Warz Championship (Battle Between 135 Communities): You're Invited!

Thingyman

Postby Thingyman » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:52 am

INVITATION TO THE MAFIA CHAMPIONSHIP (SEASON 4)

Hello everyone! :)

It's that time of year again. Season 4 of the Mafia/Warz Championship is upon us. Panther represented you guys very well last year and I am making this thread in the hopes that you'll be interested in being represented again.

The Mafia Championship is an annual online tournament series that pits representatives from various forum Mafia communities against one another as they compete to determine the Internet’s greatest forum Mafia player. Each participating community democratically elects one person to represent them and become their “Champion”.

Season 1 ran in 2013-2014, while Season 2 and Season 3 ran in 2015 and 2016, respectively. As of Season 3, a total of 160 communities have been represented in the Mafia Championship, making it the largest cross-forum event on the Internet.

1. Do you accept the invite?

If your community wishes to participate, please confirm your participation to me before April 16 to ensure yourselves a spot. If you need more time than this to think about whether you wish to participate, let me know and I can extend the deadline.

If you agree to participate, the deadline for selecting your representative is April 23. If this is too soon for you, again, just let me know :)

The games will take place on Mafia Universe.

The general discussion thread for S4: http://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/thr ... -Is-Now%21

Important notes
  • You may decide yourselves how you want to elect your representative, but we highly recommend some sort of democratic process (public nominations followed by a poll usually works out well).
  • In addition to electing a representative, you should also name an alternate who will be asked to step in if the first choice needs to back out.
  • Your representative should be prepared for having to read upwards of 500 posts per 24 hours during the early stages of the game. Additionally, there’s a requirement that each player must make at least 10 posts per Game Day. Only active players should apply/participate. I repeat: Your chosen player needs to be able to promise a good amount of activity on a daily basis.
  • Relevant only to communities that participated last season: Season 3 Finalists are not eligible to play again this season.
2. Season 4 Format

The tournament structure
  • 135 communities will participate, each sending one representative.
  • 9 Qualifying Games will be played consisting of 15 players each. I.e. every representative plays in one Qualifying Game. 1 player will advance directly to the Finale Game from each Qualifying Game. The players themselves vote post-game to determine who is deserving of advancement. I.e. 9 of the 15 finalists will be found this way.
  • A Jury consisting of finalists from Season 3 will along with me discuss and vote to determine a group of 30 wildcard players who will play in 2 Semi Final Wildcard Games. From each of these two games, three players will directly advance to the Finale Game.
  • The Finale Game is played. Once it has completed, the players vote to determine who shall hold the title of Season 4 Champion.
The setup

MOUNTAINOUS:
12 Vanilla Townies
3 Mafia Goons

We’re going back to basics for Season 4. Each season we’re changing it up, and for this season it’s finally time to play without any power roles or abilities at all. Pure mafia. You have only yourself and your reading/bluffing abilities to count on.

3. Season 4 Timeline

The first Qualifying Game is currently set to start April 24th. Additional games will take place in the 1-3 months following. I will create a Doodle and find out the best times to start the various games so that preferably everyone gets to play during a time that suits them well.

If you want to get in contact with me ASAP, you can find me on Skype (thingyman) or Discord (Thingyman#6075).
Last edited by Thingyman on Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thingyman

Postby Thingyman » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:55 am

Post here if you have anyone you want to nominate - or if you yourself would be willing to volunteer. It's tons of fun, and there'll be hundreds of people spectating each game :)

Thingyman

Postby Thingyman » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:27 am

Don't be scared.

It's super fun. Where else will you get the chance to potentially win a World Championship title? A chance to make a lot of new friends? A chance to have your whole community backing you and cheering you on? ;)

Thingyman

Postby Thingyman » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:00 pm

@Willie Kool

You are the hero we need, but don't deserve

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:14 pm

Your representative should be prepared for having to read upwards of 500 posts per 24 hours during the early stages of the game. Additionally, there’s a requirement that each player must make at least 10 posts per Game Day. Only active players should apply/participate. I repeat: Your chosen player needs to be able to promise a good amount of activity on a daily basis.
@Willie Kool

You are the hero we need, but don't deserve
:lol: Thanks man, but I just can't guarantee having that kind of time available. Work is too unpredictable right now. Some days I might have time to stay caught up, others I wouldn't even get to check the thread. Most of my evenings and weekends this spring/summer/fall will be spent working on the house. Most games here barely reach 500 posts total, so it's much easier to fit it in.

redwill

Postby redwill » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:55 pm

I wouldn't mind giving it a go, but, like WK, I could never commit to
Your representative should be prepared for having to read upwards of 500 posts per 24 hours during the early stages of the game. Additionally, there’s a requirement that each player must make at least 10 posts per Game Day. Only active players should apply/participate. I repeat: Your chosen player needs to be able to promise a good amount of activity on a daily basis.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:58 pm

I can't even make that promise to my wife.

Thingyman

Postby Thingyman » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:18 pm

@Willie Kool
@dodint
@redwill

Would any of you maybe be willing if you played in a game with 72 hour Day Phases and 24 hour Night Phases? Would that allow you enough time each day phase to make at least 10 posts and try to stay reasonably up to date (technically, it's not a requirement that you read all posts, just the 10 posts is a hard minimum requirement).

Thingyman

Postby Thingyman » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:19 pm

And it starts with 15 players. After first few day phases there aren't that many players left already, so it should be more managable from there.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:21 pm

Thanks. No chance, though. Have finals and moving house. Good luck, man.

Panther

Postby Panther » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:49 pm

I remember @malkinismyhomeboy being a relatively prolific poster and potentially college age-ish so potentially some more freedom?

Panther

Postby Panther » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:51 pm

Shameless notifications based on player base in most recent game

1) @slappybrown
2)
3) @columbia
4) @MR25
5) @shafnutz05
6)
7)
8) @Rylan
9) @Hockeynut!
10) @MWB
11) @Silentom
12) @CBear3
13) @willeyeam
14) @King Colby
15) @relantel
16) @Gaucho
17) @Algernon
18) @count2infinity
19) @BigMck

I remember a few of you being pretty darn sharp

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:54 pm

Wait...who is Panther?

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:58 pm

Greatest Seer ever checking in. Don't have time to commit to something as big. Also, I don't know who you are.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:59 pm

I have a job now and there's no way I'd be able to put that kind of effort forth on mobile.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:20 pm

no thanks I couldn't pull off a game like that with my schedule

Panther

Postby Panther » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:45 pm

Wait...who is Panther?
I played game of thrones warz in summer 2015ish as cupidstunt and then changed my username to something less childish.

Perpetual lurker but have been mostly removed bc I've played warz/mafia elsewhere. The initial intrigue of it is what caused me to ever register in the first place, oddly enough

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:51 pm

Ahh...nice. I would love to play, but work is just utter hell right now. Once things quiet down I would be down for a game. Can't commit to that.

Panther

Postby Panther » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:14 am

I'd be happy to run a game here if there was interest and a date that worked well for people. Have some fun and interesting setups and mechanics that'd probabaly be new here

Thingyman

Postby Thingyman » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:37 pm

I'll give this one day more to see if there are any volunteers

Crossing my fingers :)

Thingyman

Postby Thingyman » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:45 pm

Aight, looks like Panther is your man then :)

Thingyman

Postby Thingyman » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:18 pm

FINAL UPDATE

Your representative has been slotted into this game below.

GAME 11 @ JUNE 12 (36/12 Phase Lengths w/ 4 PM EST deadline)
@Alohomora (Werwolf Online)
@Awaclus (Dominion Strategy)
@Boquise (MafiaManiac)
@deoxygenated (GreyWolf Amnesia)
@Helios Garabandia (Further Entertainment)
@Legion (PlayDota)
@myc (readmore)
@OP8 (MindRomp)
@Panther (Fifth Avenue Forum)
@PokemonKidRyan (Throne of Lies)
@Slaan (CivForum)
@Sooh (Dragonmount)
@SpaceMunkey82 (MyBroadband)
@Tigger (Boards.ie)
@User7 (MTG-Forum)

Do you wish to spectate and/or talk with players from other communities?
We have a big chat on Discord (300+ members) for those that want to spectate and talk about these games. The representatives will be added to this channel too after they die. Or if you just want to chat with people from other communities, we have a general chat too that is unrelated to the Mafia Championship.

1) CLICK HERE TO JOIN: https://discord.gg/zdeEhcg
2) Tag one of the red or blue people in the chat (write [MENTION=8963]Thingyman[/MENTION] or @staff for example), let them know who you are and from what community, and they'll give you the necessary permissions to see the spectator channel. This is necessary to avoid the wrong people (the representatives and their backups) joining the channel.

You don't need to have Discord installed in order to join the channel, as there is a web version.

Do you want to have your own private community spectator chat?
This is definitely both allowed and encouraged. However, I ask that you please do everything possible to make this chat private and inaccessible to your representative, backup and your representative's opponents. It's important that your thoughts and comments don't influence the game. In other words, please don't post about the game in public threads -- this is very important.

Where do I get more info?
Refer to this thread: http://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/thr ... -Is-Now%21

This thread will tell you all the details about this season. It also includes the list of participating communities and their representatives.

If you need to get in contact with me, my Skype is "thingyman" and my Discord is "Thingyman#6075". From this point on I will be checking in less on the various sites. I will make sure to pop in again though when your representative's game starts and post a link :)

Thingyman

Postby Thingyman » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:46 pm

The Championship Game Has Begun!

Hi guys!

Your representative's Mafia Championship game has started and it's still Day 1: http://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/thr ... ampionship

I wish them the best of luck.

Remember to please keep discussion of the game to private channels where the players wouldn't be able to see your comments on the game.

Also, if you want to spectate the game along with people from other communities, you can join the Discord server here (700+ people): https://discord.gg/zdeEhcg​

When you enter the server please tag and let the @staff know which community you are from and who you are cheering on and they'll give you access to the spectator channel :)