Invitation to Warz/Mafia Championship

Thingyman

Postby Thingyman » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:32 am

Invitation to The Warz/Mafia Championship Season 3

Hey guys, it's been a little while ;). I hope it's okay for me to make a thread about this.

I am making this post with the hopes that 5AF would be interested in participating in Season 3 of the Mafia Championship.

The Mafia Championship is an annual online tournament series that pits representatives from various forum Mafia communities against one another as they compete to determine the Internet’s greatest forum Mafia player. The representatives are officially and democratically chosen to be “Champions” by their respective communities.

Season 1 (2013-2014) featured 100+ players from 45+ different communities, and the Season 2 (2015) boasted an even more impressive count of 70 different communities represented. The creator of Mafia himself (Dmitry Davidoff) has even supported and endorsed the series by previously offering to privately chat with the ultimate winner.

This year we’re expanding once again; 136 communities will be invited to participate, making this not only the biggest Mafia event ever, but also the largest cross-forum event in the history of the Internet.

Are you interested?

I am hoping very much that this all sounds exciting! If interested, I would need you all to name one representative to play on your community's behalf. How you decide this representative is completely up to you. To guarantee your community a spot in Season 3 of the Mafia Championship, I will need to know of your community's interest within the next week (until April 4th). Following this, you will have an additional two weeks to decide your nominee (until April 18th). Additionally, it would be a very good idea to also name an alternate.

When deciding your nomination, please consider the following: You should of course be aiming to send one of your best players. But more importantly this individual needs to be able to participate adequately in terms of activity. Be prepared for at least upwards of 500 posts per 24 hours during the early stages of the game. The representative needs to not only be able to read all this, but should also at least be able to manage 10+ posts per day phase. I repeat: These games will be active.

Season 3 Specifics

• 136 different communities are invited to participate. If some decline the invitation, I may opt to allow larger communities an additional nominee.
• 8 Qualifying Games will be played with 17 players each.
• 2 players advance to the Finale Game from each game based on post-game votes.
• 1 Wildcard Game will be played (Wildcards are decided by a jury consisting of former finalists), determining the 17th and final spot in the Finale. Runner-ups in this game will be first in line to replace any finalists who may have to drop out.

Season 3 Timeline & Important Dates

The first Qualifying Game is set to start April 25th. Additional games will take place in the 1-3 months following. I will create a Doodle and find out the best times to start the various games so that preferably everyone gets to play during a time that suits them well.

In addition to this, it is also a priority to ensure as much as possible that all the players in any given game has no prior history of playing with each other to ensure a level playing field (but I cannot 100% guarantee that this won’t happen).

Season 3 Game Design & Setup

For each season, we’ve changed it up. This time, we’re doing something new again!

The setup is called Matrix12 and is inspired by mafiascum’s popular Matrix6 setup, if any of you are familiar with that. In short, the concept is that there are 12 different possible setups and the host randomizes which one is used. The players know what setups are available, but not which one will be used!

I can link to the setup if a link is okay.

Regarding lynch mechanics: There will be a deadline each day phase, and the person with the most votes at the end of the day is lynched, unless a majority has already been reached before then, in which case the day ends prematurely.

Days will last 36 hours and nights 12 hours, meaning 48 hours (2 days) per game day. With one exception: The weekend (Friday, Saturday and Sunday) will be one game day (so day will be 60 hours and night 12 hours on weekends).

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:29 am

Sorry, too busy with Rock/Paper/Scissors right now.

Panther

Postby Panther » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:33 am

Interested and would represent.

I lurked this forum for a while and only registered when I discovered Warz and wanted to play. Haven't been here in a long time because I actually went over to MafiaUniverse to play. The activity is a lot different over there- for a 17 player game like this I'd probably expect well over 1,000 posts per day phase.

Would bow out to someone who is more of a 5AF fixture if there's other interest.

Panther

Postby Panther » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:33 am

A+

columbia

Postby columbia » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:34 am

:pop:

Thingyman

Postby Thingyman » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:25 pm

Panther is interested, so I'm locking in a spot for you guys.

Let me know if there are any other volunteers; if not, seems like Panther's got it.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:42 pm

Sounds really cool, wish I could guarantee I would have the time.

Good Luck Panther. Do us proud!

Thingyman

Postby Thingyman » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:35 pm

Hi guys

Your representative has been scheduled for the game below.

Game 5 - May 23 (36/12 phases, American deadlines)
Azure (Stickpage)
Beck (NovoCiv)
faZ (NADoTA)
Flare (Survival of the Fittest)
Ghowilo (Gtx0)
Jaime Lannister (Zelda Universe)
jpmegami (IGN Boards)
Knight (Old Gold & Black Forums)
Kuhn (Neoseeker)
Linkcat (Elements)
My Immortal (GameFAQs)
Panther (Fifth Avenue)
Sorian (NeoGAF)
Stork (DailyMafia)
SVNBob (Previously.TV)
Spirederman (UK Football Forums)
OPEN/RESERVED SPOT

The game is taking place on Mafia Universe. You can find the specific subforum dedicated to the championship here: http://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/for ... nship-2016

I want to talk about and spectate the game - what do I do?

If you wish to actively spectate and show support for your representative, then there are two ways of doing this.

1) There will be a private spectator thread on the site for each game that you may request access to. Simply register on the site and PM the user "Thingyman", and I will add you. Feel free to spectate games that your representative isn't in as well. These threads are published after the game completes.

2) We have a spectator chat on Skype, with currently more than 140 people in it. It's very active and fun, I highly suggest you join it if you have Skype. Just add me: thingyman. Please let me know which community you hail from when adding me.

None of these two chats/threads will be spoiled!

Finally, we kindly ask that you refrain from commenting too much on the games in public on this forum, as the other representatives will easily be able to find and read through this (as has happened in the past). I can't control what you do here, but out of respect for the integrity of this Championship, it's best if you don't discuss your reads on your representative or the other players or make comments that could potentially indicate your reads. I.e. even something like "oh man, our representative is totally being his usual self right now" is not good. Speaking very generally about what has happened so far in the game (so as to update your fellow community members) without commenting on it is fine though.

I hope this doesn't seem too strict to you guys, but the game can become very uncomfortable (and unfair) if there is discussion about it outside of the game thread. If you want to have your own private spectator chat, that is of course also totally fine and I even encourage it (I'd love to be added if you make one of these) :)

I wish your representative and your community all the best of luck for this season! :)

Thingyman

Postby Thingyman » Mon May 23, 2016 8:48 am

Hi guys

Panther's game just started: http://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/thr ... ampionship

It's already gotten 100 posts in the first half hour. Strap yourselves in for this one :P

If you want to spectate and/or talk about the game, remember to please either do this privately or PM Thingyman on the above site to be added to the private on-site thread or better yet: Add Thingyman on Skype and I'll throw you into the very active and fun spectator chat on Skype with 200+ ppl.

Good luck to your representative and your community!

Thingyman

Postby Thingyman » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:17 am

Hello guys

Once again, thanks for participating in this year's Mafia Championship. It was great to have you be represented, and hopefully you'll be there for next year's season as well :)

I thought you might be interested to know that the finale for this season finally started yesterday. 136 communities, 9 games and almost 6 months later - it's finally time for the final 17 players to battle it out to find out which player will earn the title of the Internet's best mafia/werewolf player.

Want to spectate the finale?

If any people from your community are interested in following along and spectating, you can find the game thread here: http://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/thr ... op-DAY-ONE

The OP post contains a spoiler box called "Threadmarks". Inside this, a table of links to important events will be automatically generated. I.e. it will link to the various day and night starts, for example, making it easier for spectators to get an overview of the game. Day 1 ends tonight at 8 PM EST.

If you'd also like to chat with other spectators about the game, we have a huge chat on Skype with almost 200 people. If you're a social butterfly, this is also just a great opportunity to talk with other mafia/werewolf enthusiasts about whatever - it's a very friendly bunch. Join this chat by adding me on Skype: thingyman (the one with a picture).

Additionally, you can also join the on-site spectator thread by PM'ing "Thingyman" on the site. Note that activation emails will probably go to your spam folder. If you are having trouble with anything, try PM'ing me here.

Hydra event interest?

At least a dozen different communities this year expressed an interest in a so-called "hydra event". If you don't know what "hydra" means, it's when two people share the same account (two heads). So the idea is that each participating community can send a hydra of two players, the advantage of which is that it's maybe easier to be active when two players are both playing on the same account, and it's also just a lot of fun.

If you are interested in participating in such an event, do let me know and I'll start making a list of interested communities. I don't expect all 135 communities to participate in this at all, so it'll most likely be a smaller thing and obviously it will just be for fun.

Panther

Postby Panther » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:36 pm

Thingyman incoming
@Willie Kool
any interest?

Panther

Postby Panther » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:37 pm

15 player "mountainous" game aka no power roles - just posts and reads and bluffs
12 v 3