy are locks for next season. Use the bottom 2 spots for Pouliot / Domoulin / Harrington / Chorney if they bring him back.
Yeah, I think Scuderi is an easy buyout...as it doesn't hurt us too much...I just wonder if management is willing...the only two buyouts I can recall, and I think they were both one-third jobs because of they were under 26, were Endicott and Caron...LeClair was mutual termination, so that doesn't count...I can't think of any others...
Last edited by mikey on Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:55 pm

Yeah, I think Scuderi is an easy buyout...as it doesn't hurt us too much...I just wonder if management is willing...
917k for 4 seasons.

thehockeyguru

Postby thehockeyguru » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:08 pm

Yeah, I think Scuderi is an easy buyout...as it doesn't hurt us too much...I just wonder if management is willing...
917k for 4 seasons.
Whats the alternative? Put him on waivers and if no one claims him they can send him down and his cap hit wont be counted?

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:11 pm

917k for 4 seasons.
Whats the alternative? Put him on waivers and if no one claims him they can send him down and his cap hit wont be counted?
his cap hit still counts

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:12 pm

Only other alternative to buying him out that I can think of other than trading him would be convincing him to retire.

He signed his contract at age 34, so it doesn't qualify for the 35+ contract stipulations, and the cap hit would disappear (Pens would still need to pay him the salary, but no cap hit).

thehockeyguru

Postby thehockeyguru » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:15 pm

Only other alternative to buying him out that I can think of other than trading him would be convincing him to retire.

He signed his contract at age 34, so it doesn't qualify for the 35+ contract stipulations, and the cap hit would disappear (Pens would still need to pay him the salary, but no cap hit).
I was under the impression that if he is sent to WBS (no one claims him on waivers), the pens pay him his contract but it doesnt count towards the cap.

The Rangers did this with Wade Redden.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:17 pm

No, that's incorrect.

They got rid of that with the new CBA. I think it would only take off something like 600k of his cap hit.

Pitts

Postby Pitts » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:18 pm

I am curious to see what this offseason brings. There really isnt much on the UFA front to upgrade the Top 6. Until the Top 6 is upgraded this team isnt going anywhere.
There will be teams that will have to make a few moves dependent upon the cap. Opportunities will open up. Also, at some point, Edmonton HAS to move one of those top forwards for defense or goalie.
That is certainly a wild card. Look at the Rangers. They have 10M in cap space: St Louis is a UFA, Stepan is a RFA, Hagelin is a RFA, JT Miller is a RFA, and they have Kevin Hayes next season being an RFA and Cam Talbot being a UFA. Teams are certainly going to have prioritize and some names that arent on the market now may be available.
Chicago will have to make decisions as well - Sharp or Saad could be moved on the cheap. There will be options.

thehockeyguru

Postby thehockeyguru » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:21 pm

No, that's incorrect.

They got rid of that with the new CBA. I think it would only take off something like 600k of his cap hit.
You're right, I was looking at the 2005 CBA. In that case, I still think you put him on waivers. If no one claims him I would buy him out at the 917k a year for the next 4 seasons.

thehockeyguru

Postby thehockeyguru » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:26 pm

I am curious to see what this offseason brings. There really isnt much on the UFA front to upgrade the Top 6. Until the Top 6 is upgraded this team isnt going anywhere.
There will be teams that will have to make a few moves dependent upon the cap. Opportunities will open up. Also, at some point, Edmonton HAS to move one of those top forwards for defense or goalie.
That is certainly a wild card. Look at the Rangers. They have 10M in cap space: St Louis is a UFA, Stepan is a RFA, Hagelin is a RFA, JT Miller is a RFA, and they have Kevin Hayes next season being an RFA and Cam Talbot being a UFA. Teams are certainly going to have prioritize and some names that arent on the market now may be available.
Chicago will have to make decisions as well - Sharp or Saad could be moved on the cheap. There will be options.
I would take Sharp for the next two seasons. I thought we were close to doing a Kunitz or Sharp at some point this season?

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:28 pm

No, that's incorrect.

You're right, I was looking at the 2005 CBA. In that case, I still think you put him on waivers. If no one claims him I would buy him out at the 917k a year for the next 4 seasons.
But if you convince him to retire, because he doesn't have much left, you don't get stuck with any cap hit.

thehockeyguru

Postby thehockeyguru » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:31 pm

No, that's incorrect.

But if you convince him to retire, because he doesn't have much left, you don't get stuck with any cap hit.
What incentive is there for him to do that? If he retires it voids his contract and he doesnt earn a penny. At least if he gets bought out from his standpoint he still gets paid.

Kraftster

Postby Kraftster » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:31 pm

Source of the post I'd be fine with a 3rd line of Perron, Sutter, and Dupuis if healthy.
This seems wildly understated. That would be an incredible third line. How many top-six players league wide are better than Perron and Dupuis?

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:34 pm

there are no reasonable scenarios where scuderi retires before his contract is up

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:36 pm

No, that's incorrect.

You have to put a player on waivers to initiate the buyout process anyhow...

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:48 pm

1. Convince Scuderi to retire
2. Hire him as "hockey consultant", where he makes exactly what he would if he were still playing
3. No cap hit, Scuderi makes his money
4. ??????
5. We still lose in the first round

meecrofilm

Postby meecrofilm » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:48 pm

I'm going to go out on this limb:

Beau Bennett has played his last game in a Pens uniform.
If you're implying he'll be moved this off-season (and not both that + never getting back in these playoffs), I hardly think that's going out on a limb.

thehockeyguru

Postby thehockeyguru » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:12 pm

2. Hire him as "hockey consultant", where he makes exactly what he would if he were still playing
4. ??????
I thought you were going to bring this dicussion full circle by proposing that he be named Assistant General Manager.

thehockeyguru

Postby thehockeyguru » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:16 pm

Source of the post I'd be fine with a 3rd line of Perron, Sutter, and Dupuis if healthy.
This seems wildly understated. That would be an incredible third line. How many top-six players league wide are better than Perron and Dupuis?
My only hesitation is that Dupuis hasnt played a whole lot of hockey the past two seasons. But given his age, that may not be a bad thing. I hope his health is in order and he is 100% come 2015-16 because that would be a mean 3rd line.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:38 pm

4. ??????
I thought you were going to bring this dicussion full circle by proposing that he be named Assistant General Manager.
maybe, but he has to get really good at swearing at Rossi

TheHammer24

Postby TheHammer24 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:50 pm

4. ??????
Hahaha. That was good. :thumb:

wallflower

Postby wallflower » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:27 pm

Yeah, I think Scuderi is an easy buyout...as it doesn't hurt us too much...I just wonder if management is willing...the only two buyouts I can recall, and I think they were both one-third jobs because of they were under 26, were Endicott and Caron...LeClair was mutual termination, so that doesn't count...I can't think of any others...
Gosh, you pretty much said exactly what I was going to say so... :thumb: to you, sir.