Fire MJ

mikey

Fire MJ

Postby mikey » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:17 pm

I understand and agree. Perron had a little more pepper in his gumbo when he first got here too...which happens. But Perron's a hard working player, I don't doubt he'll come up big when the time comes...

Craig

Fire MJ

Postby Craig » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:22 pm

I have tons of doubts about him. He was in siberia for a long time afterall. Hopefully he can contribute.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Fire MJ

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:27 pm

I really like Perron. He's been in a scoring slump but he hasn't been ineffective. He doesn't mind getting in people's faces and is a sneaky big hitter.

He's what this team needs in terms of personality come playoff time.

mikey

Fire MJ

Postby mikey » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:47 pm

The tough thing can be if there's too many of these, "ah, screw it, I'm going to the net" guys on lines...Hornqvist is the best and he will beat everyone there and do a better job. Kunitz is this type of player or was...and Perron does that...and Downie goes to the left post to get most of his goals as well...

That's why Comeau had been effective for a time because we had those different elements working better in unison...Comeau stays out in the high slot and will hang there...Perron is not really a distance finisher though, Hornqvist certainly isn't, he's a goal-line back...Kunitz is probably the best shot at this, but he's been pretty feckless overall...so we really need to become more and more focused on our cycle game because the offense is going to need to be manufactured...organic creation is a lot more limited now...but when you get into the cycle game, you're usually in dump mode...the thing about dumping the puck in is that you need the speed on the wings to get there in a timely fashion...Hornqvist, Perron, Comeau, Downie, Kunitz, Spaling, Bennett are all not particularly fast skaters...Crosby is by the far the fastest of the useful players, if Crosby is F1, it's unlikely that he has the puck in the NZ, which we can't have happen...because the wingers we have can't carry, Letang is out...that leaves Malkin, Martin and to a lesser extent Sutter as the only three-zone carriers...it's a tough situation to be in...

This is why you can have too much of a good thing...it's nice that every player is willing to be a goalie's pinata in front, but someone has to do something else on these lines as well...we'll have a traffic jam near the blue paint, but no high support...or not enough...and when you cross the blueline, you'll have Perron and Hornqvist just coursing towards the net-front, they might clunk heads at the apex...

The silver lining is, we have power backs in this no-skill NHL version that we're in now...Crosby and Malkin may be hindered, but they're two of the more adaptable players in the league...we're actually more built for clutch and grab than any time I can recall...

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Fire MJ

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:03 pm

I don't think Perron goes to the front of the net nearly as much as Hornqivst...does he? It doesn't seem like it, maybe I haven't been paying attention.

Kunitz and Downie definitely do it though.

When Perron had that hot streak when he started, it reminded me of Comeau's start. They'd just sit in the slot and then Malkin/Crosby would give them the puck with a ton of time and space.

mikey

Fire MJ

Postby mikey » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:16 pm

No, no one does as much as Hornqvist. And that's probably by design. And that might be hurting his game a tiny bit...Perron has the tenacity and hands to be dangerous in front...I'm not sure that Perron's shot is good enough for him to be a real impactful scorer from 35 feet out...he can get the puck up in a hurry from in-close, but from distance, I don't feel he has enough pop to get it done reliably...not that many do, but...

Rylan

Fire MJ

Postby Rylan » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:43 pm

I wish Alex Semin didn't have an albatross of a contract and could be had for cheap to be Malkin's or Sid's winger.

mikey

Fire MJ

Postby mikey » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:46 pm

Not many players can score from distance like he can...

Rylan

Fire MJ

Postby Rylan » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:50 pm

Top 3 sniper in my opinion. Too bad he's an enigma.

Craig

Fire MJ

Postby Craig » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:47 pm

He isn't that. He may still have that talent but he is virtually done. I have no idea what happened to the guy. Underrated backhand too, lethal shot from anywhere.

Solidsnake

Fire MJ

Postby Solidsnake » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:07 pm

Playing for Carolina will do that to you.

Rylan

Fire MJ

Postby Rylan » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:40 pm

He isn't that. He may still have that talent but he is virtually done. I have no idea what happened to the guy. Underrated backhand too, lethal shot from anywhere.
How is he not an enigma? He has all the skill in the world.

Sarcastic

Fire MJ

Postby Sarcastic » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:48 pm

:cry:
I wouldn't fire him just to fire him, but if a solid coach is available I'd pull the switch. Mind you, it has to be an ass-kicker. No more nice guys. My issues with MJ are 1) seems too soft on the players. same guys make mistakes, they keep playing. 2) he is actually very bad at managing the bench. maybe he isn't familiar with these players enough, but time and time again i keep asking myself why, for example, are "these two" on the PK. I liked his system in month 1, so what happened to it? He either abandoned it or he isn't man enough to force these players to play it. Either way, there are definite issues, but I see his potential. Sucks for us that we don't have too much time to wait, as Sid and Geno aren't getting any younger. So like I said, I'd see who's available and go from there.

Morkle

Fire MJ

Postby Morkle » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:22 pm

What's this story about Malkin and Blake not happy I keep seeing?

MR25

Fire MJ

Postby MR25 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:30 pm

Must explain why he keeps signing there...

Staggy

Fire MJ

Postby Staggy » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:48 pm

I saw Semin scored his 6th goal of the year tonight and I just assumed he had missed 60 games. Hard to believe he can't find a way to score a goal every 3 games (or 4 or 5 or 6 or 7...) with his shot. Dude was a nightmare in '09 when he'd unleash a rocket from the slot. Lucky enough for us, he seemed more interested in trying to shatter the glass during that series.

mikey

Fire MJ

Postby mikey » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:57 pm

What's this story about Malkin and Blake not happy I keep seeing?
Because when people argue about something while doing something competitive and/or emotional it means that they hate each other and the coach has lost control and Russians are enigmatic and Crosby should have the "C" removed from his jersey and be referred to as Sidney Rosby from now...

Or, it's probably nothing...

Craig

Fire MJ

Postby Craig » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:17 pm

Keeps?

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Fire MJ

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:28 pm

Crosby should have the "C" removed from his jersey and be referred to as Sidney Rosby from now
why have I not heard this one before?

MR25

Fire MJ

Postby MR25 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:36 pm

Keeps?
Signed a 1 year deal in 2012 and signed a 5 year extension in 2013.

Maybe keeps was the wrong word, but he chose to play in Carolina. The venue isn't affecting how he plays, especially since the time when he scored 40 in 09-10. Hasn't passed 30 since, and hasn't touched 55+ points since.

Craig

Fire MJ

Postby Craig » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:44 pm

Yeah i agree...he just seems to be done. Probably the most extreme example of what is happening to the league.

TheHammer24

Fire MJ

Postby TheHammer24 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:26 am

I'm not expert, but isn't this exactly why the James Neal trade was bad? Hornqvist is one of the best players at what he does, and what he does is something that we desperately needed. Unsurprisingly, though, acquiring him opened a new gaping hole -- a need for players that can finish from mid-range. I understand Hornqvist and Neal's production has been similar, but it feels like to me you can manufacture what Hornqvist does even if other players are less effective. You can't fake elite finishing.

thehockeyguru

Fire MJ

Postby thehockeyguru » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:32 am

I'm not expert, but isn't this exactly why the James Neal trade was bad? Hornqvist is one of the best players at what he does, and what he does is something that we desperately needed. Unsurprisingly, though, acquiring him opened a new gaping hole -- a need for players that can finish from mid-range. I understand Hornqvist and Neal's production has been similar, but it feels like to me you can manufacture what Hornqvist does even if other players are less effective. You can't fake elite finishing.
I dont know how you can say their is a scoring void left by Neal and then go on to say their numbers (Neal and Hornqvist) are very similar. What is glaring to me is neither Crosby nor Malkin have 30 goals and Kunitz doesnt have 20.

TheHammer24

Fire MJ

Postby TheHammer24 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:35 am

Because Neal + (one of the guys that go to the net) > all the guys that go to the net. Mikey's point, I think, is that there a glut of goal scoring because so many people are going to the net, stealing production from each other and not getting scoring from the middle of the attack zone.

thehockeyguru

Fire MJ

Postby thehockeyguru » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:45 am

Because Neal + (one of the guys that go to the net) > all the guys that go to the net. Mikey's point, I think, is that there a glut of goal scoring because so many people are going to the net, stealing production from each other and not getting scoring from the middle of the attack zone.
I would tend to agree with that if we werent getting chances. The problem I have seen of late is finishing.