*** Mafia Wars -- Game-Play Thread ***

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:56 pm

Though, like I said, I don't even remember the exchange.

redwill

Postby redwill » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:10 pm

Some notes and thoughts:

First of all, I was disappoint that no one commented on my sign-up intro:

- Pikadakowpie, Iowa. "Pick at the cowpie." I thought about Eedadakowpie, but that doesn't really sound like an Iowa town, whereas Pikadakowpie kinda does.

- "Sforzza Chiaroscuro, alone among the caporegimes, was always seeing the dark along with the light." Artsy-fartsy reference.

- Dairy Queen. If you live in the midwest, every town large enough to have a restaurant is guaranteed to have at least a Pizza Hut and/or Dairy Queen. I thought about having the mafiosi eating at a Pizza Hut, but that was too obvious and I really think Italian-American mobsters eating a chicken-fingers-and-fries basket is much funnier than them eating a pizza or something. OTOH, having them eating at a Pizza Hut probably would have enraged slappybrown so much that it would have been worth it.

Game design:

- I gave willeyeam those particular powers so that he could thwart obhave without being too obvious. That worked out well, I think. I thought about throwing in a day or a night kill of his own, but thought that that was too much.

- I was initially worried that willeyeam and the three others would band together early and vote obhave out. They would then have a solid block of four reds with serious credibility in the eyes of the town. So I gave obhave the automatic day save to hinder that. In a way, that was the decider at the end. I mean, the reds might have still won, but that day save clinched it.

- Also, unbeknownst to the reds, if the other reds were a majority on any successful day kill of obhave, killing power would have gone to willeyeam, but with a one-night delay. In other words, they could not have killed the following night ("confusion in the ranks," blah blah).

- I worried about balance throughout the game. 5/12 reds was certainly a lot, but the betrayal element was in there. Also, I threw in the masons among the townies and the "investigate-then-can-communicate" between the greens.

Game thoughts:

- I hated to see WK killed Night 1. Not only 'cause he's a provocative player, but it left MR25 out in the cold when that was supposed to be one of my "balance" things.

- I think a lot hinged on the successful slappybrown kill. When that happened I immediately regretted the "can't protect yourself more than two nights in a row" rule. I actually put that in as an afterthought, 'cause, again, balance. Was wrong on that.

- IMO, willeyeam should not have pushed for obhave on the last day. I kept wondering if he forgot about her day save. That pretty much guaranteed an obhave victory, given that no one had any powers left to thwart her expected willeyeam kill. IMO, willeyeam should have led a charge for King Colby, especially after his loopy role claim. :wink:

Finally, thanks very much to dodint for helping me out after he died. He not only tallied votes, but was a sounding-board via PM.

obhave

Postby obhave » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:26 pm

I honestly can't remember what made us all feel that way, but something triggered it. Kind of a "dodint is claiming green, right?". Perfect target since any saves would be for the more obvious claims.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:29 pm

Well. I thought about that. But I made it pretty clear it was me or obhave to KC and rel. And I think going after KC, well, he didn't have any heat on him and I think I would have lost help from rel. Though I debated pretty much going completely rogue.

I knew I didn't have much of a chance there towards the end. My only hope was that my loyal (heh) followers didn't say anything to obhave about my dissent. Then we would have voted her off the next day after our night kill. But they snitched so here we are.

Definitely the hardest and most fun role I've had though. Thanks redwill

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:30 pm

I honestly can't remember what made us all feel that way, but something triggered it. Kind of a "dodint is claiming green, right?". Perfect target since any saves would be for the more obvious claims.
We sniffed three greens out so fast because of that

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:51 pm

Yeah, I went back and read that part of the thread. Makes sense.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:08 pm

How did you know he was green from just that snippet (I don't remember full context
At least three of us reds picked up on it spearately.
I selected my words very carefully there, I distinctly remember it. I'm known here for SCREAMING that I'm blue so dialing it back was probably a bad tell. Combine that with my plea to Hockeynut! and it was very foolish of me to not self protect that night. I got greedy because I thought if I could squeak by unscathed having it in my pocket would be huge later.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:26 pm

Redwill i thought you did a nice job with balance. Dodint had 3 powers... had he not been night 2 kill or had he protected himself the outcome of the game would have been way different. We didnt know at that point what the greens had. We would have thought dodint was the angel.

redwill

Postby redwill » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:29 am

Redwill i thought you did a nice job with balance.
The winners always say that. Haha.

But thanks.

relantel

Postby relantel » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:36 am

I had thought about, at least for a game the size this was when it started, of having two reds and one green to start, but allowing with certain conditions for other or others to be swayed to one side or the other. I also like the concept of the unconnected red. Makes the reds that are connected have to think a little more and play out in the open a little more. It might be fun to have a game where all the reds are unconnected...

redwill

Postby redwill » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:03 am

Someone mentioned that 2/3 of the players had roles. Technically, everyone had a role, given the townie masons.

It's a direction I've been going in recently: find at least a little role for everyone in order to encourage participation.

Also, willeyeam wasn't really unconnected. In motive he was, certainly, but not in action. That was the key for me: a player who is intimately involved yet is working against the group. You may remember my Wars of Beleriand on LGP. I gave Morgoth (mac5155) the CAPTURE power -- capturing anyone who investigated him. That didn't work out at all but was the impetus for willeyeam's role in this game: an actively participating member of a PM-ing group who is nonetheless working for the downfall of the group (or, in this case, just the leader).

Like you said, it makes one think a little more and not just accept the standard definitions of the game. Or at least that was what I was after.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:58 am

Source of the post It's a direction I've been going in recently: find at least a little role for everyone in order to encourage participation.
Not to shamelessly plug but this is the key feature of the game I want to run in February. What makes me nervous is that I have to have such a narrow number of players (13-15) or I'm not sure the balance will be there. Really nervous about it, actually, because although the underlying foundation is a normal Warz game I'm worried the mechanics of all the minor rolls will frustrate people. We'll see.
Source of the post You may remember my Wars of Beleriand on LGP.
Still probably my favorite game of my 'career', the colors drove people insane.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:59 am

I'm still disappointed in PFIDC for that.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:23 pm

I had to mod Super Mario Warz right after that, and everybody was trying to read way too much into what colors I picked for every character and if the reds were the same shade, etc.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:43 pm

On second thought, it was all PFIDC's fault.

relantel

Postby relantel » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:12 pm

I just remember BCS getting permabanned while he was modding a warz game, and trying to pick up the pieces.

columbia

Postby columbia » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:14 pm

He was a very good mod.