*** Jellyfish Invasion V Post Game Luau ***

the wicked child

Postby the wicked child » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:01 pm

Welcome to the Jellyfish Invasion V post game luau!

It was a game filled with many twists and turns. Even going into the last couple days there, I thought the slugs were going to win. Certainly, they had the numbers. However, a few key choices by the Jellies on who to target at night changed the course of the game. Even down to the last night, had CBear chosen Kicksave instead of willeyeam, the jellies would have won rather than ending in a tie. And had CBear come up instead of dodint the previous day, sloogs win.

I was somewhat disappointed in the actual level of participation in the early going... I've been somewhat out of the warz loop since the move to 5AF, but I can't recall the first days ever being that slow. Perhaps I am just getting old. :slug:

In terms of game design, I wanted to marry Jellyfish Invasion and Barnyard Battle. The slugs were effectively the 'alternate" faction from those games where there is one alpha who randomly recruits blues on odd nights, and each gets a random one time power.

Also, as always, the roles in JI were rooted in reality. For example, you can read all about the Borneo Ninja Slug here: http://gizmodo.com/5711526/this-weird-n ... tial-mates

The Jellies were basically a "greatest hits" edition from the prior 4 games.

Each previous game has included "packages" in some fashion or another. Given the smaller scope, I made the call to leave those out this time, as I felt there would be enough chaos from the 2 factions.

For the uninitiated, the Jellyfish Liason (intentional misspelling) stems from the very first JI where Azkar had a role where he could talk to dead players. malkintent fed him a bunch of lies, including saying that someone was a "jellyfish liason". I beleive it has been a part of the game ever since.

Now, without further adieu, lets meet your Role Players:

The Good:

The Inebriated Hobo (Angel), played by Willie Kool
Congratulations! You got a role in Jellyfish Invasion V!

You are The inebriated Hobo (Angel). Each night, you select the name of one player to shower in golden protection from the Jellyfish. You may protect the same person on back to back nights, including yourself.

Maggie the Monkey (Seer), played by Sam's Drunk Dog

You are Maggie the monkey (Seer). Each night, you spin your wheel to determine the identity of one player. You may NOT share this information with anyone until the next day phase.

The Spongebob (All-day Vigilante), played by Silentom
Congratulations! You got a role in Jellyfish Invasion V!!!

You are Spongebob (All-Day Vigilante)

People may have thought you were an innocent children's cartoon character, but your bloodlust for jellyfish knows no boundaries.

On even nights, you will gain a net which can be used to kill a player of your choosing. You can hold up to two nets at one time. Note that if you do not use a net the night a third net would be granted, it will be lost.

If you are attacked at night while holding a net, the attacker will also die.

But wait, there's more. You may also choose to use one of your nets during the day phase. Send a PM to the mod(s) indicating that you would like to do this and the phase will be interrupted and the selected player will be killed. The day phase will then continue among the :scared: that is sure to ensue.

Good hunting.
The Jellies:

Lion's Mane Jellyfish (Alpha), played by relantel

You are the Lion's Mane Jellyfish (Alpha). You are a large, godless killing machine... a true terror of the sea. None who dare to step into the great blue sea are safe from your wrath.

Each night, you will submit the name of a player whom you would like to drag down to the depths, never to be seen again. On night one, in place of killing, you will launch two jellyfish pods which will attach to random players. If any night action by the jellies is performed against these players, the pods will activate and they will join your cause.

You may communicate freely with your teammates:

MWB - Irukandji Jellyfish
Juice - Mangrove Jellyfish
Hockeynut - Sea Wasp Jellyfish

Once during the course of the game, if 3 or more jellies (the original players, NOT the recruits) are alive, they may forego all other night actions to bind together to form a Portuguese NAN 'O War and launch an attack that cannot be stopped.

Note that while this kill cannot be blocked, you must forfeit any other actions you may have available that night to do so.
Irukandji Jellyfish, played by MWB

You are the Irukandji Jellyfish. What you lack in size, you make up for in excruciating pain!

The player who kills you or casts the deciding vote on you will contract Irukandji Syndrome and will not be able to vote or perform any role duties for 2 days.

relantel - Lion's Mane Jellyfish (Alpha)

Once during the course of the game, if 3 or more jellies (the original players, NOT the recruits) are alive, they may forego all other night actions to bind together to form a Portuguese NAN 'O War and launch an attack that cannot be stopped.

Note that while this kill cannot be blocked, you must forfeit any other actions you may have available that night to do so.
Mangrove Jellyfish, played by Juice

You are the Mangrove Jellyfish. You are a creepy sob that hangs out on the surface, barely resembling a jellyfish.

This deceptive appearance comes in handy as you are completely immune to night actions!

Sea Wasp Jellyfish, played by Hockeynut!

You are the Sea Wasp Jellyfish.

Your poison is legendary - all would do well to avoid you. Attackers and voters alike may fear your wrath. If voted out, random.org will decide the fate of the first and last voter. They can either be poisoned, in which case they must be 'protected' during the following night phase, or they will die. if you are killed through any other action, the attacker will die (if applicable)

Jellyfish Liasons, played by CBear3 (activated) and Rylan (lost when recruited by Gaucho)
WTF is that in your room?
The strange thing you found in your room has been activated. You are now a Jellyfish Liason. I don't know what that is exactly, but you're one of them. You now serve the Jellies.
The Sloogs:

Borneo Ninja Slug, played by Gaucho

You are Borneo Ninja Slug

At night, you wrap your long tail around your body, rendering yourself immune to night actions.

But wait, there's more! On odd nights, you will shoot a single love dart that will attract a random travelling tourist to your cause. Each recruit will come with a random, one-shot ability.

Your goal is to eliminate the Jellyfish and gain the majority over the travelling tourists
Lovestruck Tourist, played by Kicksave (Night Kill), King Colby (Night Protect), dodint (Day Protect), and Rylan (Day Kill).
You've been Love Struck Baby!

Your heart has been pierced by a literal dart of love. You now serve the sloogs! :slug:

You may communicate freely with Gaucho - Borneo Ninja Slug

The power of love has granted you a special, one time ability: POWER. Description.

Your goal is to eliminate the Jellyfish and gain the majority over the travelling tourists
Possible abilities:

Night Protect - target is immune to night kill
Day Protect - target cannot be voted out or day killed
Night Kill - may kill one player at night
Day Kill - Must post Day Kill NAN in the thread. Day ends immediately with player sacrificing themselves to take out the named player.
See - may look up the identity of one player at night
Roleblock - may block one player from performing their role @ night
Dirty Bomb - last voters dies if RP; if it is a regular player, they are lovestruck.
Thief - investigate one player at night. If it is a RP, they steal their powers, if applicable. powers, if applicable.

-------

Actions:

Night 1:

WK - self
SDD - columbia
Gaucho - Kicksave (Night Kill)
Relantel - CBear3, Rylan

Day 1:

5 Juice - Cbear3, redwill, Silentom, willeyeam, MR25
6 Silentom - slappy, mimh, Hockeynut, MWB, WK, Kicksave
2 dodint - obhave, columbia
1 obhave - Rylan
1 redwill - Juice
1 MR25 - SDD

Sloog protocol:

Silentom
dodint
obhave
redwill
Silentom
Juice
Silentom
Juice
dodint
Silentom
Juice
MR25
Juice
Juice
Silentom
Silentom

Night 2:

WK - self
SDD - slappybrown
Kicksave - nope
Relantel (via MWB) - slappybrown

Day 2:

1 Hockeynut! - columbia
7 MR25 - Cbear3, King Colby, willeyeam, mimh, Gaucho, MWB, Rylan
1 Willie Kool - obhave
1 obhave - WK

Sloog protocol:

MR25
Hockeynut!
MR25
Willie Kool
MR25
MR25
MR25
obhave
MR25
MR25

Night 3:

WK - self
SDD - CBear3
Gaucho - King Colby (Night Protect)
Kicksave - no PM
Relantel (via hockeynut) - WK

Day 3:
6 obhave - WK, Hockeynut, King Colby, MWB, CBear3, Gaucho
5 MWB - SDD, redwill, BigMcK, MIMH, obhave,

Sloog protocol:

MWB
obhave
obhave
obhave
MWB
obhave
MWB
MWB
obhave
MWB
Obhave

Irukandji victim:

BigMcK
redwill
SDD
obhave
MIMH

Night 4:

Wk - self
Sdd - wk
Kicksave - redwill
King colby - nope
Relantel (via hockeynut) - obhave

Columbia leaves games

Day 4:

8 King Colby - WK, CBear3, SDD, Hockeynut, Kicksave, Gaucho, Juice, willeyeam
1 dodint - King Colby

Night 5:

WK - self
SDD - Gaucho
Gaucho - dodint (Day Protect
Relantel (via hockeynut) - NAN O WAR - WK

Day 5:

2 relantel - Juice, Hockeynut
7 mimh - sdd, CBear3, Kicksave, willeyeam, Rylan, dodint, Gaucho

Night 6:

SDD - Hockeynut
Dodint - nope
Relantel - modkilled
Hockeynut - Bigmck

Day 6:

Hockeynut - SDD, Rylan, Kicksave, dodint, Gaucho

SDD and Gaucho are poisoned

Night 7:

Gaucho - Rylan - Day Kill - Must post Day Kill NAN in the thread. Day ends immediately with player sacrificing themselves to take out the named player.

SDD - Juice
Juice - Cbear3
Dodint - Kicksave

Day 7:

1 Rylan - Cbear3
3 Juice - dodint, willeyeam, Rylan
1 CBear3 - Juice

Sloog Protocol:

Juice
Rylan
Juice
Juice
CBear3

Night 8:

Cbear3 - Rylan

Day 8:

2 CBear3 - dodint, Kicksave
2 dodint - CBear3, willeyeam

Sloog protocol:

dodint
dodint
CBear3
CBear3

Night 9:

Cbear - willeyeam

-------

The Sloog Protocol:

This was enacted whenever the village failed to meet the required majority during any day phase, regardless of vote distribution.

It was fairly simple... all of the vote-getter's names were placed into a list, once per vote, and run through random.org. Whomever came up first was the lucky "winner". As you can see, it followed the leading vote getter initially, but stung MWB... in fairness though, that vote was nearly even, so it was just slightly less odds of "winning".

Some mods will do nothing if there is a tie. Some will accept the non-majority if one player is leading the vote. Jellyfish Invasion is its own beast, however. I have threatened the sloog protocol in past games, but never had trouble getting the majority because typically people would rather make a decision than leave it up to chance. Maybe you get lucky, like the MWB vote, but you don't learn as much when half the players aren't even voting. I seriously hope this doesn't become a trend in future games.

-------

Closing thoughts:

It was very strange running a Jellyfish Invasion with no c2i, shad, or NAN. They've been there for all of the past games.

It was hard for me to judge whether I should adjust the recruiting abilities of the Jellies and Slug with the number of players we had. Early JI games featured up to 35 players, and I think even the latter games had in the 25 range or so. It may have seemed that there were an unusually high number of RPs by the end of the game, but by the same token, things could have gone much differently had Gaucho been voted out prior to Night 3, and if Juice targeted someone other than CBear3. Would I have tweaked this in retrospect? Not sure that I would.

Hopefully everyone enjoyed the game... this was a LONG time coming... I think I first teased it last December. I try to put a ton of thought into every aspect of the game, be it the roles or the writeups. it means that it takes me a long time to put games together, but I think it delivers a good experience for the players.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to mah drink.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:17 pm

With rel being MIA, the jellies shouldn't have been allowed to Nan-O-War me.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:19 pm

Thanks for the game twc. Had fun, especially arguing with KC during his false role claim.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:24 pm

Great work, twc. Really. Much appreciated.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:28 pm

that was my first JI experience. well done :thumb:

the wicked child

Postby the wicked child » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:58 pm

With rel being MIA, the jellies shouldn't have been allowed to Nan-O-War me.
I hadn't realized at that point that he was completely MIA. I usually give players 3 full phases before modkilling for non participation, especially early in the game.

With everything being so slow in general, I failed to notice he hadn't even posted in the thread. He did respond to my initial pm, so I knew he was around at least very early.... Didn't even think to check to see if he had posted.

So in retrospect, he probably should have been removed sooner. However, they may have also used it sooner if I had warned him. Iirc, there were at least a couple phases between their first attack and the nan o war.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:01 pm

Did I come back to life yet?

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:07 pm

King Colby asked me what role to claim and I suggested ... Sea Wasp. I had to chuckle when it turned to be an actual role.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:30 pm

I had badass powers, you blue fckers.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:07 pm

Super fun game. Thanks!

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:37 pm

Thanks for the game.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:18 pm

Thanks for the game twc. Had fun, especially arguing with KC during his false role claim.
Lol it wasnt much of an argument. I knew i was toast so i tried to cause as much chaos as possible while my fellow oranges kept their mouths shut.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:22 pm

Very fun game. Thank you.

I didnt know when i died that TWC was going to disclose that i had night protect powers. If i had realized that, i would have said that i protected WK on the night he didn't die. Could have then had him lynched the next day

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:28 pm

I don't usually get too emotionally involved with warz, but @dodint not voting actually pissed me off. Hope that's not your new game. I liked your old style much better.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:31 pm

I don't usually get too emotionally involved with warz, but @dodint not voting actually pissed me off. Hope that's not your new game. I liked your old style much better.
The reaction to that by you (I guess? huh) and Hockeynut was pretty crazy. I usually play loose and fast with votes and decided, for no particular reason, to play it tight this time. I told myself I wasn't casting a vote until I was completely sure of something. Never intended to get under anyone's skin. The problem was with the new job and everything I didn't keep up with the game well and never really knew anything so I just didn't vote. :lol:

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:38 pm

I knew i was toast so i tried to cause as much chaos as possible while my fellow oranges kept their mouths shut.
You really should have said I was orange.
i would have said that i protected WK on the night he didn't die. Could have then had him lynched the next day
It might have made a few players leery of me, but I think actually getting a lynch out of that would have been tough.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:44 pm

I told myself I wasn't casting a vote until I was completely sure of something.
Unless you're the seer, you can never really be completely sure of anything in this game.

the wicked child

Postby the wicked child » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:08 pm

On Night 4, Hockeynut was forced to make a quick decision on who to kill since I believe he wasn't able to get in contact with rel or Juice.

In his PM, he mentioned that they should probably take out SDD before he goes after them, and obhave is probably blue... but ultimately decided on obhave at the last minute.

This was 2 nights before SDD looked him up, so he never would have been revealed.

Of course, the nature of his role landed him quite the lucky strike later when SDD and Gaucho were poisoned... through sheer luck, the seer and an enemy RP who was immune to night actions were taken down in one fell swoop.

This also meant that Juice was free to attack someone other than SDD that night, unknowingly leading to the recruit of CBear.

Even w/o c2i coming back to life, the crazy coincidences continue to pile up in JI lore.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:24 am

Can you recap the cbear recruit twist? I still dont get how it was activated

the wicked child

Postby the wicked child » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:38 am

The way it works is this: on night 1, instead of killing, 2 jellyfish pods are attached to random blues (via random.org of course).

(this is based of course on real life jellyfish activity)

The jellies don't know who these players are... Apparently even when they tell them in the thread ;)

Anyway, if the jellies perform any night action against said player, the pod is activated, and the player joins the jellies.

In this game, this meant only a night kill, but previous iterations have seen them have seer and role block powers as well.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:31 am

The jellies don't know who these players are... Apparently even when they tell them in the thread ;)
I thought I was totally screwed when I was recruited. Somebody was sure to do the whole "I'm going to reread the whole thread" bit and I'd be dead in a heart beat.
I figured the only defense was to be completely clean and tell everybody exactly what happened, just leaving out that I was the recruit. Luckily, ulf and I were debating the number of oranges left in so much detail that nobody had the energy to look back at me.

relantel

Postby relantel » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:06 pm

I just wanted to apologize to all for my sudden disappearance from the board from very early Wednsday until later Friday evening. It was very untimely to this game and not at all intentional. I already apologized to twc Friday night by PM. If I had realized my availability would have played out like that I would have asked for a modkill on Wednesday. And it's a big reason why I'm out for the next game, as while things are back to normal, next week will not be kind to daytime board availability.

I did joke with twc that I was just as visibile in this game as JI:4... one I wasn't signed up for. Not ideal, not ideal at all.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:08 pm

No worries, rel. You gave me a platform to prove that I could vote without actually having to put any thought into voting. ;)

What was the deal with @columbia drifting away? Was legit concerned for a while but he's still spewing nothingness all day everywhere else so I assume he's okay.

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:15 pm

I'm on a Schedule II drug and thus not able to follow complex and/or convoluted wars style arguments; so I left.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:24 pm

That explains all of it, then.