Crosby or Malkin, who would you keep?

If the Pens can only keep one, who would you prefer to keep?

Crosby
37%
Malkin
63%

Total votes: 51
count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:44 am

There's a fair bit of talk about one or both leaving with the way the team is currently structured/coaches/organizational disarray... Simple/complex question of who would you rather keep on the team? Crosby or Malkin?

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:46 am

The answer is self evident.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:47 am

I kept Malkin - based on size, and the fact that if he had real wingers he'd be as good or maybe better *NOW* compared to Crosby.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:49 am

My homeboy

but trading either would be incredibly dumb

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:49 am

I actually voted Malkin as well... didn't think that would be as popular of a choice (still early in the poll). I can imagine Malkin aging better than Crosby.

thehockeyguru

Postby thehockeyguru » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:50 am

My homeboy

Why? Shouldnt that depend on the return?

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:52 am

My homeboy

Why? Shouldnt that depend on the return?
I also think this discussion should be happening with the 42 members of management has. They've missed the play-offs and have been bounced the past 4 years early, I think the discussion is relevant.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:54 am

Not for people that are of the mindset that if you're giving up the best player in the deal, then you've lost the deal...which would unquestionably be the case here...

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:57 am

Not for people that are of the mindset that if you're giving up the best player in the deal, then you've lost the deal...which would unquestionably be the case here...
Is there ever a time when this isn't going to be the case? At what point does their age matter vs. cap structure vs. team needs? I'm not disagreeing, I'm just curious as to how that all plays out.

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:59 am

Crosby 100%

thehockeyguru

Postby thehockeyguru » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:00 am

Is there ever a time when this isn't going to be the case? At what point does their age matter vs. cap structure vs. team needs? I'm not disagreeing, I'm just curious as to how that all plays out.
Its a unique situation. The Pens arent in a total rebuild, they are financially distressed, and Malkin / Crosby havent demanded a trade. They are in a position where they dont have to make a trade, but can listen to offers. This puts them in a much better position than teams that are forced to unload the best player.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:04 am

malkin at his best is better than everyone else in the world. he also has the tools to fight through the type of bulls*** interference that comes around as the playoffs progress. he was much better than sid against boston and much better against new york last year. also much better against detroit in 09.

no knock on sid, but if there's a game 7 against a tight team, he's not the one.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:07 am

The team is going to need its best player(s)...it would have to be one hell of a return to even consider something like this...I mean, we're upset with one of these guys because he's having the worst year of his career and is still going to lead the NHL in scoring...just give that a second to stew around...

What possible reasonable return could you get without destroying this team and the team getting Crosby...? I can't think of a reasonable scenario...

Idle discussion on a message board is what it is, but this is really kind of a waste of time to consider I think...you want to be the GM that traded Sidney Crosby...? Not something I'd want on my resume...

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:09 am

What do you think Edmonton would give up to get Crosby?

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:13 am

The team is going to need its best player(s)...it would have to be one hell of a return to even consider something like this...I mean, we're upset with one of these guys because he's having the worst year of his career and is still going to lead the NHL in scoring...just give that a second to stew around...

What possible reasonable return could you get without destroying this team and the team getting Crosby...? I can't think of a reasonable scenario...

Idle discussion on a message board is what it is, but this is really kind of a waste of time to consider I think...you want to be the GM that traded Sidney Crosby...? Not something I'd want on my resume...

Well the nice thing is that I think even with the message board speculation, the Pens wouldn't trade Crosby. It'd be Malkin 100% and he's just another enigmatic Euro.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:14 am

Crosby without question. Sid has definitely had some odd, bad luck injuries during his career, but Malkin is almost 30 and still looks like he needs a UN care package. He takes a lot of wear and tear and I can definitely see him wearing down in his mid-30's.

The whole "giving up the best player in the deal, then you've lost the deal" is complete nonsense to me. It's about building a sustainable, functioning team with depth, not hoarding superstars.

This team will never win another cup with both Crosby and Malkin on the roster. Its financially impossible to build the depth necessary to win a championship with 25 million tied up in three players and the Penguins have no valuable entry level contract contributors at forward thanks to Shero's obsession with drafting defenseman and the team trading away first round picks in an attempt to build championship depth cheaply at the deadline.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:14 am

What do you think Edmonton would give up to get Crosby?
Klinkhammer and a first

Craig

Postby Craig » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:26 am

Letang would be moved keep both centers.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:46 am

I understand the thinking behind trading one of them, but I haven't been this bummed about trade talks since Kris Beech came to town.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:54 am

Not at age 27 and 28.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:09 am

If I had to trade one of them, it would be Crosby. I'd keep Malkin.

edit: LOL - post #71

Tico Rick

Postby Tico Rick » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:10 am

You don't trade any of these guys for hockey reasons, but if I had a gun to my head and had to choose between Geno and Sid, I'd trade Sid, simply because the style of hockey he plays brings with it a lot of wear and tear, and for that reason I don't think Sid will have as long a career as Geno.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:14 am

Whichever gave me the best return I guess? Sucks to even think about.

Not that I want to do it, but it may be best for the long term viability of this team.

Staggy

Postby Staggy » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:18 am

Neither, but if forced I would keep Crosby. He's younger, cheaper, and less injury prone. These guys are so similar production wise that these factors would probably make me lean Crosby.

bhflyhigh

Postby bhflyhigh » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:37 pm

I don't think they should trade either one, and I don't think they will.
If forced though, I'd keep Geno as I enjoy watching him a little more than Sid.