15-16 Fantasy Football thread

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:55 pm

Antonio Gates is a bad person.

Orlando Penguin

Postby Orlando Penguin » Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:12 pm

In other news, want to get the opinion of those who play - a league that has matchups each week in which everyone plays each other once (14 teams) uses points and not head-to-head as tiebreakers for regular season money and playoff matchups. Thoughts?
I didn't know there was an alternative. It should always be points. The one-time matchup has nothing to do with anything.
So if the one-time matchup has nothing to do with anything, then why have them? I still haven't been convinced by anyone's argument.
Because we play against another team because that's the nature of sport. We like to have individual games as opposed to a mass coagulation of points at the end of the year. However, it really is those points that show who was the better team. Because if you end up tied with me in the standings but the week we played, half your team was on bye, then it wasn't really your team that I beat...so you end up missing the playoffs on a scheduling "conflict"...

The matchup itself is meaningless other than it provides some measuring stick on a weekly basis...why that would be a random.tiebreaker is beyond me or anyone I have ever played in a real league with...
So I ask the question again - what do you say to the person who goes 5-8 and misses the playoffs but has the 3rd-most points in the league? Tell him that's too bad because of the matchup? Seems very opposite thinking to me.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:28 pm

In other news, want to get the opinion of those who play - a league that has matchups each week in which everyone plays each other once (14 teams) uses points and not head-to-head as tiebreakers for regular season money and playoff matchups. Thoughts?
I didn't know there was an alternative. It should always be points. The one-time matchup has nothing to do with anything.
So if the one-time matchup has nothing to do with anything, then why have them? I still haven't been convinced by anyone's argument.
Because we play against another team because that's the nature of sport. We like to have individual games as opposed to a mass coagulation of points at the end of the year. However, it really is those points that show who was the better team. Because if you end up tied with me in the standings but the week we played, half your team was on bye, then it wasn't really your team that I beat...so you end up missing the playoffs on a scheduling "conflict"...

The matchup itself is meaningless other than it provides some measuring stick on a weekly basis...why that would be a random.tiebreaker is beyond me or anyone I have ever played in a real league with...
So I ask the question again - what do you say to the person who goes 5-8 and misses the playoffs but has the 3rd-most points in the league? Tell him that's too bad because of the matchup? Seems very opposite thinking to me.
Yeah, honestly.

Don't get me wrong...I'm always in the running for top scorer in my leagues. But I think it'd be less fun if we just did "most points wins"

What's the point of playoff matchups then?

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:39 pm

Foundation of sport/competition vs. tiebreaking procedures. Best teams will often survive both. Rare cases occur where it doesn't happen, of course. But if you don't like it, run a rotisserie league that no one will join... :slug:

Orlando Penguin

Postby Orlando Penguin » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:03 pm

Well, thanks for the input. I guess I'll just have to be forced to not understand the way it works. And most likely, I'm gonna just have to resign from this particular league unless it changes. Yeah, it smacks of taking my ball and going home but if one doesn't agree with the rules and how things are fleshed out in the end, then why be involved with it?

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:08 pm

That's certainly well within your right...surprised it's over a tiebreaking procedure that is done correctly by really any measure. The only way I could rationally see the matchup thing making sense is if you're in a huge league and there's divisions and you play the people in your division twice or something like that...then fine, I suppose.

But two ships passing in the night at random when their lineups are artificially altered by other circumstances deciding a tiebreaker (and nothing else) OR taking the better team...it's a layup from my perspective...but you do what you gotta do...there's certain little things that I don't like in some leagues as well...if you don't like it, don't do it...(or don't tie with anyone :p)...

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:29 am

Sounds like tough titties mang

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:44 pm

Cousins
I hope you didn't listen to me and are losing.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:21 am

Cousins
I hope you didn't listen to me and are losing.
=(

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:01 am

Gonna play Brees

GO BIG OR GO HOME

dodint

Postby dodint » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:04 am

Amendola out. Haha. Never change.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:26 pm

Cardinals defense brought me back

As long as DT and Will Tye have average games, I should win

Orlando Penguin

Postby Orlando Penguin » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:55 pm

That feeling you get when the Cards D gets you 40 points and makes your bonehead decision of sitting Deangelo and Baldwin a little less painful. Of course, if the Giants don't put a harness on AP, it's back to nervous time tomorrow nite.

Staggy

Postby Staggy » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:25 am

I need 14 points out of AJ Green to win my big money championship. Doable but unlikely. Nothing like watching the Arizona defense scoregasm on your bench as KC can't do anything against Johnny effing Manziel.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:58 am

Played Amari Cooper and Martavis Bryant in a championship game...they combined for 21 less points than my kicker...oh well...when you build your team on RBs (Bell, Forte, Foster and Stewart) that are all felled, you're lucky to get to a championship game as it is...

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:38 am

12 team, no ppr

my RBs suck but I'm fine with everything else
That's risky drafting in a no ppr. I'm curious how it will end up doing.
won the league

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:34 am

Won 1 league, finished 2nd in another, missed the playoffs in big money league tho. And I of course put up 162 points even with playing a running back who was put on IR this week. The guy who won the championship only had 17 more points, so with a savvy pick up I could have won. But as a consolation prize I get the 7th pick, and thus a middle of the pack pick in every round of next years draft :thumb:

Kinda sucks because as I was watching that game Sunday focused in on Aaron Rogers losing me one league, I didn't even realize Arizona's D was winning me the other until I checked the score late sunday night. So even the fun of winning one was sucked out of it.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:39 am

12 team, no ppr

my RBs suck but I'm fine with everything else
That's risky drafting in a no ppr. I'm curious how it will end up doing.
won the league
Because of Blair Walsh. Don't pretend like you won by more than 20... :fist:

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:30 am

I dropped Walsh for John Brown a long time ago

Da true MVP was Brees

MR25

Postby MR25 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:41 pm

Once again, I outscored all but one team this week now that I am sitting outside of the playoffs.

My luck is ****. I'd likely be in the finals had I had better luck during the regular season.

Orlando Penguin

Postby Orlando Penguin » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:23 pm

Won my big money league (thanks to 40 points from the Cards D) and came in 3rd (for my money back) in the league where I lost the regular season title due to bad tiebreakers (see earlier in this thread). This will likely end my season-long fantasy career so it's a good way to go out.

Staggy

Postby Staggy » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:15 pm

Just saw that Deangelo Williams got credited with a lost fumble. Comforting to know that now I only lost by .6 instead of 2.6.