Fantasy Hockey Discussion

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:39 pm

I put Nick Backstrom on IR and picked up Mike Smith. I like the pickup so far.

Dropped Fowler and picked up Jason Garrison. I know it's kinda the flavor of the week, but as you said, D is easiest production to replace.

Also put Couture (who got hurt today in practice) on IR+ and picked up Jagr. 4 goals to this point, might as well. Need the shots category.

Craig

Postby Craig » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:45 pm

Fowler isn't that exciting to me as a fantasy player so that seems like a good pickup.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:29 am

Fowler is not as good on the PP as he is at ES...looks less comfortable with the man advantage for whatever reason...fine to move on from him...

MR25

Postby MR25 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:53 pm

I'm losing in GAA because my opponent has Jimmy Howard, who played like 5 minutes and didn't even face a shot but still gets credit for a 0.00 GAA.

That seems dumb.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:57 pm

Actually just looked. Mrazek played 59:10 or something like that. Unless they put in Howard for like 5 seconds, he didn't play tonight, and shouldn't have credit for any goalie stats.

Now I'm slightly angry.

Craig

Postby Craig » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:58 pm

This is why people so often have goalie appearance requirements. That will not matter at all once someone has a goalie actually start.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:20 pm

But Howard never touched the ice.

Craig

Postby Craig » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:39 pm

But more importantly...who cares?

MR25

Postby MR25 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:46 pm

I think it's bullshit for a player to get credit for a stat when he never touched the ice.

Kraftster

Postby Kraftster » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:35 am

You are overreacting. It isn't a flat 0.00 GAA on a 1:1 with a 60 minute GAA stat. Any reputable league (which I guess I'll even include Yahoo! in) weights it by minutes.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:32 am

Beyond that, which is correct. Yahoo will correct that. As Howard did not play last night to my knowledge. Blashill pulled Mrazek with 0:50 left for the extra skater...

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:51 am

Anyone ever do a no goalies fantasy league? I'm a little irritated at my current league because there are 9 player categories and 7...7!...goalie categories.

Now I'll admit, if my goalies were performing better I might not care, but that ratio seems too out of whack.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:46 am

Are thee even enough goalie stats to fill 7 categories?

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:52 am

W, L, GAA, Save%, Saves, Shots Against, Shutouts...?

That is highly disproportionate though for sure...don't approve.

Kraftster

Postby Kraftster » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:55 am

I've got a real conundrum in my big league right now. Goalies in this league are extremely hard to come by. In part, it's due to a high limit on farm eligibility (100 GP) for goalies, which allows teams to hoard "prospects" and basically secure the crease for every team, at least where the back up doesn't have a ton of experience.

12-team, H2H Points league. Average rosterable goalie points are probably around 1.8-1.9 per game, skaters are probably in the 1.1-1.2 territory. There's a stupid rule that you can only roster 4 pro goalies.

My goalies are Craig Anderson, Roberto Luongo, Jaro Halak, and Kari Ramo. On the farm I have, Thomas Greiss, Andrew Hammond, and Chad Johnson.

Problem is, Greiss just hit 101 games last night, so I have until the start time tonight to either drop Greiss or Ramo, trade Greiss or Ramo, or in theory, trade Halak and Greiss, Anderson, or Luongo.

Oddly, Greiss played 6 of 14 games in November, so he's really eating into Halak's starts right now. I'm 7-0, and the conservative course would quite clearly be keeping Greiss paired with Luongo on my pro team and moving one of the other goalies. Ramo stands out as the least solid option in terms of team and situation, but I do kind of like him to keep the job in Calgary with Ortio not really threatening this year and since Hiller sucks.

I've put feelers out on interest in Ramo, and the real problem is that most teams have four pro goalies, which means they need to cut one to take Ramo on, so that limits my options. Further limiting my options is the fact that it's Calgary's starter, with Hiller behind him, and he just hasn't been that good this year.

With that said, I have the following offers on the table for Ramo:

Ramo for Frans Nielsen or Mathieu Perreault
Ramo + Chad Johnson for Nielsen or Perreault and Matthew O'Connor

Johnson's just been a stash for me, probably gets replaced by Ullmark next year. O'Connor further secures Ottawa's crease for me, and gives me a guy with much better upside than Johnson, if I'm willing to sit on him. So, I'd probably opt for that deal.

I don't think I can get anything for Greiss, but he'll certainly be picked up right away if he hits waivers.

---------

tl;dnr

Anyone particularly high on Ramo the rest of the way? Seems like the Flames, although bad, should be due for a bit of regression here, and he's played reasonably well in November.

Does this Greiss starting 40% of games things last?

Prefer Greiss + Perreault/Nielsen + O'Connor on your team or Ramo + Chad Johnson?

@meow -- what do you think of O'Connor's upside?

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:29 am

Source of the post Thomas Greiss, Andrew Hammond, and Chad Johnson.
All of these guys are bad. Really bad. And then Ramo is kind of all over the place.

Ramo for Perrault is a steal I think...and then just draft some goalies going forward...

For the record, I have limited exposure to O'Connor, but he strikes me as a big guy that lets a lot through his body still...you wonder how quickly he can figure that out, if at all...can't hurt to add him as he's a throw-in value wise in the Ramo+OchoCinco for Perreault and MOC deal anyhow...there's only one player of value there...

Kraftster

Postby Kraftster » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:09 am

Source of the post Thomas Greiss, Andrew Hammond, and Chad Johnson.
All of these guys are bad. Really bad. And then Ramo is kind of all over the place.

Ramo for Perrault is a steal I think...and then just draft some goalies going forward...

For the record, I have limited exposure to O'Connor, but he strikes me as a big guy that lets a lot through his body still...you wonder how quickly he can figure that out, if at all...can't hurt to add him as he's a throw-in value wise in the Ramo+OchoCinco for Perreault and MOC deal anyhow...there's only one player of value there...
Ha. I'm not surprised it's cringe-worthy for you to see those three names.

I prefer the Perreault deal too, mainly because he is a winger and W>C. He seems to have a top-six role locked up this year and next in Winnipeg, wouldn't you say? Ladd could leave this offseason and Petan doesn't look like a major threat for top six time right now. Nielsen is moderately intriguing as an upcoming UFA and producing at a nice clip so far this year (out producing Perreault to date), but he probably is what he is.

Thanks.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:04 am

I know Matt personally, so I am biased. He can be a top 15 NHL starter. Can be... He's got all the tools to do it. It's a matter of sacking up and doing it. I would bet on him.

The Islanders had a heavy workload November. I doubt Greiss keeps his play pace up.

Kraftster

Postby Kraftster » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:26 pm

Thanks, guys.

I decided to hold Ramo and trade Johnson for O'Connor.

When I analyzed the dates with game conflicts, Greiss just wouldn't have enough opportunity to actually get in for me, and Ramo at least has a chance to be a much more valuable asset around the league, whereas Greiss really only has value for me as the Halak owner.

Kraftster

Postby Kraftster » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:01 pm

So it's that time of year to speculate on guys who might see their profile rise dramatically at the WJC. HF covered Julius Nattinen today, and it sounds like he's transitioning well, and perhaps he could play a key role for Finland?

Anyone else under the radar that may burst onto the scene?

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:24 am

Tick off a notification for me in about two weeks on this, if that's not too late...

Kraftster

Postby Kraftster » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:16 pm

Will do. Thanks.

Kraftster

Postby Kraftster » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:43 pm

Kari Ramo probably doesn't have a place as a starter in the league after this year (UFA), right? I'm in 1st in my league where I own him, and my main focus is winning this year. He probably helps me do that more than Rick Nash, who is being offered to me for him, but going forward I would certainly rather have Nash.

Any thoughts?

mikey

Postby mikey » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:39 am

Other goalies?

Kraftster

Postby Kraftster » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:41 am

Other goalies?
Luongo, Halak, Anderson (Hammond and O'Connor on farm)

It's a keep 17 pro + 10 farm (<200 skt <100 g)