columbia

One Week Fantasy Leagues

Postby columbia » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:04 pm

You Aren't Good Enough to Win Money Playing Daily Fantasy Football
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... y-football

Craig

One Week Fantasy Leagues

Postby Craig » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:08 pm

Its hard to believe that guy only grinds out 8%.

Kraftster

One Week Fantasy Leagues

Postby Kraftster » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:10 pm

It certainly speaks to how much hedging needs to be done, which should be an indicator at just how tough the odds really are. I listened to an interview with maxdalury, and it is most certainly a job for him. Not sure how fun it would be at that point. The money, of course, would be nice.

Lately, I'm running into a pretty annoying trend in daily hockey on Fan Duel. A few times now I've played in 100 person 50/50s and have encountered duplicate lineups. This is not just people happening to select the same players. One night last week with a full slate of games, 47 of the 100 teams were identical. I suppose an argument could be made that this could make placing above the cash line even easier if the team does poorly, but this really changes the dynamic of the game.

The unregulated beast that is daily fantasy provides an interesting look at where things can (and will?) go if left unchecked.

Troy Loney

One Week Fantasy Leagues

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:35 pm

It certainly speaks to how much hedging needs to be done, which should be an indicator at just how tough the odds really are. I listened to an interview with maxdalury, and it is most certainly a job for him. Not sure how fun it would be at that point. The money, of course, would be nice.

Lately, I'm running into a pretty annoying trend in daily hockey on Fan Duel. A few times now I've played in 100 person 50/50s and have encountered duplicate lineups. This is not just people happening to select the same players. One night last week with a full slate of games, 47 of the 100 teams were identical. I suppose an argument could be made that this could make placing above the cash line even easier if the team does poorly, but this really changes the dynamic of the game.

The unregulated beast that is daily fantasy provides an interesting look at where things can (and will?) go if left unchecked.
Wow, if people are doing that, then they should just take those games off of the docket. That is BS.

Craig

One Week Fantasy Leagues

Postby Craig » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:44 pm

When i started seeing that i stopped playing. I will still play when they throw free games at me which is often, but they'll never get another cent from me.

Troy Loney

One Week Fantasy Leagues

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:57 pm

When i started seeing that i stopped playing. I will still play when they throw free games at me which is often, but they'll never get another cent from me.
It's essentially playing a rigged lottery when you enter the big games. I still think it's feasible to get a good return in the small scale games. I had a terrible week last week, but still have $35 to play with. I'm not sure what sort of bank roll you guys are playing with, I started with $25 this year. Cashed out $260, left myself $20, built it back to $100 then dropped back to $35. I think if I feel really good about a lineup, i'll enter a 50-100 winner take all game, but otherwise just play a lot of $1 leagues.

Craig

One Week Fantasy Leagues

Postby Craig » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:03 pm

In the past two months theyve given me a free $5 game twice. Won $12 on one of those and cashed out. They gave a free game this weekend that won me a $3 ticket which ill play next weekend.

Kraftster

One Week Fantasy Leagues

Postby Kraftster » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:28 pm

Wow, if people are doing that, then they should just take those games off of the docket. That is BS.
Yeah, it's been happening consistently in the $2 50/50 games on FD.

The thing that is telling to me about the fact that it's collusive in nature is that these entries are all going into the same game. You can't tell me there's not coordination there. Even in the less-played NHL games, there are too many games going to just happen to all land in the same one. The discussion of it over on rotogrinders has been that it's just a bunch of people playing a guy on twitter's suggested NHL lineup, but I don't believe that.

Kraftster

One Week Fantasy Leagues

Postby Kraftster » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:31 pm

It's essentially playing a rigged lottery when you enter the big games. I still think it's feasible to get a good return in the small scale games. I had a terrible week last week, but still have $35 to play with. I'm not sure what sort of bank roll you guys are playing with, I started with $25 this year. Cashed out $260, left myself $20, built it back to $100 then dropped back to $35. I think if I feel really good about a lineup, i'll enter a 50-100 winner take all game, but otherwise just play a lot of $1 leagues.
I agree you can make some money on the small scale small games. The $1 tournaments are tough unless you can find a single entry one. The $1 price promotes playing the wildcard lineup in the hopes of winning.

I entered with $30 total on both sites and was up to $66 at my high point. I've hit a rough stretch in NHL lately, but I'm getting a little burnt out on it, so I'm not spending as much time on my lineups.

mikey

One Week Fantasy Leagues

Postby mikey » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:57 pm

Trying to take advantage of some matchups in FD...

M.Hoffman
J.Zucker
M.Stone
V.Tarasenko
E.Kuznetsov
J.Lehtera
E.Karlsson
S.Gostisbehere
C.Anderson

mikey

One Week Fantasy Leagues

Postby mikey » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:58 pm

Pulled Martin Jones out of the lineup for Craig Anderson....thought I was gonna eat [poop] on that one...

Placed 9th out of 170...

Kraftster

One Week Fantasy Leagues

Postby Kraftster » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:58 am

Good calls. What did you see in the Sens/Jackets matchup? I had that one going the other way. I thought Bob was in when I made that call, but I don't think McH being in would've really caused me to flip.

mikey

One Week Fantasy Leagues

Postby mikey » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:10 am

McElhinney isn't really NHL caliber for me...so I figure the Sens would score...but the Sens aren't fast enough to generate much offense on their own usually, so it's gotta come from EK...I thought I was getting two assists from him, not two goals of course...but no complaints...

About an hour into the night, I really thought I still had Martin Jones in not Craig Anderson...I was relieved to find out that they both got shutouts somehow...

Also, I think there should be some games where there is a "bonus" play for "worst goalie of the night" - a salary-free add that provides 3 points if you pick the goalie with the worst stats of the night...

mikey

One Week Fantasy Leagues

Postby mikey » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:08 am

For whatever reason, the scoring hasn't tabulated yet but games have been over for like an hour...

Finished 2nd out of 170 tonight...

A.Panarin
J.Gaudreau
P.Kane
K.Palmieri
A.Anisimov
L.Draisaitl
J.Faulk
P.K.Subban
S.Darling

Comin' in hot...

Spangler
Location: Spangler the t-shirt; Spangler the lunchbox; Spangler the flamethrower!

One Week Fantasy Leagues

Postby Spangler » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:00 am

Ok I gotta vent one last time, so forgive me.

I decided to give it one more go and sign up for two more $1 leagues, and I'm being plagued by the exact same things every week. Missed money, once again, in both leagues by a combined total of 3 points. They are very small gains, but I hate losing.

So many fluky things are happening it's unreal. Brees and Eli put up video game numbers, slanting the rest of the league. Bell gets hurt early the very first time I play him. Was going to pick Antonio Brown last week, but Ben was NOT going to play, so I declined to pick him. Jones gets hurt immediately, and Ben is forced in as backup. Adrian Peterson has his worst game of the season the one week I pick him. Amendola hurts his knee freakin moving away from a fair catch; doesn't even get touched. He also gets a touchdown denied because the refs botched a blown whistle, which I've never seen in that situation before. Marshawn Lynch is inactive, so I immediately replace him with Charcandrick West (has been very productive of late), who then gets hurt early in the first half. This is only a small sample of the things that have happened.

Most of my games roll out to an excellent start after the 1pm games, stilling leaving me with 4-5 players for the remainder of the week. Then I slowly watch as every player either gets hurt or vastly underperforms (usually they get hurt).

I'm stepping away from these types of leagues for real this time.

Kraftster

One Week Fantasy Leagues

Postby Kraftster » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:59 am

Are you playing large tournaments? I don't think that's a format for feeling any other way than how you are feeling right now. Try some smaller leagues if you enjoy it and want to keep with it.

Spangler
Location: Spangler the t-shirt; Spangler the lunchbox; Spangler the flamethrower!

One Week Fantasy Leagues

Postby Spangler » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:15 pm

Yeah, they are big. Not the huge $10 ones, but still pretty big.

mikey

One Week Fantasy Leagues

Postby mikey » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:55 pm

Going FD tonight on hockey on a big night...

Lehtera
Drouin
Tarasenko
Kucherov
Stastny
Bellemare
Karlsson
Subban
Condon

Craig

One Week Fantasy Leagues

Postby Craig » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:52 pm

I decided to put $8 into draft Kings for week 1. Just as it went last year, the deposit for week 1 will be my budget for the whole year. A $3 game and a $5 multiplier game.

Troy Loney

One Week Fantasy Leagues

Postby Troy Loney » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:27 pm

What's a multiplier game?

Craig

One Week Fantasy Leagues

Postby Craig » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:56 pm

If you've done a 50/50, its the same idea. Set number of people win, all win by whatever the multiplier is. So say they let in 120 to a $5 10x multiplier game, 10 players win $50. Or whatever number of winners allow them to rake an acceptable profit after payout.

Kraftster

One Week Fantasy Leagues

Postby Kraftster » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:58 am

Are there any sort of come back to daily promos running anywhere with football season about to start?

Craig

One Week Fantasy Leagues

Postby Craig » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:11 am

The only thing insaw was with draftkings if you make a deposit they'll give you a ticket. Its like a $3 ticket though and it might have been 1 day only.

Troy Loney

One Week Fantasy Leagues

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:31 am

I put some money in to play week one. Any thoughts? It seems like the big bargains are at RB with Ware and C. Michael, guys I imagine most people will be playing.

Kraftster

One Week Fantasy Leagues

Postby Kraftster » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:49 am

Ware is a no brainer for sure. Marvin Jones seems like an equally likely WR play.

I thought Rawls was supposed to get heavy activity in Week 1?

I was torn between Carr and Winston at QB. Seems like Dak Prescott will be a trendy play at the floor price, but I don't think I'll be in on that.